IGNORED

Cruise Control turning off at every bump

1st time out on the Venture in 4 weeks, I've been having to much fun with the kid in the Ural sidecar I picked up last year!

Cruise control sets and will work fine, but I know I have the bike setup rather stiff for my riding style and the 1st good bump and the cruise will kick off. The usual culprits of clutch and brake switches or worn bushings in the levers. I've searched the forum and came across 2 reference for repairs, but they are both for 1st Gen ventures:

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?42720-1986-1993-Brake-and-Clutch-Electrical-Switch-Disassembly-and-Cleaning

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?80754-Cruise-Control&highlight=cruise+control

Can anyone verify if the Cleaning procedures are similar for a 2nd Gen?

Is there any adjustments that can be made to the pickup-up points of these switches?

Thanks

Never had a 2nd gen apart for that issue, but the principle would be the same. Take the handles off, clean them, lube them, and then re-install and check for play. If there is play, drill them out and make a new bushing for each. Chances are that the handle has worn and not the pin. Check the pin as well, and if its worn, get a new one first, it might solve your problem.

Does your lights flash also? Sometimes after i hit several good dips it will kick it off but when trying to rengage both lights flash.

It re-engages just fine...until I hit the next bump and one of the over-ride switches kicks it back off again. Riding a fairly new & level road last night was fine for a few miles, the system works as intended. The bike is a '99 and I'm certain its just wear and tear that needs to be addressed.

It re-engages just fine...until I hit the next bump and one of the over-ride switches kicks it back off again. Riding a fairly new & level road last night was fine for a few miles, the system works as intended. The bike is a '99 and I'm certain its just wear and tear that needs to be addressed.

I'm with Carl on this.....one of the switches (clutch, front brake, rear brake) is getting bumped by either a worn handle or misadjusted switch.

I'm with Carl on this.....one of the switches (clutch, front brake, rear brake) is getting bumped by either a worn handle or misadjusted switch.

Seems like it would be easy enough to figure out which switch is getting bumped,,, maybe just set the cruise and support the levers one at a time with a finger (or lift up on the rear brake with a toe) while hitting a bump or two or three and see if it helps..

My one first 1st Gen was a Royale and after it got a couple hundred thousand miles on it, it started doing this,, turned out to be the clutch lever pivot was tired and the slop let it bump the switch when bounced at all.. Good point you lop eared varmints!

Seems like it would be easy enough to figure out which switch is getting bumped,,, maybe just set the cruise and support the levers one at a time with a finger (or lift up on the rear brake with a toe) while hitting a bump or two or three and see if it helps..

My one first 1st Gen was a Royale and after it got a couple hundred thousand miles on it, it started doing this,, turned out to be the clutch lever pivot was tired and the slop let it bump the switch when bounced at all.. Good point you lop eared varmints!

Completely agree that its just worn out components, just looking to see if anyone has cleaned up the contacts on a 2nd Gen as the instructions indicated for a 1st Gen.

Follow link to item 4

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2004/royal-star-midnight-venture-xvz13tfms/front-master-cylinder-2

My bike was doing the same thing and at first look I thought it might be in the contacts however with more closely looking the brass bushing was worn enough to allow the vibration or bumps to disengage the cruise. Easy replacement and have not had an issue since. If you take it out for a ride and put pressure away from you on the lever handles and the cruise stays engaged my bet is need to replace bushing.

Later

Brian Shoemaker

Follow link to item 4

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2004/royal-star-midnight-venture-xvz13tfms/front-master-cylinder-2

My bike was doing the same thing and at first look I thought it might be in the contacts however with more closely looking the brass bushing was worn enough to allow the vibration or bumps to disengage the cruise. Easy replacement and have not had an issue since. If you take it out for a ride and put pressure away from you on the lever handles and the cruise stays engaged my bet is need to replace bushing.

15 min and $9 repair...I'm game! Taking it down to mom's lake house this weekend and will play around with the levers while cruising and verify. Again, the bikes a '99 with 70k miles, I know parts are wearing out and causing these issues.

Follow link to item 4

Later

Brian Shoemaker

Cowboy is spot on. I had the same issue on My '06 when I hit about 95K miles on it.