IGNORED

New gun thread = openions welcome

slowrollwv

I am starting to hunt some after a 15 year layoff. I have several guns to use but they are on the heavy side. Most of them in the 10.5 LB. range. So I am thinking about either a Kimber Hunter 7MM-08 at 5.7 LB. or a Ruger American in the same caliber at 6.6 LB. The Kimber is about $900.00 and the Ruger is about $550.00. I do think that the Kimber is a better made gun than the Ruger. My youngest son has the Ruger American in 270 so I am aware of the gun.

IMHO

The best woods gun for deer hunting is the Winchester 94...30-30. I've hunted with different rifles and calibers, but that derned 30-30 has great knockdown power and easily reaches out to 200 yards.

It's short, light, accurate and powerful.

Probably my next fav would be my Winchester model 88, in .308....a bit more refined but still a lever action with the same attributes...a bit more ummmmffff....

I've done well over the years with both rifles.

Anyhoo, that's my :2cents:

Chuck, I have a Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08. Great gun and tips the scales at just over 6.5 pounds with the scope. If you would like to get together to try one before you buy let me know. I've transitioned my whole family to the 7mm-08, great white tail cartridge with light recoil even in a light rifle. We have 3 Model 700 SPS, 1 Model 7, 1 Model 7 youth and a Savage Axis in Muddy Girl Camo. I recommend the Remingtons but the Savage is an inexpensive (you get what you pay for) alternative.

Well, I use to deer hunt a lot and have owned a lot of different rifles. I have to say though, that if I could get ANY of them back, the one I would most desire is my Ruger M77 RSI in .308. I absolutely loved that gun. They are a bit hard to find now. I don't need it at all at this point but would still consider buying one if I could find a really nice one at a fair price.

I have no picture of the one that I had but this is the gun. I had a compact 2 x 7 Leupold on mine and it was perfect for the terrain in hunted in NE Texas.

wm_2231658.jpg

I love my 30 06 but it is a heavy rifle. I was able to hunt on a 5000 acre ranch with culling permits for a few years which is why I picked this rifle. I was able to drop a deer at 400 yds with 1 shot 90% of the time. I had to use it in a more wooded area a few times and with those close shots it would destroy a lot of good meat. I too have been considering a lighter lever action though and like the idea of a 30 30 with a good scope. As a side benefit it would be easier to pack on the bike too :smile5:. Maybe a short overnight hunt, hmmm, now I gotta think about this. I won't have time this season but next year . . . . . .

You said not much room for long shots so I'll throw this one out there. My favorite short range woods gun is an old Marlin lever 44 magnum. It's not much good out past 100 yards but the knock down is great. I bought it used 30 some odd years ago and couldn't even guess to the number of deer it's taken. Rarely have I ever looked for a blood trail, they don't go far enough to need it. I shoot jacketed hollow points that usually don't exit the deer, I find the bullet just under the skin on the exit side. To me it means the deer absorbs 100% of the energy from the bullet instead of a shoot thru wasting that energy. The gun store owner here tried to sell me ballistic tips last year but I want meat left on the bone. On the one farm that has some 300yd areas I switch to my 30.06.

I'm not going to comment on the type of oil I use on it though, that'll spark a whole new thread.

Edited by RDawson

Thanks for the input and offers. I have some of the guns mentioned here but I am looking at a new gun and smaller caliber that is why I thought of the 7MM-08. From the load charts that I have seen this gun is there with a 270 and 308. If I need more gun than that I can use my Rem 7MM mag. or Rem 300 mag. If I find open space that these will not handle I can go to my 30-378 Weatherby. Like I said I am looking for a light weight.

Another you may want to research is the Tikka T3 in 7mm-08. Very lightweight and accurate out of the box.

The loads that work best on deer are not great for bear, and the loads that are great on bear do not work well on deer. Plan to stock more than one loading.

I am deciding between the Tikka T3 and the Ruger American in 7mm-08 as my new lightweight deer gun for next year. for hunting I like Stainless and synthetic. I really like the ballistics of the 7mm bullets. My favorites are 140g Nosler Ballistic Tip for deer and 150g Nosler Partition for black bear.

I'm kinda partial to 7mm's as well, and really like a 7x57. Here's a Brno that I have that's fills both light weight and performance needs. Iron sights and for east coast hunting from 25 to 150 yards it works. For something a little heavier I also have a Herters J9 in 308. Never shot it but wouldn't hesitate packing it in brushy terrain..

2016-10-02 12.21.44 (Medium).jpg

2016-10-02 12.21.55 (Medium).jpg

1.jpg

cat.5.jpg

Jack those look great. I like the 308. I have a Rem. Mohawk 600 action in 308. that I could put a synthetic stock on and be good to go. When I got it the stock was in bad shape so I cut it down to a pistol grip. With by pods and scope it shoots sub MOA groups and only drops about 1" at 200 yards using Hornady 110 gr bullets. I took my Antelope at 245 yards with it a few years ago.

Jack those look great. I like the 308. I have a Rem. Mohawk 600 action in 308. that I could put a synthetic stock on and be good to go. When I got it the stock was in bad shape so I cut it down to a pistol grip. With by pods and scope it shoots sub MOA groups and only drops about 1" at 200 yards using Hornady 110 gr bullets. I took my Antelope at 245 yards with it a few years ago.

Yeah, that 308 is a sleeper. Never heard of it before picking it up. Commercial FN action, Douglas Bbl, Can-Jar trigger. I had a custom 264 with a Douglas and FN, and it drove tacks and shot like a frozen clothes line... Have no doubt that Herters 308 with the Douglas will perform as well ... Wish the knees hadn't given out. I'd be right there with ya...

Don't know if it is any good for hunting, but an AR15 is as light as they get. I bought a Sig Sauer model from the Walmart in Homestead FL when I worked there. I didn't need it but I wanted one.

I am right there with ya Sky,,,, Roller = AR-10 in 308!! Soooo much FUN!! Super light weight, got all kinds of really cool add on stuff to play with if your so inclined.. Binary Triggers (goes bang when ya pull and bang when ya release LOL), Drum Feed, multiple sighting arrangements with the right furniture, EASY to clean, easy to change calibers or swap out barrels.. CHEAP to shoot AND you can get TRACERS still very reasonable..

I am right there with ya Sky,,,, Roller = AR-10 in 308!! Soooo much FUN!! Super light weight, got all kinds of really cool add on stuff to play with if your so inclined.. Binary Triggers (goes bang when ya pull and bang when ya release LOL), Drum Feed, multiple sighting arrangements with the right furniture, EASY to clean, easy to change calibers or swap out barrels.. CHEAP to shoot AND you can get TRACERS still very reasonable..

Puc the AR's are a light gun but not to my liking. I don't go out and shoot up ammo just to hear it go bang. I like to play with reloading and have very good loads for the guns that I have and they will shoot under 5/8" at 100 yds. I just want a lighter gun for carrying in the mountains and think the Kimber or Ruger will be the next gun I buy.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would give an update on this. I finally pulled the trigger on a new Kimber Hunter with stainless action in 280 Remington Ackley Improved. The weight is actually what I was interested in with a new gun and this one is 5.13 lbs. without scope and rings. With scope and rings it will be around 7.4 lbs. I can live with that.

Jack that is a nice looking rifle. Do you know what it's weight is? I have owned a few Magnums and this is as close as I have found to the 7 MM mag.

It's light Chuck. It has a RAM Line stock and that saves a lot of weight. The action is a 93 Swedish Mauser, and I'm not sure what the 6.5x55 Swede bbl is?? The stock bbls military were stepped, much like the 98 Mauser in 7x57, and this one is a tapered sporter mystery bbl... Kimber built these things when still in Oregon. Here's a bit of info on the it. https://www.chuckhawks.com/kimber_swedish_mauser.htm Like the author of the article I picked up this one for much the same reasons, and it's absolutely like new...

Have fun with that new gun..... I have an older Kimber 6.5x55 out of Oregon... strickly for a collectable... that's very nice.. I've heard good things about the new ones... :thumbsup2:

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=118322

Jack, I have that same Kimber 6.5 Swede, it's a nice shooter that holds tight groups well out past 200 yards.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Jack, I have that same Kimber 6.5 Swede, it's a nice shooter that holds tight groups well out past 200 yards.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'll probably never shoot this one, but nice to know it will if need be?? Should make a dandy deer rifle.. I did pick up a box of 6.5 ammo just because. Who knows... maybe some day?? :-) Thanks for the input. Once Chuck runs a few rounds thru his 'modern' Kimber I'd be interested to hear how it performs....

Edited by Condor