IGNORED

Thoughts on BMW K1200 LT

SpencerPJ

Considering adding a bike to my stable (in addition to my 83) Having a hard time finding a big bike to fit me, I'm 6'3" 290# guy. I want water cooled, and I am not a fan of feet forward controls. I like my 83, but rather not take out of state on longer rides, has way too much that needs updates. DO you have any opinions of the BMW's? I spy a really nice 05 online. Thanks

I heard some guys thought the same as you, and went for the BMW, then found out that spending anytime in the seat was not all that comfortable and when it came to repairs and upgrades they found the RSV to be cheap.

I suggest that you let your mind change your habits, or likes and dislikes, and go for an RSV. Basically all you would need would be an 'Attitude Adjustment'.

Before I bought the Star Venture i took a long look at BMW. I was very interested in the new K bikes. Really liked the bike and the engine is unreal. I do my own work on my bikes and when I looked at part prices for those bikes I nearly had a heart attack. Very expensive and a lot of the parts have to come from Germany. This really helped me decide to buy the Yamaha. Still would like to have a BMW.

Buy what YOU like to ride. The BMWs are expensive to repair but they are beautiful bikes. There is an LT club with their president based in Chicago who makes some good videos on what to look out for and what needs to be improved.

I'm a huge BMW fan, both cars and bikes. They are more expensive regarding service and parts. When buying German anything the service history is vital. Without it the value plummets, which might be good for a buyer if the seller understands this. Maintenance is critical, so the service history that proves it was observed is also critical.

There were issues with final drives on some of those, where others seemed to be fine. Stock BMW seats suck ass, budget for a seat.

German stuff is generally more advanced and sophisticated than anything else. Over-engineered many will say. They can be finicky and require more love than their simply spectacular Japanese counterparts which are by many measures less exciting but so much more trouble-free. I say throw a leg over one and if it feels right then you have your bike. Get the seat tailored to your backside and you should be treated to a very nice machine. It does beg to be repeated that the cost of ownership is likely higher and maintenance schedules are not a suggestion.

With the K1600 out there circulating around the K1200 becomes quite a bargain. I might be apprehensive about buying one with an unknown past unless it is obviously babied. I would own one in a heartbeat, but I would not pay much for it unless I know it's up on all service and ready to rock. You can invest a decent chunk of change if it needs any "TLC". Check in with the BMW forums and read a bit on specifics. If your cool with a higher cost of ownership and the bike fits you then I say it's definitely worth considering.

Just MHO But Look at the miles puc and and others put on them Unless your totally all thumbs I would consider with winter coming do a fine tooth overall and complete maintenance on the 83 enlist some experienced help from club members if you can cause two heads as they say can be better than one. for the less than the price of the BMW you can do a pretty good job making that 83 reliable. As often noted the engine is usually the least of your worries since they give very little trouble if well maintained (even if not {don't ask how I know}) since they are extremely hardy. Biggest issues are usually electrical and a good inspection and cleaning of all connections makes a world of difference I use ACF 50 (available from amazon) to clean and protect all my connections (even cured an engine miss that almost had me replacing the ignition module with the stuff. Also amazing for freeing up moving parts both metal and plastic). The next issue is the carb not difficult to O/H (if it it needs it that is) biggest pain is rem & install but not impossible. Clutch if needed another simple and not expensive thing to do. Change your fluids (all of them). For a few bucks more I would recomend replacing the brake fluids with the new Bosch ES16 brake fluid instead of dot 3 or 4. I found my brakes much more responsive since installing it, plus it has a much higher boiling point. Initially developed to give quicker response to the ABS systems on high end cars. I delinked my brakes some years back and was never quite happy with the rear brake performance. With the ES16 fluid my rear brake performs much better.

BTW a buddy of mine just had to replace the ABS module on his BMW. It had to be shipped in from Germany and ran him close to $6000.00 by the time he left the shop. On the other hand another buddy of mine has only ever ridden BMW's and his fuel millage blows me out of the water getting almost 600 KM to a 25 litre tank versus my 275 to a 20 litre tank (you will have to do your own conversion to miles and gallons :confused24:

Edited by saddlebum

For several years the BMW bikes had servo assisted ABS brakes and if you don't flush the brake fluid annually, the brake module fails and it's expensive to replace. But, I think there is a place in the USA now that rebuilds those for much less than BMW parts. Additionally, there are several videos on youtube showing how to remove the faulty unit and eliminate the ABS. I think the 2005 year had the servo assisted brakes. Something to check into.

Servo assisted brakes (whizzy brakes as they are known) can be a PITA. IIRC, they were mostly '04-07. There is a guy that rebuilds the ABS control module for a few hundred dollars. FYI - if the whizzy brake ABS module goes out, it still brakes just fine, just without ABS.

I have a couple BMW motorcycles, '86 K75C and a '09 R1200GS Adventure. Really like 'em. Do all my own work and don't find the parts to be any more expensive than other bikes - unless you have to get into special items like control modules and drive shafts. BMWMOA (Motorcycle Owner Assoc.) has a very good website with an excellent knowledge base.

Rear drive issues were generally taken care of in '09 when BMW reapplied a vent in the pumpkin. The original specs called for too much lubricant and it would take out the main bearing. They can be repaired and/or rebuilt but it is costly. Not as common as the internet would lead you to believe.

Keep in mind, most of my experience is from the Iron Butt crowd which puts on LOTS of miles.

Stock seats - awful - just like most bikes (including the Venture). Sargent makes a good seat for them if you want to do normal mileage. If you are interested in doing Iron Butt miles, Russell Day-Long is the best choice. Laam Saddles also makes a good custom seat for a bit less money than the RSL.

The K engines are really solid and perform well. As mentioned before, check for service records. Things I would be concerned with is drive shaft spline lube and brake fluid flushes. Check the bottom of the engine/transmission for signs of leakage. The transmission is a cassette style with the dry clutch sandwiched between the engine and transmission. If any of the seals at the back of the engine or front of the transmission are leaking, it is possible the clutch got wet - replacement time. Not hard to do, just very time consuming.

I will be doing the transmission seals on my '86 K bike this winter. Overall, these bike are fairly easy to work on.

The K1200LT is a real mile muncher. Nice bike with good ergonomics for taller folks (I'm 6'3" and 260-ish lbs).

RR

Wow, thanks everyone. Lots of great information. I think I might ride one just to see, but I'm not sure about all the plastic and maintenance they seem to need. I'm going to talk to the guy tomorrow, I guess a lot starts with the vibes from the conversation. I do know it is parked in a very nice home, so maybe the guy has $$ and let the Dealer keep up on the maintenance.

I heard some guys thought the same as you, and went for the BMW, then found out that spending anytime in the seat was not all that comfortable and when it came to repairs and upgrades they found the RSV to be cheap.

I suggest that you let your mind change your habits, or likes and dislikes, and go for an RSV. Basically all you would need would be an 'Attitude Adjustment'.

Your not the first one to tell my I need an attitude adjustment :rotf:

I could possibly grow to like the RSV, maybe put some RSTD handlebars on it, but I'm not a fan of the trunk that seems would look hideous if removed. (Not the the BMWs look much better)

Considering adding a bike to my stable (in addition to my 83) Having a hard time finding a big bike to fit me, I'm 6'3" 290# guy. I want water cooled, and I am not a fan of feet forward controls. I like my 83, but rather not take out of state on longer rides, has way too much that needs updates. DO you have any opinions of the BMW's? I spy a really nice 05 online. Thanks

I am not a longgg in the inseam as you Spence (6'1" here) but was fairly close to your weight at one time (before I broke my back and had to loose 50 pounds to get put back on my feet) and also one who was never able to enjoy forward controls (other than my Choppers,, I did LOVE the feet forward on the long bikes).. That said,, one of my favorite tricks to make life on the road for me/us,, was to get rid of the fair lowers on my 1's so I could stretch out when needed.. Turned a 12 hour bike into an easy 16 to 20 hour CTFW monster no problem!! Then take a set of clamp on foot pegs and mount em on the crash bars in just the right location for the passenger so they are comfortable too:thumbsup:!! For touring or even dirt scootin,, it has always been mid controls for me,, always found them much easier for decent control in emergencies or serious cornering competition..

I think if it were me I would chase down a late model MK2 and convert it back to the clam shells for bags.. Get a nice one so ya aint gotta hassle with the 2nd gear issues, cracked frames and all that stuff of the 83's.. I have fired a few shots of long distance CTFW on the 83's (and 1 84) and they always got me and the wife/kids home with very little worry BUT I had to get my hands dirty more than once to do so (way of life brother,, way of life).. Personally though,,, after 56 years of torturing scoots,, making em do things they really didnt want to do (like short shifting MK1's, skipping a blown second gear to get the last 200,000 miles out of em LOL),, I honestly LOVED em all but gotta say,, I never did meet one that didnt have to be worked on every now and then...

Speaking of Beemers,, I think VanRiver (wassup Riv?) is riding a Beemer now.. As I recall, he rescued one,, did his thing with it to get er on er feet and has been VERY impressed.. Not sure what model but if he chimes in I am SURE he will shoot square and from the hip with ya... Riv's a lot like I am though in that I KNOW he has never met a scoot he didnt LOVE = ye be warned:missingtooth:..

Here's a couple of my corny vids that you may or may not find interesting..

Talked to the guy with the BMW, I'm not ruling out BMWs yet, but I am this one. 2005, 38k miles, 3rd owner, zero written service records, he has never done basics like fluid exchanges, etc. Only changes oil (which is good) Everything I have watched and read say that these bikes are very finicky about service (not as forgiving as our Ventures)

Your not the first one to tell my I need an attitude adjustment :rotf:

I could possibly grow to like the RSV, maybe put some RSTD handlebars on it, but I'm not a fan of the trunk that seems would look hideous if removed. (Not the the BMWs look much better)

Don't feel bad your not the only one @Marcarl has told needs an attitude adjustment. You need to Take it with a grain of salt. You see you need to understand that Marcarl honestly believes he he is not the crazy one :yikes: but its the rest of the world that is crazy, so you know....we all just try to show him a little understanding and humour him. :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling: :witch_brew:

How many riders keep service records? I don't. Probably very few unless the dealer does all the service. Then they may keep the receipts.

I would be most worried about the servo assist brakes. If that works and there are no observable problems, I would buy it if I wanted it. Just flush the brake system as soon as you get it home. Videos on line show you how. And give it a good going over. A neighbor had one that he rode to work every day. He got 115k reliable miles out of it before selling and buying a new Kawa Concours.

$4.5 k so not screaming, just decent, and it is clean, leaks nothing. He just didn't sound like the type that put much into preventative basics. Rear drive line fluid never changed. I have a bit of extra MC money that I could spend, I'd rather wait, and besides, the K1600 sounds more interesting lol. I'm not afraid of wrenches, last weekend replaced the stearing bearings and races, by myself on the 83. Oh what a PITA.

How many riders keep service records? I don't. Probably very few unless the dealer does all the service. Then they may keep the receipts.

I do, I'd forget my head sometimes if it wasn't attached, and I'd forget when the last oil change was, etc. I keep very detailed maintenance logs of all my toys and rides. It's one of the few smart things I feel I do :happy34:

Howdy SpencerPJ! As my good buddy cowpuc mentioned, I'm the proud owner of a couple of BMW K1200LT's. I have a 1999 and a 2005 model year in the collection. To be honest, I totally love the K1200LT's!! They are especially good if you know how to turn your own wrenches. If you don't like working on your own bikes then the BMW's are not the right bikes for you. The next part of honesty is the K1200LT depreciation, it is significant because of the cost for maintenance not because they are a bad bike. Guys take them into the dealer and it costs a $1000 to change the brake hoses and flush the ABS system.....that is a tough pill to swallow on a 15 year old bike that has a market value of $3000 bucks, so they dump them on Craigslist and you can get them for some pretty good prices. I paid $1500 Canadian for my 1999 Beemer and I think $1500 or $1800 USD for the 2005 Beemer in Phoenix. I bought my 2 bikes from previous owners who lost interest in riding and let the bikes sit too long in the garage and won't run right on the day they want to go for a ride. They then take them to the BMW dealer to get an estimate on how much it would be to get them back on the road and get a crazy price estimate of thousands up on thousands of Dollars.....then the owner can't justify it on an old bike that they never ride so they sell to me for cheap. the previous owner of my 1999 even listed it as a "parts bike" since it wouldn't start (and it was just a bad battery that had sat for somany years and didn't have anough ummff to start the old girl). I've had opportunity to pick K1200LT's up for under $1000 bucks too but the wife won't let me buy any more until I sell some. :cry:

I know you have already passed on the original bike you were looking at but in the future if you ever run into another K1200LT that looks interesting the 3 main points of weakness that are costly to fix are: #1 . The dry clutch that goes FUBAR if you have a main seal leak or clutch slave cylinder leak that gets oil on the clutch disk. That is a major and costly job to do a clutch on a K1200LT even just the parts if you are doing the work yourself. #2 : ABS Brake warning lights. The K1200LT had some temperamental and fragile ABS technology on them especially on the newer models (2005 to 2009) with the servo assisted ABS brakes. If the ABS unit goes FUBAR on a 2005 -2009 year K1200LT then the bike is a right off due to the cost of the ABS servo module (if you can even find a good replacement).......the 1999-2004 ABS is not as bad. #3 . Some bikes have a known issue from the BMW factory with incorrectly shimmed rear differentials that have early bearing failures. But I don't deem this as a killer anymore since there are tons of good diffs available on Ebay now and a couple hours of wrench turning to replace one, but back when these bikes were new it was a very costly part from the dealer to replace if it was out of warranty.

The key is regular maintenance on these BMW's (as it should be for any motorcycle). That "Fragile ABS unit" I mentioned before will last forever if you just change and flush your Brake fluid every year like the manual says. There are BMW K1200LT's with 200,000+ Miles on them with no issues and I find the inline 4 "flying brick" motors to be very bullet proof (basically the same motor I have in my BMW Z4 car, just minus a couple of cylinders). I also find them fairly easy to work once you get all the plastic "Tupperware" removed from the bike to get at the mechanical bits. It takes a couple of hours work just to undress the old girl of all her plastic to get the motor, that is why the Dealer shop labour costs are so high for even the simplest of task. Plus they have so many more luxury features compared to my First Gen Ventures.....and best of all no stupid carbs to plug up over the winter....pure fuel injection Baby!!

Long story short, I would not rule out a K1200LT, just find a good deal on one and watch this video from the K1200LT Master himself Kirk at the Illinois BMW motored club. He has videos on youtube showing you how to do almost every task possible to keep your K1200LT ship shape. He is a good guy!

Here are some Pic's of my two Beemers while on the open road between Calgary and Phoenix. I think the K1200LT is one snazzy looking "Luxury Tourer", even if they are 20 and 14 years old!

IMG_1224.jpg IMG_0579.jpg

Edited by VanRiver

Speaking of Beemers,, I think VanRiver (wassup Riv?) is riding a Beemer now.. As I recall, he rescued one,, did his thing with it to get er on er feet and has been VERY impressed.. Not sure what model but if he chimes in I am SURE he will shoot square and from the hip with ya... Riv's a lot like I am though in that I KNOW he has never met a scoot he didnt LOVE = ye be warned..

Howdy SpencerPJ! As my good buddy cowpuc mentioned, I'm the proud owner of a couple of BMW K1200LT's. I have a 1999 and a 2005 model year in the collection. To be honest, I totally love the K1200LT's!! They are especially good if you know how to turn your own wrenches. If you don't like working on your own bikes then the BMW's are not the right bikes for you. The next part of honesty is the K1200LT depreciation, it is significant because of the cost for maintenance not because they are a bad bike. Guys take them into the dealer and it costs a $1000 to change the brake hoses and flush the ABS system.....that is a tough pill to swallow on a 15 year old bike that has a market value of $3000 bucks, so they dump them on Craigslist and you can get them for some pretty good prices. I paid $1500 Canadian for my 1999 Beemer and I think $1500 or $1800 USD for the 2005 Beemer in Phoenix. I bought my 2 bikes from previous owners who lost interest in riding and let the bikes sit too long in the garage and won't run right on the day they want to go for a ride. They then take them to the BMW dealer to get an estimate on how much it would be to get them back on the road and get a crazy price estimate of thousands up on thousands of Dollars.....then the owner can't justify it on an old bike that they never ride so they sell to me for cheap. the previous owner of my 1999 even listed it as a "parts bike" since it wouldn't start (and it was just a bad battery that had sat for somany years and didn't have anough ummff to start the old girl). I've had opportunity to pick K1200LT's up for under $1000 bucks too but the wife won't let me buy any more until I sell some. :cry:

I know you have already passed on the original bike you were looking at but in the future if you ever run into another K1200LT that looks interesting the 3 main points of weakness that are costly to fix are: #1 . The dry clutch that goes FUBAR if you have a main seal leak or clutch slave cylinder leak that gets oil on the clutch disk. That is a major and costly job to do a clutch on a K1200LT even just the parts if you are doing the work yourself. #2 : ABS Brake warning lights. The K1200LT had some temperamental and fragile ABS technology on them especially on the newer models (2005 to 2009) with the servo assisted ABS brakes. If the ABS unit goes FUBAR on a 2005 -2009 year K1200LT then the bike is a right off due to the cost of the ABS servo module (if you can even find a good replacement).......the 1999-2004 ABS is not as bad. #3 . Some bikes have a known issue from the BMW factory with incorrectly shimmed rear differentials that have early bearing failures. But I don't deem this as a killer anymore since there are tons of good diffs available on Ebay now and a couple hours of wrench turning to replace one, but back when these bikes were new it was a very costly part from the dealer to replace if it was out of warranty.

The key is regular maintenance on these BMW's (as it should be for any motorcycle). That "Fragile ABS unit" I mentioned before will last forever if you just change and flush your Brake fluid every year like the manual says. There are BMW K1200LT's with 200,000+ Miles on them with no issues and I find the inline 4 "flying brick" motors to be very bullet proof (basically the same motor I have in my BMW Z4 car, just minus a couple of cylinders). I also find them fairly easy to work once you get all the plastic "Tupperware" removed from the bike to get at the mechanical bits. It takes a couple of hours work just to undress the old girl of all her plastic to get the motor, that is why the Dealer shop labour costs are so high for even the simplest of task. Plus they have so many more luxury features compared to my First Gen Ventures.....and best of all no stupid carbs to plug up over the winter....pure fuel injection Baby!!

Long story short, I would not rule out a K1200LT, just find a good deal on one and watch this video from the K1200LT Master himself Kirk at the Illinois BMW motored club. He has videos on youtube showing you how to do almost every task possible to keep your K1200LT ship shape. He is a good guy!

Here are some Pic's of my two Beemers while on the open road between Calgary and Phoenix. I think the K1200LT is one snazzy looking "Luxury Tourer", even if they are 20 and 14 years old!

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117755 https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117756

Never one to say I told ya so Spence but,,,,, I tried to warn ya about my good friend and brother Riv!!!:big-grin-emoticon:

:lightbulb:,, I think we really are related RIV!!:missingtooth:

VERY VERY WELL PUT!!:thumbsup:

Quick question @VanRiver ,,, can the ABS just be bypassed and run the confounded thing with a "normal" brake system? There are those that would short shift a $300 MK1 Venture out to 300k miles cause 2nd gear is long since gone,, probably the same type of lop eared varmint who would pick up a GORGEOUS $500 Beemer with a bad ABS and do the same if he/she knew he could get away with it.. Get my drift?