IGNORED

Possible Fuel Pump Issue

Hello all! Just re-joined as I didn't realize my subscription had expired and haven't had any issues with my 2011 RSV.... until now. Background: Bike completely original. Garage kept all year round. About 33K miles. Noticed a few months ago that it seemed to be 'lugging' a little at highway speeds. Almost subtle enough to be imaginary and it is intermittent. Then about two weeks ago, while riding, the bike started acting starved for fuel (think right before you switch to reserve, but I'd just fueled up). Then it just lost all power, stopped running, and drifted to a stop. Pushed it about 1/4 mile and then it started right back up. Finished the rest of a 350 mile ride. Didn't happen again until today; when I gave it gas at a stop sign, it just lost power again and stopped dead. Sat for a couple of minutes (lesson learned from previous experience.... pushing these beasts is terrible!) and it started back up. On hard acceleration I smell raw gas. When I turn on the key, there are no codes showing on the lights. I've done my research before posting so as to not be a nuisance, and it seems like the ignition switch is a possible problem as well as a possible failing fuel pump. Any input would be greatly appreciated! (I'll be checking for plugged/pinched vent tube, clogged fuel filter, etc.) Thanks in advance! Scribz

The accelerating at highway speeds and cutting out is what mine was doing when my pump failed. Think you have the right idea on that.

Some people have cleaned or replaced the points on the pump. If you do a search you'll probably find info on it or a pump that you can use that would be compatible but cheaper than the Yamaha one.

I've sensed some hesitation after decel, and I also faintly smell gas at times. Reading this post makes me now wonder if there could be an issue with my fuel pump. I've only had gravity fed fuel delivery on past bikes, with the exception of one with EFI. What should I check--how does one check the fuel pump? Any tips would be appreciated.

The points are what usually fails on the pumps. At 33k I'd pull the black plastic end off the pump and at least check them. Not a hard fix but mine were completely fried at 45k.

Any suggestions on where to buy replacement points? Thanks!

And I think he's implying that unless they're fried you can clean them?

No, not implying at all. I'm not a fan of filing points. If I see any deformity at all I replace them. To change em it's one solder joint and make sure the lever is in the shaft slot.

Sounds more fuel pump than electrical. Electrical think a switch, on or off. If it kind of miss and boggs fuel. I did a write up that is in the 2nd gen tech section on replacing the points type pump with a solid state Mr Gasket. Fuel filter would be a safe bet to change out while your messing around there.

Sounds more fuel pump than electrical. Electrical think a switch, on or off. If it kind of miss and boggs fuel. I did a write up that is in the 2nd gen tech section on replacing the points type pump with a solid state Mr Gasket. Fuel filter would be a safe bet to change out while your messing around there.
Thanks!

Yea first time I change my filter out I rerouted it too. Then when I went to the solid state filter it had a screw in ford carb type that went in the pump. I also put a see thru filter pre-pump. So essentially I had 2 filters.

So, an update! I removed tank and finally got to the fuel pump and fuel filter (what a job!) I will be replacing the fuel filter and moving it to under the seat for easy access. When I examined the fuel pump points, I found they were fried- they look like they have melted somewhere along the way and then re-formed very unevenly. So I've ordered the K&L Universal fuel Pump Points Kit which appear to fit the 2011 Venture pump, although the fitment chart doesn't list the RSV specifically. I'm holding off digging into the ignition switch at this time due to what appears to be an even more difficult removal. Hopefully the fuel pump points kit will do the trick! Thanks to all that gave me advice and guidance!

So... after screwing around for hours trying to get the Mr. Gasket 42S pump to fit in the tight quarters of the location of the original fuel pump, I wired it up and..... dead. It would whine like it was trying to prime, but nothing came out. So I returned it to Autozone, and since they didn't have another one in stock, I went across the street to O'Reily's and spent 20 bucks more on an Edelbrook pump (Mexican made instead of Chinese). Brought it home, and within 5 minutes I had the bike up running. The proof will be when I get it all hardwired on Sunday and take it out for a test ride. I had to modify the sidecover a small amount to get the pump to fit, but it was a small bit of trimming on one of the tabs that the posts on the middle cover fit into. No big deal there.....

• Thanks 1

Which model Edelbrock pump did you buy? I hope it was the 17303 model as it has a max psi of 3.5. You don't want any more pressure than that on your carbs.

Exactly the one! The guy at O'Reilly's told me they got rid of Mr. Gasket pumps and went with the Edelbrok line awhile back because of so many complaints about the Mr. Gasket pumps. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10158805817050744&set=a.74514840743&type=3&theater

Just finished with everything, bolted the cowlings back on and went for a brief ride before rain moved in. The Edelbrock fuel pump seems to be working awesome! I will need to get her out on the road for a long drive to fully test her, but I'm very pleased! Here's everything I did while I had it torn apart: oil and oil filter changed, air filters changed, rear gear case oil drained and changed, all points requiring lubrication done, and spark plugs changed. Outside of carbs cleaned and lubricated and deep-cleaning in the areas normally not accessible done.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Since installing the Edelbrock electronic fuel pump (max. 3.5 psi) I have put over 600 flawless miles on my Venture without even a hiccup. With all the pm's I did at the same time, the bike runs much better than before! Mission accomplished! Thanks to everyone who offered advice and information!

• 1 year later...

John Scribner on a thread in Yamaha Royal Star Venture and Tour Deluxe Fans, and Owners says that he talked to Edelbrock. And that they assured him that 17303 has a shutoff valve. That if for no other reason is why I am buying one. May save my motor.

Edited by PreachJohn

• 5 weeks later...