IGNORED

air pressure in shocks??

Flash105

I assume, since you are using a pump, that you are riding a RSV. That being the case, you will have to experiment a bit to decide what works best for you. It depends upon several factors like your weight, passengers weight, etc. I found that 30 - 35 lbs. was a good number that worked whether I was riding alone or with a passenger. When pulling a trailer, I upped it to around 40 lbs.

Thanks everyone!! Bought a new 2000 midnight, rode it for a few years then we had a child!!! My son is now 17 and I'm ready to ride again!! Bought a 08 Venture and I'm trying to get it back to perfection!!!

Just ordered a pump for the shocks what pressure should I run in the back?? Is the front adjustable also?

Is the pump going to be installed on the bike? Where do I get one of these and how is it installed?

No The air pump is not installed on the RSV. Most use a small hand pump to adjust the air in the front shock as they only hold 7#. Any more than that it will blow the seals out. As for the rear you will have to adjust it to what ride you like up to 57# max. Harley makes a nice pump for their shocks , that is what I use.

Just a follow up here in the interest of our club.. The pump that many of use, as mentioned by Roller a couple posts back is something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Harley-Davidson-Touring-Motorcycle-Bike-Air-Shock-Suspension-Pump-100-PSI/293480127919?epid=1346375362&hash=item4454c75daf:g:4rgAAOxybqpRhdKA

Many of us, myself included, have found that using a compressor to put air in shocks is not a good idea.. The air over shocks in our bikes are not like recharging the nitrogen on a dirt bike rear shock.. Its actually fairly low pressure we deal with in a very small quantity.

i

Also, it turns out that in this thread the club guru's were talking later model bikes. The 1st Gens that many of us ride were/are also remote fill - not all had onboard compressors. The fork inlet is found on the dash (at least on my 83/84's MK1's) - there is an actual shrader valve cover up by the key,, to the left.. Fork max IMHO is 14 or 15 pounds.. Personally I like running Progressive springs, 3/4 inch of pre-load, 12 weight Bel Ray to 3 1/2 inches from top with fork compressed and springs inside when filling, then NO air.. Rear shocks on the 1st Gens were capable of wayyy more pressure than the later models.. I run 70 pounds with 2 up and full load and it works awesome.. 50 pounds when riding alone makes an excellent handling scoot IMHO..

IMHO, Makes no difference what scoot your putting air in shocks,, those little hand pumps (last one I bought was 15 bucks but it was non HD) are a must if you CTFW a lot..