IGNORED

help with fuel pump

kenw

I need some advice! My 2006 Venture has become hard starting when cold. I also notice that I don't hear the fuel pump when turning the key on. Once started it runs fine. Is there anyone out there who has had the problem or knows of a solution, or is it back to the shop for me?

Thanks,

Kenw

I need some advice! My 2006 Venture has become hard starting when cold. I also notice that I don't hear the fuel pump when turning the key on. Once started it runs fine. Is there anyone out there who has had the problem or knows of a solution, or is it back to the shop for me?

Thanks,

Kenw

Ken,

The short answer is to let the dealer fix it; a 2006 model is under warranty. Hopefully, the dealer can turn it around quickly.

My fuel pump had to be replaced last year after getting back from Ft. Collins.

When my fuel pump was not working, and even if I pull my choke on full way,,, the bike would not start....and it would not run..

You say yours is hard to start, but runs fine....

Do you mean it runs fine ...with the choke off..and you can litterly ride itdown the road 50 60 70 MPH?

If so, then Im afraid your fuel pump is working, and you may have another reason why yours is hard to start..

Are you pulling the choke out all the way prior to starting it?

Is fuel pet cock valve open all the way?

2006, should not need its fuel filter changed YET, but then again, it could need changed depending on where you buy gas and how dirty thier gas is..

Check you plugs to see if they are wet...if so you could have a weak spark issue which could be your plugs themselves, a weak coil, bad /damaged plug wire...on and on..

Is the gas in your tank from LAST YEAR and you parked the bike for the winter?

If it is then add some fresh gas to it and run the tank dry..filler her up again with fresh gas it should start fine if this is your problem...

:080402gudl_prv::thumbsup2:

When I turned the key on I used to hear a whine from the fuel pump, pull the chock out and it started pretty well. I don't hear the pump anymore, but after its started it runs fine, starts well while warm too! The dealer told me that the pump has to be working for the engine to run at all and to bring it in on Tuesday. I'll let you know what the problem is when they look it over.

Thanks,

Kenw :think:

• 1 month later...

They said no problem! The bike runs fine and I hear the pump on startup again. I was told that you'll only hear it if the fuel pressure went dowm in the lines?? So far so good!!!

Kenw

Hard starting when cold? How would you know?? Ain't no cold around here!

Choke in June?????? If I so much as THINK about choking my RSV this time of year it starts hacking and coughing on me. Ain't no choke for me.

Goose