IGNORED

A dude ranch that matches horse to rider skill level

saddlebum

I was on a ranch late fall, the fellow there is a horse trainer with a solid reputation. I got to see him work with a young one he was training for a lady.

I could of sworn that he was talking to the horse, judging by the way the horse was looking at him thru her right eye made me wonder how?

His dog sat watching the whole thing as tho it knew exactly what was going on.

When he broke distance with the horse by taking a step back it reminded me of coming out of a meditation.

With people what I noticed about this fellow was there were two of him, one full of disrespect and the other that greeted with country hospitality.

Just goes to show, you never know what to expect from horse people, seems like they are very much like there pets just step on toes when ever or where ever the opportunity presents.

Just kidding saddlebum...;) Even with eastern time wake up, you are still not up early enough ;)

Edited by Patch

My brother had horses. One day I was visiting and he was resting his foot on the fence rail when one of his horses came over and very carefully bit the end of his boot while looking up at my brother to see his reaction. My brother had folded up his toes so the horse only had boot between his teeth. I was amazed. I didn't think horses had a sense of humor and would play with you like that.

The last time I rode a horse was at the Teton Village in Jackson Wyoming about 3 1/2 yrs ago. I have enough arthritis in my hips now that spreading my legs to fit over the saddle was painful during the entire ride. I was 72 then. Getting to be an old coot has its disadvantages.

One of the disappointments of my life is not having a horse. I came very close to buying a small acreage so I could keep a horse when I bought the property I now live on, but at that time decided instead to be a 'townie'.

Horses are smart, and have a long history of companionship with mankind, just like dogs do. A horse with humor doesn't surprise me.

There certainly is a lot more to a horses intelligence then most people give them credit for. Its often said it takes a good trainer to make a good horse but its all true that it takes a good horse to make a good rider. Mine used to take his lead rope off the fence and bring it to me when ever I showed up and this was all him he was never taught to do this. He also loved to run along side motorcycles that drove down the road along his fence line.

My wife and I have been trail riding for about 30 yrs. We have seen some beautiful country but some of the best is only about 90 minutes from us in the Shawnee National Forest in S. Il. Our home turf is Wrnaglers in Land Between the Lakes in W. Ky. Most recently rode and camped 3 days seeing the new year in. Good times. That sign is a chuckle!

• 1 month later...

I used to have a mare that thought the hubby was the greatest thing since carrots. She'd follow him around, insist he pay attention to her and ONLY her. She wasn't very high up in the herd pecking order but that would change if he was around. She even got jealous of her own foal getting attention from him. Feeding time was especially fun as I'd be putting out the feed buckets and if the hubby was around, she'd have a time trying to decide if it was more important getting him to pet her or eating!