IGNORED

2nd gen brake upgarde to R1 or R6 calipers

bikerjohn

According to a Rick Butler post years back, direct bolt-ons to the RSV are R6 - 2004 and earlier, and the R1 - 2003 or earlier.

I used some advertised as 2002 from ebay. Bolted right on. All years for RSV's have the same forks so should work on yours.

Like I just wrote in my PM to you brother,, I REALLY have no clue BUT,, if you would like, I can make a quick video of measuring my 01 R1 calipers and post it up for you if you would like.. Be more than happy to do so my Texas Hero!!!

You DID get a new scoot? :photographing:'s are a minimal requirement around here,,, it's The Code ya know :photographing::bobby::missingtooth:

PM'd you but I'll add a little here..

R1-R6

https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/76UAAOSwGYZdqppB/s-l225.webp

Either gold or blue dot will work.... '86 thru 2ndGen

NICE Jack,, real nice!! I am gonna grab the Verniers in the A.M. and take some measurements on Maggie, my 01 R1, while recording the measuring and post it up here too... Maybe help John and others wanting to do this switch.. I know one thing for absolute sure,,, the stock OEM calipers on Maggie will put her into a two finger precision back wheel off the ground "stoppie" at any speed so those multi pot R1 calipers REALLY stop!! Probably wont do the same for the heavier RSV but DEFINITELY a far more functionally adequate system to those OEM's found on the MK1 1st Gens I have ridden thru the years!!!! :missingtooth:

Have no fear John,, between all your lop eared VR varmints friends,,, we'll find the answer!!! :thumbsup:

You can also look for '02-'05 Road Star Warrior or '07 and newer 1700cc Road Star bikes to get the calipers and also get the matching 14mm master cylinder to go with the calipers

I do not understand why a 14mm master cylinder is preferred over a 16mm. Please explain so I can learn more about upgrading my brakes.

Thank You

Mike

I do not understand why a 14mm master cylinder is preferred over a 16mm. Please explain so I can learn more about upgrading my brakes.

Thank You

Mike

I don't have all the information (bore & stroke of Master & Calipers) in front of me to show the complete math....but the simple explanation:

When you change from the stock 2 piston to the 4 piston you've changing the VOLUME of fluid necessary to move all the brake pistons a certain distance. The factory sizes the Master Cylinder to the Calipers on the bike with the proper ratio of master volume to caliper volume so that brake lever travel is consistent across the entire throw.

You CAN USE the factory 5/16" master cylinder and it will work. I previously owned '07 Road Star Warrior, and still wrench on it to this day after my buddy purchased it from me. I know what the factory Warrior brakes feel like in terms of braking power and feel. My experience on the Venture with 4-piston calipers and factory 5/16" master was better braking power but the feel (modulation of braking effort) was severely lacking. You'd have a soft lever for the 1st part of the travel until engagement of the brakes, then a small window of modulation until hard braking. With the matching 14mm master you have a more consistent "feel" throughout the brake lever travel.

@Condor is spot on.. It's repetitive to Jacks info but was fun to do non-the-less... In the youtube text I wrote:

""A good friend of mine is doing the front brake upgrade on his 2013 Yamaha Royal Star Venture (RSV) by putting R1 calipers on it. This is a common upgrade for improved braking on the Venture. The question came up by my buddie, BikerJohn, concerning the measurement of the distance between mount bolts on the R1. I don't have access to a later model Venture (mine have all been MK1, 83/84 models which I know will not swap with the R1) to compare to but I do have a 2001 R1. Hope this helps solve the measurement question John and maybe someone else looking for this info too brother!!""

and the video just for you @bikerjohn:

Has anyone actually upgrade their 2nd gen 99 to 2013 to a 4 piston caliper in the front?

i have order R1 and warrior calipers and the mount holes are 1 inch too close.

thanks

Here is a really good read from Skydoc 17 on the subject matter.. I know this work was on the MK2 but it is my understanding its the same mount.. Maybe @skydoc_17 could shed some light on it,,, heyyy Earl,,,,, :sign67::sign67::big-grin-emoticon:

Anyway,, here is his thread: https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?27170-VR-to-R1-Brake-Swap-Part-1!&highlight=brake+upgrade

Puc look at my crud drawing I think these will work, i was measuring form bolt to bolt on the outside bots

When i got down and looked there is a 3rd bolt that mounts the bracket to the fork

That span is 4 inches.

I will try it when i get the time and the other caliper in.

Capture 1.jpg

Has anyone actually upgrade their 2nd gen 99 to 2013 to a 4 piston caliper in the front?

i have order R1 and warrior calipers and the mount holes are 1 inch too close.

thanks

both the R1 and Warrior calipers? or the R1 calipers and warrior master cyl?

following closely as I was just about to pull the trigger and buy the parts for this swap.

Does anybody know if the Roadliner calipers will work?

It may but the OEM Pt numbers are different, no idea how different the actual parts are but this may, or may not, assist in getting an answer from someone with no clue :big-grin-emoticon:

Take a peek:

RSV =

https://www.yamahapartsnation.com/oemparts/a/yam/5073365ff8700218e05b9042/front-brake-caliper

Liner =

https://www.yamahapartsnation.com/oemparts/a/yam/5073365ff8700218e05b9042/front-brake-caliper

The Roadliner & Stratoliners (same 1900cc bike, just different options) both appear to have the same 4-piston calipers as the Star Roadstar & Warriors. I believe the hand controls are more sculpted "art deco" style and not a match for our clutch master if you want to add the matching 14mm brake master.

Strat.jpg

hand controls.jpg

The Roadliner & Stratoliners (same 1900cc bike, just different options) both appear to have the same 4-piston calipers as the Star Roadstar & Warriors. I believe the hand controls are more sculpted "art deco" style and not a match for our clutch master if you want to add the matching 14mm brake master.

I've had 4 Roadstars- 2 with the two piston calipers that are the same as the Royal Star and 2 with the 4 piston calipers.

I converted one of the two piston bikes to four piston calipers and did not change the master, as far as I could tell, it worked exactly the same as the four piston bike.

I also had a Roadliner for a short while and it seemed to have the best brakes of them all. I would guess that the calipers are very similar but the pads are different.

I hope that I end up with the same brake feel and power as the Roadliner!!!

I guess they are the same as the RoadStar. The early 1600cc bikes have 2-piston like our RoyalStar, but the later 1700cc have the 4-piston. I've only been around 1 Roadliner and it's been a few years since I hung out with that guy. I know the RoadStar and Warrior line of bikes pretty well as I ride with and maintain a few.

The 4-piston calipers are factory matched to the 14mm master cylinder. The factory 2-piston are matched to a 5/8" master cylinder. As I've said before, I don't have the exact math in front of me but the point is to have the same master-to-piston ratio for optimal lever travel and feel.

I did test my 4-piston with the stock 5/8" and it feels pretty good. To me personally, the 14mm master gives you a little more "take-up" on the lever to gently apply the brakes vs a quicker take-up on the 5/8".

There's another option for the replacement of the 5/8" Master Cylinder with the 14MM Master Cylinder from another motorcycle. I offer my S.S. Line Set for the Second Gens. which replaces every rubber brake and clutch line on your bike with Stainless Steel Braided, Kevlar lined brake and clutch lines. It also has a specially machined VMAX front brake splitter and S.S. adaptor bracket. The VMAX Splitter has a "Secondary Reservoir" machined into it that softens the engagement of the brakes for a better feel. Here's the link:

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?139143-Second-Gen-6-S-S-Brake-Line-Set-w-VMAX-Splitter-and-Upper-and-Lower-Clutch-Lines!

As was stated, ANY of the R1 or R6 SIDE MOUNT front calipers will work on the RSV and RSTD motorcycles. The spacing of the caliper mounts is 100MM. There were years for the R1 and R6 where a 4 piston TOP MOUNT brake caliper were offered in Gold, Blue, and Silver. These brake calipers WILL NOT FIT the RSV and RSTD'S. There is also a 6 piston front caliper offered on the late model R1 that is also a TOP MOUNT as well, it WILL NOT FIT our bikes either.

The other thing I wanted to mention here is because the Side Mount R1/R6 Calipers have a one piece body, they offer a few different challenges when it comes time to do a rebuild. When looking at the caliper body, it would appear that the "STAR" would unscrew from the caliper body, exposing the caliper pistons. This is not the case! The Star has been epoxied into the caliper body, and removal of the caliper pistons is achieved thru the clearance area where the rotor passes thru the caliper body. I have a fixture I use to remove the pistons without damaging the caliper body or the caliper pistons. Questions, comments, please feel free to PM me.

Earl