IGNORED

Cruise control modification?

Hi gang, long time no post. Life is not so easy some years...

Cruise control is one feature of the RSV that lets me ride; I've got severe carpal tunnel syndrome, as well as some nerve damage in the arm/shoulder, and arthritis in the cervical spine. All that at the ripe old age of 40something.

I use CC all-the-time, except in heavy traffic (and even then, a little bit). I do find that this bike is almost comically over-geared relative to where the engine wants to make good power. (Would like to do a VMax final drive, but that's just going to have to wait.)

So, my question is: is it possible to spoof the CC into operating with the bike in 3rd gear? There are lots of times when I'm riding around 60Km/h, and 4th just seems too high, though it does work.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

One of the HUGE things I love about our little +60 mpg Hyundai Ioniq mini motorhome is that it's cruise control remains operatable from 16 mph to 114 mph. For many thousands of miles I had to use a throttle lock on my 1st Gens to get that kind of cruise control performance. I actually liked and appreciated those throttle locks so much that I even put one on Maggie, my Yamaha R1. If the guru's dont respond shortly with a viable electronic cure for your cruise control you might give a throttle lock a try. They do have a learning curve but not that bad IMHO. I even use mine while slow riding Tweeks thru crowds at rallies and wanting to take video's of the people doing crazy stuff :thumbsup:

It would be easy to make the change if you could find the schematic for the system. You just need to spoof the system into thinking it's in 4th or 5th. That could be a problem. Maybe adding an external switch to throw that would allow CC might be a better and easier idea. Since I don't know if you can find enough detailed info to make the changes, I too recommend the throttle lock.

I've used throttle locks on numerous prior bikes, and they're OK.

This falls in the category of 'gee it would be better if'... the bike will work with CC in 4th at 60Km/h, it's just way low in the RPM range. She makes plenty of torque, just several thousand RPM higher.

I appreciate the feedback though.

• 4 weeks later...

There is an old post discussing cruise not working at some speeds after a VMax rear gear swap. If I remember correctly(50/50 shot on that) the leading theory had something to do with the TCI using a speed/rpm comparison to compute the gear. That's all above my head-I know very little when electronics come in to play. If that's the case could you use a SpeedoDRD or healer to trick it by throwing the Speedo off and using a gps or phone app for a Speedo? Maybe set it to show 55-60 while in third at mid rpms and try to set the cruise? Im thinking WAY outside the box and maybe completely off the reservation on this one.

EDIT: after thinking some more, if this works for low speed use it would kill the cruise at highway speeds because of the 80mph limit. There's my DUH moment for the day.

Edited by RDawson

I always assumed the gear indicator switch used in the first gen is actually installed in the second gen. Something has to operate the neutral indicator and the overdrive (5th gear) indicator. I do not know if connections are in the switch for second and third, but they probably are and just not used.

If that is the case, I think it would be a simple matter of jumpering third to fourth to fool the computer.

The hard part is I think the switch is behind the clutch basket, and the basket must be removed to get to it.

I suppose someone could dig through the parts diagram and see if the switch is identical between the first and second gen.

Mine also only works in 4th & 5th. Studied the wiring diag for a few minutes. Can't figure out how it knows it is in 4 & 5th.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117713

I've never been on a 1st gen, do they have a gear indicator for all gears or just a neutral light? Seems like a lot of contacts for just a neutral switch.

The Gen1, MK1 only has a neutral light, no gear position indicator. It may be that it was only the Standard model that has only the neutral light. Not for sure on that. I do know my '83 Standard just has the neutral light and my '86 Royale has the gear position indicator.

The Gen1, MK1 only has a neutral light, no gear position indicator. It may be that it was only the Standard model that has only the neutral light. Not for sure on that. I do know my '83 Standard just has the neutral light and my '86 Royale has the gear position indicator.

So adding a gear indicator to a 2nd Gen might not be all that hard...interesting.