IGNORED

Creepy clutch

Shalom gentlemen, 06 rsv midnight venture, 27800 miles. When I pull clutch in and start the bike , I creep forward minutely. Been reading threads and am not sure if it is clutch replacement, just springs or what. There is no slippage going thru the gears. Any wisdom is appreciated.

Shalom my friend.. From a totally back yard mechanics brain who has never owned an RSV but who has fired a few shots on the MK1's so take this with a grain of salt, couple things come to mind. First would be air in the hydraulics.. If it were mine I would carefully bleed off the slave a little with a piece of clear tubing attached to the bleed nipple and the clear line draped over the seat so I could watch the fluid inside the line for air bubbles and I would be assured I was getting no air back into the slave as I was bleeding.. Next step, and even maybe more importantly IMHO, is I would turn the bars to the right to bring the master res as level as possible, I would stuff rags around and under the bango bolt at the master and carefully bleed from that joint.. It takes a little finess to do this but it does not take much bleeding there to remove air from that spot. Tiny little air bubbles like to gather there on my MK1's and those tiny bubbles, even one, can be just enough to cause compression of the fluid enough to mess up the travel on the slave piston resulting in incomplete pressure plate travel.. Does that make sense?

Next would be possible notching of the plate ears where they contact the clutch basket and/or "sawtoothing" on the basket flanges themselves.. This is very common on dirt bikes where clutches are used a lot while track/dirt riding.. I have encountered such on my worn out, beat up old 1st Gens too but I suspect this not to be the case on your scoot as I suspect you are not riding a beat up old bike with 200,000 plus miles on it..

I suppose running to heavy of oil or very cold oil could do something similar.. It would probably not be impossible for thick/heavy oil to be thick enough for a crawl to ensue upon initial disengagement.. Does it do this when warmed up? Did it just start doing this or been doing it for ever? Recently change your oil?

It's probably the clutch fluid. I changed mine not long ago because it looked like coffee with creamer, not the almost clear color it's supposed to be. Get yourself a bleeder kit and bleed from the bleeder port. Keep an eye on the fluid level as you bleeding, it doesn't take much to get her below that pin hole and introduce air into the system. My dumbass heard a hiss but thought it was somebody else in the neighboorhood and let it hiss for a few seconds. That mistake costed me many hours of pumping, filling, pumping, filling, pumping to make up for letting that little bit of air in.

After I was done she didn't even budge or jolt when I shifted from neutral while holding in the clutch. She shifted much smoother too. Good luck and hope its something as simple as the fluid!