IGNORED

Tape deck to tachometer mod?

Jthomas

So I've seen a some guys have changed out the tape deck for a small gage cluster for oil, battery, and temp. I would rather have a tach and maybe a temp gage if possible. Anybody know of a tach mod that would fit nicely into the tape deck slot.

If I do this though, am I gonna have to completely give up my AUX in or is there a simple (non-electrician) way to bypass the tape deck?

Jon Thomas

07 RSV

I never route a tachometer that was small enough to actually fit into the plate. I saw where somebody made the plate larger so that a small "Barons" tach would work but the plate had to be made differently and had a projection that dropped down at the bottom.

As for the auxiliary, that is not an issue. There is simply a wire that you unplug and then plugin a 1/8" stereo jack and bring it out to wherever you want. A lot of us did that anyway. Even with the tape deck still there, a lot of us unplugged the wire, put a splitter on it, then ran it out to another location so that the door didn't have to be open to use it.

I never route a tachometer that was small enough to actually fit into the plate. I saw where somebody made the plate larger so that a small "Barons" tach would work but the plate had to be made differently and had a projection that dropped down at the bottom.

As for the auxiliary, that is not an issue. There is simply a wire that you unplug and then plugin a 1/8" stereo jack and bring it out to wherever you want. A lot of us did that anyway. Even with the tape deck still there, a lot of us unplugged the wire, put a splitter on it, then ran it out to another location so that the door didn't have to be open to use it.

Yea what he said. :clap2::thumbsup2:

How big of an opeing are ya working with do ya think? On e-bay I saw some round ones in the 2" range. I know they have rectangle ones too, just didnt look real hard. Although digital can be anoying, as the numbers are constantly changing. A "gauge" style for me would be more desirable.

In '17 I was looking at something similar to this for my '06 RSV. https://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-parts/electrical/motorcycle-gauges-indicators/koso-db-01r-multi-function-electronic-speedometer/p/31354?rrec=true The size is very close to the actual opening. I didn't get too much int it though as I heard they were bringing the beast back into production. This particular one covers basically everything including adjustments for tire size. This is from the description 1.77"H x 4.72"W x 1.38"D

I've been trying to search on this also. I don't like not having a tachometer. digital would be an easy fit - i'd rather have a bar graph than numbers though.

what is the Ponch cassette player adapter ?

Ponch is an ex-member. He used to make a gauges plate for the RSV. If you search back about 5-6 years you will see his posts and there were pictures of several variations of the adapter.

Others have made adapters in the same way.

I have the Baron's front brake adapter that puts the Tach in very visible sight, and I have the Ponch cassette player adapter the gives oil, amp, temp readings.

:farmer:

Whats the Baron front brake adapter? A gage that attaches to the brake reservoir?

Is there a port to plug in a OBDII reader? I just remember i have a bluetooth one that i can use my phone to monitor everything.

Whats the Baron front brake adapter? A gage that attaches to the brake reservoir?

Is there a port to plug in a OBDII reader? I just remember i have a bluetooth one that i can use my phone to monitor everything.

The Barons adapter replaces the front master cylinder top plate with a plate to attach a 3" tach to. Then wire into the coil.

:farmer:

Ponch is an ex-member. He used to make a gauges plate for the RSV. If you search back about 5-6 years you will see his posts and there were pictures of several variations of the adapter.

every link to a picture I've found so far seems to be a dead link. would love to see what they actually looked like. might give me some ideas.

I do a lot of 3d printing and have access to some pretty fancy commercial units as well. making an adapter is the easy part. finding the right gauges is turning out to be tough as none really have the look I want.

Actually, there are some pictures and a lot of information in this thread.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?34281-removed-cassette-added-gauges-done/page15

I wish I would have found this forum 5 - 6 years ago when I first bought my '06. Huge wealth of knowledge here. The other forum I was in can't even touch the soles of y'alls shoes.

• 9 months later...

Know anybody that makes and sells the ones similar to Ponch's?