IGNORED

lookjing for new rear shock

dueyk1111

This is from the Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Tour Deluxe and Star Venture forum.

New replacement shock choices. None are cheap.

(1) Buy a replacement OEM rear shock absorber from Yamaha.

(2) Buy a replacement from WORKS PERFORMANCE.http://www.worxshocks.com/html/about.html

(3) Buy a replacement from HAGON

(one possible source for Hagon

http://www.hagonshocksusa.com

and also Hagon UK

Look up dfitzbiz- he repairs them . There is an earlier post (last couple of days) where mentions the repairs.

Thanks EtRider, I've been in contact with Duey and his shock will be coming my way for repair soon. Thanks for the bump!

dfitzbiz

In generic terms can you explain what it is that you do to repair them (the shock).

Curious minds would like to know.

What is it that you charge?

Thanks

Bubber

Thanks for asking Bubber. It is fairly simple: Here is an overview of the process.

RSV Shock Repair Overview

Here is a brief overview of the process:

I use a 12 ton shop press from Harbor Freight.

Remove the Schrader valve.

Remove the rubber boot. (this is important, if left on you will damage it with the press)

Invert the shock supported by the top clevis, don’t support it by the housing. It will press the shock apart. Compress the shock to bleed out the fluid, leave about 1.5” of the chrome ram exposed. A couple strokes should do it.

Support the shock, bottom clevis up in a vise (I use a JawHorse). Don’t overtighten and deform the shock body.

Carefully place a new Buna N size 218 O ring over the bottom clevis onto the neck of the body.

Install the special tool with the cross bolt through the clevis. Place 1” blocks under each vertical bolt and depress the housing about 1/4” to expose the old O ring.

With a hook, grab the old O ring cut it and remove it.

Slip the new O ring, positioned earlier, into the O ring grove. Back out the vertical bolts and the O ring is installed.

To put in the new fluid, support the shock in the press, I use a 1x2 pine, top side up and depress the shock about 1.5”.

Pour 125ml of suspension fluid into a small container. Place the end of the air hose in the fluid and extend the shock. This will create a suction/siphon and draw fluid into the shock. This process is part suction and part syphon and takes a couple cycles of up and down over about 10-15 minutes. I depress the shock about 1.5”.

Replace the Schrader valve and rubber boot.

Repair complete.

I charge $50 for US Venturerider members and that includes return freight to the customer. Due to postage costs I have to charge Canadian customers $100 USD.Shock Absorber Extender.docx

Shock Absorber Extender Photo.JPG

Edited by dfitzbiz

Thanks for asking Bubber. It is fairly simple: Here is an overview of the process.

RSV Shock Repair Overview

Here is a brief overview of the process:

I use a 12 ton shop press from Harbor Freight.

Remove the Schrader valve.

Remove the rubber boot. (this is important, if left on you will damage it with the press)

Invert the shock supported by the top clevis, don’t support it by the housing. It will press the shock apart. Compress the shock to bleed out the fluid, leave about 1.5” of the chrome ram exposed. A couple strokes should do it.

Support the shock, bottom clevis up in a vise (I use a JawHorse). Don’t overtighten and deform the shock body.

Carefully place a new Buna N size 218 O ring over the bottom clevis onto the neck of the body.

Install the special tool with the cross bolt through the clevis. Place 1” blocks under each vertical bolt and depress the housing about 1/4” to expose the old O ring.

With a hook, grab the old O ring cut it and remove it.

Slip the new O ring, positioned earlier, into the O ring grove. Back out the vertical bolts and the O ring is installed.

To put in the new fluid, support the shock in the press, I use a 1x2 pine, top side up and depress the shock about 1.5”.

Pour 125ml of suspension fluid into a small container. Place the end of the air hose in the fluid and extend the shock. This will create a suction/siphon and draw fluid into the shock. This process is part suction and part syphon and takes a couple cycles of up and down over about 10-15 minutes. I depress the shock about 1.5”.

Replace the Schrader valve and rubber boot.

Repair complete.

I charge $50 for US Venturerider members and that includes return freight to the customer. Due to postage costs I have to charge Canadian customers $100 USD.https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=118658

Here is a pic of the tool.Shock Absorber Extender.docx