IGNORED

Thoughts on BMW K1200 LT

SpencerPJ

$4.5 k so not screaming, just decent, and it is clean, leaks nothing. He just didn't sound like the type that put much into preventative basics. Rear drive line fluid never changed. I have a bit of extra MC money that I could spend, I'd rather wait, and besides, the K1600 sounds more interesting lol. I'm not afraid of wrenches, last weekend replaced the stearing bearings and races, by myself on the 83. Oh what a PITA.

ON MY DEMO BUCKET LIST BROTHER!!! Maggie the R1's muscle in a full blown touring scoot = who could ask for anything more!!! :dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

:think:,, wait a second,, I could ask for more,, how about a new Venture with a 200 horse 1700cc V-Max MTR stuffed in it,,,, good grief,, why does my nasty brain gotta come up with such ideas :stirthepot::crackup:

Quick question VanRiver ,,, can the ABS just be bypassed and run the confounded thing with a "normal" brake system? There are those that would short shift a $300 MK1 Venture out to 300k miles cause 2nd gear is long since gone,, probably the same type of lop eared varmint who would pick up a GORGEOUS $500 Beemer with a bad ABS and do the same if he/she knew he could get away with it.. Get my drift?

Hello @cowpuc Very good question about bypassing the ABS! The answer is YES, it can certainly be bypassed.......but there is a bit more to it then just bypassing and tying a few brake hoses together. The ABS servo unit on the 2005-2009 bikes do the pumping for you as the brake master cylinder on the handle bars and foot pedal only pressurize to tell the ABS servo to do the heavy lifting and generate the full pressure to apply the brakes. The 1999-2004 K1200LT's had a different ABS unit that was NOT servo driven and therefore much easier to bypass. But if there is a will, there is a way...especially for a man of your motorcycle wrenching capabilities (you are my hero!)....plus several video's on Youtube showing how to do it for us novice wrench turners!

I would totally be willing to do the ABS bypass on my own personal machine if I found a cheap bike or if my existing bikes broke, but due to liability and preservation of life I would probably never sell it to another rider with it bypassed. These are heavy bikes that go fast, and stopping safely is kind of a big deal. But I guess it couldn't get much worse then the braking capability of my stock MKII Venture before the R6 calliper upgrade. Could also carry a big rock on a rope tied to the top case for emergency stopping situations! :rasberry:

Puc, you and I are cut from the same cloth......cheap bikes are always more fun to ride!!!!!

Hello cowpuc Very good question about bypassing the ABS! The answer is YES, it can certainly be bypassed.......but there is a bit more to it then just bypassing and tying a few brake hoses together. The ABS servo unit on the 2005-2009 bikes do the pumping for you as the brake master cylinder on the handle bars and foot pedal only pressurize to tell the ABS servo to do the heavy lifting and generate the full pressure to apply the brakes. The 1999-2004 K1200LT's had a different ABS unit that was NOT servo driven and therefore much easier to bypass. But if there is a will, there is a way...especially for a man of your motorcycle wrenching capabilities (you are my hero!)....plus several video's on Youtube showing how to do it for us novice wrench turners!

I would totally be willing to do the ABS bypass on my own personal machine if I found a cheap bike or if my existing bikes broke, but due to liability and preservation of life I would probably never sell it to another rider with it bypassed. These are heavy bikes that go fast, and stopping safely is kind of a big deal. But I guess it couldn't get much worse then the braking capability of my stock MKII Venture before the R6 calliper upgrade. Could also carry a big rock on a rope tied to the top case for emergency stopping situations! :rasberry:

Puc, you and I are cut from the same cloth......cheap bikes are always more fun to ride!!!!!

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:Took the words right out of my mouth my brother!!!!:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Gotta say though,,, that cleaned up, dolled up, put together correctly LT of yours in the pic is nothing short a GORGEOUS IMHO,,, DEFINITELY a well disquised "cheap" bike (you bandit :sign20:) = VERY VERY WELL DONE RIV:sign Rock On:

Thanks for the straight forward (as always) info Riv,, it is ALWAYS a pleasure hearing from ya!!! As far as the hero thingy,,, awe,,, thanks brother,, it's great to be loved,, it goes both ways ya know!!

P.S. = suggest not tieing the anchor emergency rope to the top box = it will flip you over backwards if the glass holds out,,, use one of them "Tug Em Straps" (kind of like horizontal bungee jumping) attached to the passenger boards = always Tweekin,, Tweek Tweek Tweek

Edited by cowpuc