IGNORED

No Short Cuts

AKRefugee

Late last fall I bought an used 06 from a local dealer with about 10K miles on it. The dealer put new rubber on it and advised me that they had done a complete safety check as well. When I picked the bike up I did a respectable check out of it, not my usual detailed check. One of the things I usually do when I buy a used bike is pull the wheels and check everything myself. Since the dealer told me they had done a safety inspection and had the wheels off when they changed the rubber I did not do this. I have now put about 5K miles on this bike. Last week I completely lost the rear breaks. Come to find out that the inside shoe was so worn that it had started grinding the pistons and that it had broken in half. If this shoe had decided to flip it could have immediately locked the rear end up, needless to say it would not have been a fun ride. I was quite surprised to have a rear brake go out so early since the rear brake is the last thing I use to slow any bike down. Guess the previous owner had a different riding style.

So what is my lesson learned here?

No matter how great these bikes are never ever ever not do an inspection you would usually do yourself. Just because someone else told you they had done an inspection does not mean that it was the same one you would do, or done to the same standard you would do it. Also, do not become complacent just because this ride is so reliable. It is, after all, still a bike and it can reach out and bite you if you forget that.

So what is my lesson learned here?

You already answered your question ....be more reluctant in trusting a dealer...:thumbsup2:

One of the things I usually do when I buy a used bike is pull the wheels and check everything myself.

Heck you have to check everything.

I bought a NEW truck a few years ago, larger truck that could scale about 30,000 pounds.

One of the documents I received when I took possession was a paper that showed all the things that the dealer had checked before delivery.

On the way home the truck overheated, LOW on cooling water/anti-frieze.

Just can't trust them 15 year old wash kids.......

Jerry

Any one that has gotten the ride like a pro video will tell you that the techniques they teach you will wear out a rear brake quickly. I talked to a cop recently and the city of Greenville had just put a Cop threw the cop course and he mentioned that they had to replace the clutch and rear brake from what they do. Lots of practice in the friction zone. I just replaced the rear brake pads on my Harley last week.