IGNORED

V-4's are where the next sport tour bike is at from Ducati... A Multistrada

Du-Rron

Does a sit-up-and-beg, touring-oriented bike like the Multistrada really need an 1,103cc V-4 that has already proven capable of pushing out well over 200 hp in the Panigale and Streetfighter? Of course not. Do we want such a thing anyway? Oh yes. Long live the V-4

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/ducati-multistrada-v4-spied-in-testing/

The front radar monitors traffic ahead and allows the use of adaptive cruise control that keeps pace with the vehicle in front. A second radar unit at the back provides blind spot warnings—probably via indicator lamps in the mirrors—and alerts if a vehicle is approaching fast from the rear.

hmm... so why is a vehicle approaching fast from the rear?

I don't on this?

I certainly understand the differences between full and sport touring, yet I can't seem to feel the satisfaction gains for such a bike?

Ajay some 10ish years back thought we should should switch our sport riding to the Hayabusa... Then too I couldn't get my head around how it would fit our riding wants tho admittedly I view things from an old school lens.

This Ducati will keep its riders leashed to Ducati service centers, fine for some I know but really narrows the sport of touring for me.

My opinion is the same for V twins or 4's. Getting out on the open road "man and his machine" is for me a bond that should not be lost. I remember my winter tour in 07 of all the times I have crossed this country never did I feel more that bond of adventure! Every night before I closed the lights I went thru the bike to look for damage I may have done during the days ride; looked to solve induction icing issues, the effect of the cold on tire pressure and so on...

So from this point of experience I wonder where the sport of touring is headed? Fine for European countries but for hardcore like us here on this stretch of mountainous dirt I think the best of the touring adventures are somewhere in the rear view.

Reads like the Motorsport industry really hasn't a clue as to where to go.

Does a sit-up-and-beg, touring-oriented bike like the Multistrada really need an 1,103cc V-4 that has already proven capable of pushing out well over 200 hp in the Panigale and Streetfighter? Of course not. Do we want such a thing anyway? Oh yes. Long live the V-4

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/ducati-multistrada-v4-spied-in-testing/

Now come on Duey,,, you KNEW this was gonna get a :scared: out of me didn't cha:missingtooth::big-grin-emoticon::thumbsup:

Duey's a :stirthepot:,, Duey's a :stirthepot:,, Duey's :witch_brew::hihi:

Tell ya what brother,,, I been REALLY enjoying the winter (excluding the VIRUS stuff).. You been following the Indian Challenger stuff taking place too?? Just CRAZY!!

So, 2018,, Mom Yam gets a good solid :thumbsup: from all her past touring riders saying "we want air cooled, push rod, V-Twin big block torque,, neutured to under 5250 R's so no hp,, 70 hp is fine" in the new one soo she builds it...

HD, the mother of all air cooled, push rod V-Twin tourers had attempted a valiant shot at water cooling in a fine OHC engine in their high torque/high HP V-Rod and it fell flat on its face in sales so one can only wonder if Mom Yam wasn't getting reinforcement on her findings of the polling she did on those in the Yamaha touring know from that HD experience.. Of course,, you know cause you were here on VR,, all of us V-4 riders were wanting the big block 1700cc V-4 and were standing inline waiting for Mom Yam to actually turn the touring world upside down like she promised with a Beemer stomping 175 HP/160 ft/pds torque scoot = did we need it? nooo but did we want it,, ohhhhh yea LOL.. Now, 2 years after the unveiling of the new Yam,,, those left over SVTC's and Eluders are still sitting on showroom floors bringing back some not to distant memories of the V-Rods sitting in HD shops = what on earth... Sales are/have been flat line, last I checked a new SVTC could be had for under 17 large and an Eluder for 14.

Along comes Polaris.. They see a gap and go for it.. They build a water cooled, OHC V-Twin that dumps out 120 HP,, all about performance,,,, they name it the Challenger.. They stuff a fixed fairing on it,, sort of looks like a Road Glide.. Seems those things are growing feet like centipedes at the dealerships that can get em.. I truly think if Mom Yam would take a 3rd Gen,, pull the Twin,, open up the fake lowers and make those upper loovers functional with Rads behind them, drop in a 1700cc V-max mtr tuned a little for torque,,maybe.. Shaft drive it... Offer both the Twin and the V-4... Thinking that would be gold and bold..

THANKS DUEY,,,OL' PUC NEEDED THAT!! :big-grin-emoticon:

In English Please!

I'd also like to see someone build a ST bike for short people. There isn't, and so far as I know hasn't, been a ST bike with a less than 32in seat height made in the last 10+ years. I have a 28in inseam. I can't even ride a stock Venture flatfooted. If I mount the Mustang seats on my RSTC, I can't flatfoot it either! Fortunately I have a set of "Butlerized" seats for both my RSV trike and the RSTC. Are you still out there Rick? I've got another seat I'd like you to do!:sign67:

Now come on Duey,,, you KNEW this was gonna get a :scared: out of me didn't cha:missingtooth::big-grin-emoticon::thumbsup:

Tell ya what brother,,, I been REALLY enjoying the winter (excluding the VIRUS stuff).. You been following the Indian Challenger stuff taking place too?? Just CRAZY!!

So, 2018,, Mom Yam gets a good solid :thumbsup: from all her past touring riders saying "we want air cooled, push rod, V-Twin big block torque,, neutured to under 5250 R's so no hp,, 70 hp is fine" in the new one soo she builds it...

HD, the mother of all air cooled, push rod V-Twin tourers had attempted a valiant shot at water cooling in a fine OHC engine in their high torque/high HP V-Rod and it fell flat on its face in sales so one can only wonder if Mom Yam wasn't getting reinforcement on her findings of the polling she did on those in the Yamaha touring know from that HD experience.. Of course,, you know cause you were here on VR,, all of us V-4 riders were wanting the big block 1700cc V-4 and were standing inline waiting for Mom Yam to actually turn the touring world upside down like she promised with a Beemer stomping 175 HP/160 ft/pds torque scoot = did we need it? nooo but did we want it,, ohhhhh yea LOL.. Now, 2 years after the unveiling of the new Yam,,, those left over SVTC's and Eluders are still sitting on showroom floors bringing back some not to distant memories of the V-Rods sitting in HD shops = what on earth... Sales are/have been flat line, last I checked a new SVTC could be had for under 17 large and an Eluder for 14.

Along comes Polaris.. They see a gap and go for it.. They build a water cooled, OHC V-Twin that dumps out 120 HP,, all about performance,,,, they name it the Challenger.. They stuff a fixed fairing on it,, sort of looks like a Road Glide.. Seems those things are growing feet like centipedes at the dealerships that can get em.. I truly think if Mom Yam would take a 3rd Gen,, pull the Twin,, open up the fake lowers and make those upper loovers functional with Rads behind them, drop in a 1700cc V-max mtr tuned a little for torque,,maybe.. Shaft drive it... Offer both the Twin and the V-4... Thinking that would be gold and bold..

I quoted ALL of this because you have it ALL correct!

And...BTW, when I first read the article, you are right, the first thing I thought was ," Oh..Puc is gonna love this!"

Peace Prosperity Health & Long Life To You!

... Ajay some 10ish years back thought we should should switch our sport riding to the Hayabusa... Then too I couldn't get my head around how it would fit our riding wants tho admittedly I view things from an old school lens.

The 'Busa is too bent over for old fat guys to ride very long... Someting in a "Sit up and Beg" style is easier.

... This Ducati will keep its riders leashed to Ducati service centers, fine for some I know but really narrows the sport of touring for me.

That is a fact.

...My opinion is the same for V twins or 4's. Getting out on the open road "man and his machine" is for me a bond that should not be lost. I remember my winter tour in 07 of all the times I have crossed this country never did I feel more that bond of adventure! Every night before I closed the lights I went thru the bike to look for damage I may have done during the days ride; looked to solve induction icing issues, the effect of the cold on tire pressure and so on...

I do like a water cooled shaft drive V-4 better than an aircooled belt drive tour bike.

...So from this point of experience I wonder where the sport of touring is headed? Fine for European countries but for hardcore like us here on this stretch of mountainous dirt I think the best of the touring adventures are somewhere in the rear view.

Reads like the Motorsport industry really hasn't a clue as to where to go.

Well, if they ask me I could tell them exactly what I would buy. Less Multistrada and more tour oriented, but keep the Watercooled V4 and add a shafty drive.