IGNORED

All chromed up and ready to go

I just can't do the black thing, give me chrome...it always gets me home. I think these bikes clean up pretty nice. Chrome trunk rack didn't show in this pic but adds the right amount back there too. First short ride yesterday and I can tell you it's way, way faster.

Now I'll try my first attached pic

JR

Cropped.jpg

• Like 1

I just can't do the black thing, give me chrome...it always gets me home. I think these bikes clean up pretty nice. Chrome trunk rack didn't show in this pic but adds the right amount back there too. First short ride yesterday and I can tell you it's way, way faster.

JR

This is exactly what I want to do to mine. I can't find a chrome shop around here at the moment. I like the air cleaner cover as well. What did you do to the other side of the engine and the plastic cover? (piece looks like the air cleaner cover). Also where did you get the passenger floorboard bottom piece from if you don't mind me asking?

Edited by Dhansonrrt

We know you have just the right amount of chrome when we can see the reflection of you taking a picture for us lop eared :photographing: loving varmints in your VERY purdy chrome air breather :big-grin-emoticon::thumbsup:!!!!

And,, by the way JR,, you are correct,, Red is faster,, I know cause ecbaatz told me so last night in VR chat :big-grin-emoticon:

GORGEOUS SCOOT JR!! CONGRATS!!

This is exactly what I want to do to mine. I can't find a chrome shop around here at the moment. I like the air cleaner cover as well. What did you do to the other side of the engine and the plastic cover? (piece looks like the air cleaner cover). Also where did you get the passenger floorboard bottom piece from if you don't mind me asking?

I need to take more better pics outside but for now you'll get the idea of the left side in my attached pic. I hope the fact that the Air Cleaner cover is not plastic will not disappoint you...lol

It's all Stainless Steel that Yamaha painted that god awful dull yellow.

Passenger floor board idea came off my 2006 Road Star sitting next to this bike looked like it would bolt right on so I ordered it. Hardly any left in the country but Texas dealer had two sets. Expensive but it's only money anyway I ordered but they don't fit. Upon looking it was a tiny little matter of grinding most of only one of the mounting bolt head enough to get the screw to clear so the boards will fold up.

I'll try attach another pic

Cropped Left Side.jpg

• Like 1

We know you have just the right amount of chrome when we can see the reflection of you taking a picture for us lop eared :photographing: loving varmints in your VERY purdy chrome air breather :big-grin-emoticon::thumbsup:!!!!

And,, by the way JR,, you are correct,, Red is faster,, I know cause ecbaatz told me so last night in VR chat :big-grin-emoticon:

GORGEOUS SCOOT JR!! CONGRATS!!

Yeah the reflection part, I hid behind my cell phone best I could. Ohhh, way faster...it's a Rocket now...lol Thanks for the compliment !!

Totally agree on the chrome thing, and it looks really perfect with that red! Beautiful bike for sure.

Craig

Thanks for the compliment !! You can do the same thing, it's Stainless Steel. I found out how expensive to have the stuff polished. In hind site I would buy the most expensive tools and do it myself and have money left over I'm sure to what I paid. I thought the stuff was metal but after I took it to the guy a magnet won't stick.

I need to take more better pics outside but for now you'll get the idea of the left side in my attached pic. I hope the fact that the Air Cleaner cover is not plastic will not disappoint you...lol

It's all Stainless Steel that Yamaha painted that god awful dull yellow.

Passenger floor board idea came off my 2006 Road Star sitting next to this bike looked like it would bolt right on so I ordered it. Hardly any left in the country but Texas dealer had two sets. Expensive but it's only money anyway I ordered but they don't fit. Upon looking it was a tiny little matter of grinding most of only one of the mounting bolt head enough to get the screw to clear so the boards will fold up.

I'll try attach another pic

That looks great, So I know the cover on the right side is a cast metal, but the cover on the left side is plastic no? If it is Plastic where did you send it to get chromed and black coated again?

That looks great, So I know the cover on the right side is a cast metal, but the cover on the left side is plastic no? If it is Plastic where did you send it to get chromed and black coated again?

Oh ok, I see what your saying....on both sides of the bike you take the air cleaner looking thing cover off and you will find the metal is glued to the black plastic cover. I had the metal polished and then glued back on the black

did that help?

JR

Absolutely yes, chrome is my favorite color as the song goes and it don't show dirt as fast as black. Chrome ages with a lot more grace than black. Very nice looking bike there.:thumbsup2:

Absolutely yes, chrome is my favorite color as the song goes and it don't show dirt as fast as black. Chrome ages with a lot more grace than black. Very nice looking bike there.:thumbsup2:

Thanks for the compliment !! Yeah good point.....Chrome ages with a lot more grace than black. Give me chrome any day, these kids put John Deere flat black primer on everything they drive, I think they would look a lot better if they did the windows too

Oh ok, I see what your saying....on both sides of the bike you take the air cleaner looking thing cover off and you will find the metal is glued to the black plastic cover. I had the metal polished and then glued back on the black

did that help?

So on both side the ugly yellow plate on the Covers is made from metal? So it could be chromed as well then. Makes the engine and the whole bike look much better

So on both side the ugly yellow plate on the Covers is made from metal? So it could be chromed as well then. Makes the engine and the whole bike look much better

yes the covers are Stainless Steel. No you can't chrome Stainless Steel...but...you can polish it to look as good as chrome.

yes the covers are Stainless Steel. No you can't chrome Stainless Steel...but...you can polish it to look as good as chrome.

Actually you can chrome Stainless steel, many shops will chrome plate Stainless. Some even Nickel Chrome it. Nickel plate it, then chrome after, produces a bit better finish.

Actually you can chrome Stainless steel, many shops will chrome plate Stainless. Some even Nickel Chrome it. Nickel plate it, then chrome after, produces a bit better finish.

my bad, I should have typed some more. The problem with these covers is that he needed to weld tabs on the back for dipping in his tanks for chroming. At that point we found out the pieces are Stainless and could be polished which was cheaper than chroming. I know what you mean about show chrome finish but I can tell you that most average people would be hard pressed to tell the difference between show chrome and how these turned out. Compared to the satin finish Yamaha used and according to the pics these turned out like a million bucks and guys with these bikes can do this at home

but your right, I shouldn't have said no you can't chrome, I should have said don't bother to chrome. I feel bad now. I blew this pic up so anyone can see the new Yamaha foot board chrome and the round disc next to it and the pipe for comparison

Cropped 8.jpg

• 1 month later...

JR

Which trunk rack did you use and do you have a pic of it?

Thanks

Dave

• 5 months later...
On 4/27/2020 at 10:30 PM, JR333 said:

but your right, I shouldn't have said no you can't chrome, I should have said don't bother to chrome. I feel bad now. I blew this pic up so anyone can see the new Yamaha foot board chrome and the round disc next to it and the pipe for comparison

Cropped 8.jpg

So I am about to get my engine parts and the stainless trim below the windshield done. My question is how did the stainless pieces on the Air cleaner box and the other side come off and what did you use to re-attach?

• 2 months later...

I really did not like the brushed stainless steel plates on the air cleaner cover and left cover as well. I have a gray 2018 Venture and I did not think that the brushed covers went well with the rest of the bike. I debated over painting, powder coating or hydro dipping them and decided to go with hydro dipping.  After watching many hours of Youtube videos on how to hydro dip I thought it was something I could do myself and If it did not turn out well it could be easily removed. I used a carbon fiber pattern .

To remove the stainless steel plates from the plastic covers I used a heat gun and a plastic pry bar tool and slowly and gently was able to separate the covers. The plates are attached with an industrial strength double sided tape that remains stuck to the stainless steel plates. Goo Gone worked well to remove the remaining double sided tape from the parts. I ordered replacement tape from Cheap cycle parts (Part Numbers 2DF-21732-00 and 2DF-14239-00)

After scuffing with 320 sand paper and painting the plates with a silver base coat of paint I was ready to dip the parts. I tested the pattern on my Chevy trucks bow tie on the front grill because i thought if it did not work at least I did not mess up my Venture parts. 

After dipping the parts were sprayed with several coats of clear. I will put them on the bike and post pictures later.

By the way, The chromed plates look great as well JR333

20210221_052616.jpg

20210221_052648.jpg

20210220_104140.jpg

Thanks for the compliment sldunker. The nice thing about hydro dipping is that there are thousands of patterns to choose from and it can be removed and you can polished, painted, powder coat, what ever you feel like doing at a later date to the part.

I think I am going to put the carbon fiber pattern on a few of the ugly brushed stainless steel engine covers as well. The passenger foot rests will be powder coated to match the bikes paint. Powder coat is very durable and resists scratches.