IGNORED

Why Do I Like Riding Motorcycles?

cwtart

After not having ridden for 30 years and now buying 2 motorcycles within one year, I asked myself this question - why do I like riding motorcycles?

Not necessarily in this order:

1. The sense of freedom, being out in the wind, outside of a cage, on the open road.

2. I like the machinery, the mechanical creation that is a motorcycle - motorcycles are really neat mechanical devices.

3. I like the riding and controlling functions - shifting, throttling, braking, balancing - all of the aspects of controlling the machine I am sitting on.

4. I like the maintenance - being able to service and repair, by myself, this very complex machine.

5. The comaraderie of other motorcyclists - they are good people to be around - friendly and helpful - we all have something in common.

6. Seeing new places in a new way, even if I have been there before.

7. Having my wife sitting behind me, enjoying the experience with me.

8, Not having my wife behind me, enjoying the experience by myself.

9. Riding a motorcycle is cool, it does not make me cool, but the act of riding itself is cool beyond description.

There are many more reasons, but these are the most obvious to me. These were true when I was 16 with my first motorcycle (but no wife) and true now when I am pushing 70.

Please feel free to chime in if I missed anything.

Speaking with my uncle before he passed I mentioned I was riding again. I spoke of my last run to MTL, my broken foot, taping up and continuing on. Mentioned the 07 november ride the snow and ice, being blown of the highway...

I said I still do it to prove if only to myself that I still can and to face the challenge each long fetch of a quart of milk brings!

But I also do it to find myself, its the solitude of being out there just me and my machine.

I'd be careful of admitting to #8 tho, some doors slam hard ;)

I'd be careful of admitting to #8 tho, some doors slam hard ;)

Ha - my wife asks me from time to time if I mind having a rider - I always tell her that every motorcycle driver enjoys riding a motorcycle with or without a rider but just enjoys it more riding solo. She is good with that.

After not having ridden for 30 years and now buying 2 motorcycles within one year, I asked myself this question - why do I like riding motorcycles?

Not necessarily in this order:

1. The sense of freedom, being out in the wind, outside of a cage, on the open road.

2. I like the machinery, the mechanical creation that is a motorcycle - motorcycles are really neat mechanical devices.

3. I like the riding and controlling functions - shifting, throttling, braking, balancing - all of the aspects of controlling the machine I am sitting on.

4. I like the maintenance - being able to service and repair, by myself, this very complex machine.

5. The comaraderie of other motorcyclists - they are good people to be around - friendly and helpful - we all have something in common.

6. Seeing new places in a new way, even if I have been there before.

7. Having my wife sitting behind me, enjoying the experience with me.

8, Not having my wife behind me, enjoying the experience by myself.

9. Riding a motorcycle is cool, it does not make me cool, but the act of riding itself is cool beyond description.

There are many more reasons, but these are the most obvious to me. These were true when I was 16 with my first motorcycle (but no wife) and true now when I am pushing 70.

Please feel free to chime in if I missed anything.

What he said:beer:

Most of those reasons. Add not everyone can do it. Now a ride to work is only like 6 miles. A few years back I traveled for work every week and flew out of an airport 90 miles away. I always enjoyed the trip back and forth. It just was relaxing being able to put things out of your head. You have to concentrate on the task at hand, not all the confusion going on around you.

brings me closer to the god of my understanding, nothing can beat that. feelin the freedom of the open rode, be'n a big part of the world around me. soak'n up the wind n the sun shine, beautiful scenery to enjoy n find'n new places to ride to n xplore n friends to meet!:12101: