IGNORED

Techron

videoarizona

For the past month, I've been hunkered down in Green Valley and not doing my usual 300 mile round trip back and forth to Phoenix. I've put 24K miles since March of last year, doing just that.

So last week, the youngest kidlet decides to move to East Coast...hmmm. We move her out of Tucson and up to Phoenix. Come home back to Green Valley. On way, I decide to put the 420 horses to work to get around an idiot (California plates) hogging the left lane with a "Lemming line" behind him. He would slow down passing a semi, then speed back up afterwards. No one can pass him. Really??!

So I wait.....and then it happens. A nice big break in Semi's. I let all 420 horses have their fun.....go zooming past the line and the leader at 100mph. Dam, this is a quick truck. Get back down to normal speed limit and notice the check engine light is on. Uh oh?

Get home, call up On Star....do a diagnostics please? Sure. Find nothing of consequence? Get an email from them listing the codes. I call dealer and get in. They check it out and tell me it's a cold start misfire code. But without the additional code for which fuel injector caused the initial code they can't do anything. They clear everything out and home I go. If it happens again with a injector code, they will replace the whole bank the injector is on. That's not good as my research shows that #1 goes then #7 . Then the rest. It's an easy fix but time consuming.

A few days pass....Check engine light comes back on. Sigh.....

Wifey says we need to take stuff up to the kidlet in Phoenix....OK. I grab a bottle of Techron and off we go in a loaded truck. About 1/3rd of the way up I stop and put that bottle in the tank. Drive on up. Unload truck, spend 2 days with the kid... then head back home. About half way home, I get a clear stretch and decide to give those injectors a rinse job and floor it. Zoom! I come back down to reality a few minutes later and cruise on into Tucson....then notice my check engine light is off. Nice!

Light still off and it's been 2 days.

Bottom line: Less than 200 miles on a bottle of Techron and my injectors are clean! I'm impressed.

Here's my thinking about the injectors. My truck did a lot of miles to Mexico with it's first owner. Pemex gas is not very good stuff in the rurals of Mexico. My 6.2 motor "suggests" premium gas for best performance and economy. Well...I do use premium when I tow or am loaded. Other than that, she runs fine on regular. So I think the P.O. ran a lot of Pemex through the truck and the injectors didn't like it. When I bought the truck last March, it ran rough....and after using Costco Top Tier gas since then, it's run better and better until the check engine light came on. Now it's smooth as silk. I'm going to put another bottle of Techron in at the next fill up as a maintenance thing. Let's see if I can forgo this fuel injector issue for a while.....

Anyway, the stuff does work.

Stay safe....

:beer: :biker:

Yep, Techron is good stuff. Techron has PEA, polyetheramine, as their secret ingredient. I also use Gumout for high mileage engines with PEA. I put a bottle in my vehicles occasionally and in my motorcycles, boat motor, yard tools. It't really noticeable in the motorcycles, and small carbed yard tools. It cleared up a miss in my 150hpV6Yamaha 2 stroke outboard.

Thinking can be such a dangerous thing............

There is a device that you can buy that plugs into the harness between the trans and the engine computer that will lie to the engine computer about how fast you are going and it effectively removes the speed limits. BUT the system still knows how fast you were going and will kill the engine and drive line warranties because you have exceeded the design limitations.

I have Superchips programmers for my 02 F150 5.4L and my 05 Dodge Magnum Hemi. The programmers will allow you to raise the speed limit as much as you like. I set the Magnum on 180mph so it won't be limited if I get a wild hair. The truck is a never mind. I baby it for the most part. But, the program added a bunch of torque/hp to the F150, estimated by my butt-o-meter at about 20hp and increased fuel economy a tad. The program for the Magnum was advertised to add 12 hp and 15 ft lbs torque which seems about right. It was mostly noticeable in the improved throttle response. Don't think I need to worry about the warranty on my old faithfuls! My wife's Infiniti EX37 will outrun my Magnum Hemi in a drag race, so I don't want to increase her car's performance! Ha!

Glad to hear it seems to have worked for you.

Techron concentrate has been recommended to me by some knowledgeable techs.

One time I was at a Honda shop and a fellow came in from Mexico on his way to Americade. His motorcycle was running rough. The knowledgeable service writer told him to put in twice the amount called for, run up the interstate about 10 or so miles at high RPMs then turn around. If that didn't clear it up then the shop would work him in. It did the job.

I use a 12 ounce bottle at every oil change or if MC has been sitting for a while without Stabil Marine 360. Same with all of my cars but use 20 ounces on them.