IGNORED

Considering a new ride

stickhandle2

Hi Folks,

After riding and enjoying my 02 Midnight for the past 6 years or so, it is time to consider another ride (yes for those that know me a Ural has been in the garage for the past 3 years). The midnight has been sold just waiting for it to be picked up. It still leaves the Ural and the SV 650 in the garage, but I am thinking of maybe a FJR 1300 or a Suzuki VStrom 1000 , Kawi Concourse as my next ride. I have ridden all but the Kawi, my question for those that have any experience with any of these bikes is how are they for riding 2 up.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Folks,

After riding and enjoying my 02 Midnight for the past 6 years or so, it is time to consider another ride (yes for those that know me a Ural has been in the garage for the past 3 years). The midnight has been sold just waiting for it to be picked up. It still leaves the Ural and the SV 650 in the garage, but I am thinking of maybe a FJR 1300 or a Suzuki VStrom 1000 , Kawi Concourse as my next ride. I have ridden all but the Kawi, my question for those that have any experience with any of these bikes is how are they for riding 2 up.

Thanks

Mike

they all suck fer 2up vs a RSV just due to better wind protection and more space for everybody on a RSV. Only the FJR has cruise. The strom...don't think so, The Kaw absolutely no cruise. The Kaw will raise your insurance rates since it is a 150hp missile.

Thanks for the input, I realize there won’t be as much room vs what I had on the RSV, as for the cruise control I only used it a couple times.

I will just have to go see a couple bikes and bring my better half with me so we can see how it is with both of us on the bike.

As you know the V-strom is a totally diffferent bike from the sport tourers. But, I suspect it may be the best at two up traveling due to the more upright seating position. I owned a 2004 Concours, the old style, for a couple years and it was very top heavy/tippy. But, when I had it, I was going through what Freebird is going through now, I had been taking lisinipril bp med for several years and my balance was totally messed up. After changing meds, I got better and by the time I sold it, I was liking it much more. After breaking a bone in my foot with the concours I promised the wife I'd sell it, so I did.

Congratulations Mike on selling your Venture. I wish you a fun process as you pick your next bike for your stable to ride.

Thanks Dave, it is a decision that I had been thinking about for a while, it is always neat to have a bunch of bikes to ride but inevitably 1 doesn’t get ridden as much, I myself don’t like seeing a bike not being ridden and enjoyed.

Mike

If you get serious about a V-strom 1000, join a forum and discuss. I was thinking about one and the forum I joined warned me off on a used one I was looking at. Seems the earlier ones, if I remember correctly, 2010 and older had some issues. But, I do like the sound of that 90 degree V-twin. The 90 degree vtwin has good primary balance and doesn't vibrate like most vtwins. Plus since it does have good primary balance, it can rev unlike most V-twins.

100,000 mile review of a 2005 V strom 1000

Edited by BlueSky

Carl,

I wouldn’t do that and take all the attention away from you, but really I already have a bike with 3 wheels.

Mike

Something else to consider. Do you ride solo? then it's only yourself to consider. If you ride 2 up and the bike is not comfortable for your passenger or you are not comfortable with someone close behind you pushing you forward, then it'll soon be solo, and then would you want to ride as much? I think not.

Something else to consider. Do you ride solo? then it's only yourself to consider. If you ride 2 up and the bike is not comfortable for your passenger or you are not comfortable with someone close behind you pushing you forward, then it'll soon be solo, and then would you want to ride as much? I think not.

Very true Carl, that was the reason for the question to the group, Tammie and I do ride together quite a bit and since we got the Ural it has been with her in the sidecar many times. We still like to ride two up on two wheels as well, the plan is when I check out a bike I will try to have both of us there.

For solo riding I can jump on the SV650 and take it for a spin.

i have been eyeing the FJR and VStrom 1000 for some time and figured somebody on the site had some experience with them.

Very true Carl, that was the reason for the question to the group, Tammie and I do ride together quite a bit and since we got the Ural it has been with her in the sidecar many times. We still like to ride two up on two wheels as well, the plan is when I check out a bike I will try to have both of us there.

Since I got my Ural a year ago I think the wife's ridden in it twice, the 6yr old has claimed ownership to that bike.

• 3 weeks later...

So took the plunge and have got a new to us ride. I picked up a 2009 Honda ST1300, kind of weird I didn’t even think of this bike, that is until I saw an add for one , it was close to the house so figured what the heck let’s take a look.

Well liked it and both of us were comfy when we tried it out.

The garage is back to having 3 bikes in it, the 2013 Ural (the dog claims it is his bike), the 02 SV650 , and the the 09 ST1300. First time not having a Yamaha in there.

Ride safe all.

Mike

So took the plunge and have got a new to us ride. I picked up a 2009 Honda ST1300, kind of weird I didn’t even think of this bike, that is until I saw an add for one , it was close to the house so figured what the heck let’s take a look.

Well liked it and both of us were comfy when we tried it out.

The garage is back to having 3 bikes in it, the 2013 Ural (the dog claims it is his bike), the 02 SV650 , and the the 09 ST1300. First time not having a Yamaha in there.

Ride safe all.

Mike

:scared:,,, WOWZY WOW WOW WOW,, wayyyy cool!!!! It may not be a Yammer but ya just could not step back from a V-4 could ya Sticky :missingtooth: :big-grin-emoticon:

Congrats on the new addition brother!!

Congratulations in finding another bike you love.

I hope the weather keeps cooperating a few more weeks anyways so you can get out and enjoy it before the end of the season.

Thanks Dave, that is an advantage of living in this area, the ugly real cold weather takes a while to show up, so our riding season lasts a bit longer.

Oh, I don't know. Not having to worry about cleaning carbs any more?

I've always wanted to ride one of those ST1300s. I lusted over several of them on craigslist before buying the RSV. The magazine comparison reviews always come to the conclusion that they are the easiest to handle of the sport tourers. And it's a Honda!