IGNORED

no brake light on front brake

I just found out that I have no brake light on my 85 vr when I pull the front brake. I am presuming this is the switch shot in the lever, has anyone done this and what is involved in replacing it?

I would like to save a buck or two if I can do it myself.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Brian

Brian...

first verify it is the brake switch itself thats faulty.....

-unhook the brown and green/yellow wires.....test with voltmeter with key on that you have 12 V on the brown wire.....if all is good....

-jumper between brown and green/yellow to see if brake light illuminates....if no light....you have a problem in the harness going to the CMS. The front and back switches are wired in parallel for a portion of the harness, so that is the section to inspect. If light is working jumpering switch....switch is the culprit.

I don't have my bike handy to check...but I think the brake lever switch has a plunger like the clutch lever.....when you pull on lever, it uncovers the plunger, which extends out to complete the circuit. Make sure the plunger is free to move.....work it back and forth to free it up if it isn't. If you still can't get it to activate light, to remove it there should be a spring loaded pin on underside in a hole....you depress the pin with a small screwdriver and the switch should pull off.

I don't have my bike handy to check...but I think the brake lever switch has a plunger like the clutch lever.....when you pull on lever, it uncovers the plunger, which extends out to complete the circuit. Make sure the plunger is free to move.....work it back and forth to free it up if it isn't. If you still can't get it to activate light, to remove it there should be a spring loaded pin on underside in a hole....you depress the pin with a small screwdriver and the switch should pull off.

Correct...........:thumbsup2:

I dunno, I'd kinda like to be able to use my front brake with out the brake light. That way I could slow down quick on a tailgater and let 'em think I don't have brake lights. They might back off!

If you plan to pull the switch apart, watch out for the spring inside and the parts that come before it (little plastic round thing in the end) These tend to become supper for the scoot and then it's a new switch, like it or not. Actually, I'd advise to save yourself some time and frustration buy the new switch, I played with mine for a year and never was really happy with the results until a new one was installed.

I dunno, I'd kinda like to be able to use my front brake with out the brake light. That way I could slow down quick on a tailgater and let 'em think I don't have brake lights. They might back off!

Or they might run up your tailpipe.....:no-no-no:

Thanks everyone for the ideas and help, the plunger was stuck in so ive taken it out and cleaned things up a bit, so now it works but there seems to be scratches on the plastic ball thingy inside, so I think its just a matter of time before it binds again.

So I think I am gonna order a new switch just to have one around cause the stealer here doesnt stock anything.

Brian:cool10::cool10:

• 5 years later...

The 4 wire switches were only used on bikes with factory cruise as far as I know. I didn't think the 83 model had cruise on it from factory. My 83 owners manual does not mention it. It could have been added by a previous owner though. Somewhat complicated changes to add it it. It was one of the first major changes I did to my 83. Wiring harness needs changed, both brake & clutch switch need changed.

Below is a link to disassembling the brake & clutch lever switches for a 4 wire version. Titled 86-93 but they all 4 wire units are the same. The rear brake switch is a 3 wire unit with with cruise, 2 wire without.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42720

Gary