IGNORED

Trying to clean motorcycle seat

saddlebum

I have a black and grey motorcycle seat from a first gen I am trying to clean. Time has shown its handy work as the light grey has pretty much turned black and I have tried a host of cleaners to try and clean it (even a bit of brake clean on a rag in a not so noticeable spot, That was scary I don't think the vinyl like that move at all) So far I have had the best luck with a product called citra clean http://citraclean.com/ and elbow grease. so far I have only worked on the center triangle of the seat as shown in the pic attached. If any one has a great solution I would love to know it.20190806_113016.jpg

Years ago I went thru a plathora of products testing for cleaning seats as well as other common materials on scoots I was restoring. The very best product I came up with is a product called "Greased Lightening".. It is amazing well it works if used properly. I found that direct application to the seat (seat off the bike as Lightening will stain aluminum if not carefully used) and scrubbed with a scrub brush and power washed to remove the Lightening worked EXCELLENT! Work hard and fast Bum, scrub for a couple minutes, rinse/spray to see what you have. If not happy = repeat.. MAKE SURE YOU RINSE THOUROULY = stuff is powerful..PS - it does work EXCELLENT as a wash too in a diluted state as mentioned on the jug but you REALLY gotta be careful around unpainted/clear coated aluminum!!

Here's the product on ebay but check out Menards or box store for bigger bottles - this is just an example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-GREASED-LIGHTENING-MULTI-PURPOSE-CLEANER-DEGREASER-3-2-OZ-BOTTLES/163641988082?hash=item2619d293f2:g:g04AAOSwmaVblVs-

The seat on my 85 was all gunky and black, and nothing I had would even touch it, even my goto orange based cleaner that cleans everything wouldn't touch it. So the seat came off,,,turned out to be a right move for once,,,, and carb cleaner was applied,,, at first a littlebit for a short time, then more for a longer short time. In the end I had a good looking seat without any noticeable damage. I did treat it with saddlesoap and Thee Tannery afterwards.

I once had a seat that dirty, I couldn’t get it clean, so i gave it away
:beer:

So after trying to clean it with about 15 defferent cleaners the carb and choke cleaner suggested by Marcarl took first price followed by my citra clean. Plus I followed up the carb cleaner with citra cleaner and finally and industrial vinyl treatment similar to armour all.The seat did not com out perfect but I would say a huge 95% improvement. Interesting little thing although the seat is for a MK I it fits the MK II wexcept the passanger seat is a tad smaller. The drivers seat is a tad lower and so I found myself seating about 1 1/2 inches lower and when I took it for a ride I swear it felt like I could handle the twisties even better than when I had the MK II seat. Although the original upholstry on the bike is brown the grey black does not look half bad. I have a black back rest and left rear arm rest so now all I need to do is find a right rear black arm rest and a set of lack pouches.

Thanks for the seat Grez007 :thumbsup2:20190811_223530 (Medium).jpg

Edited by saddlebum

:beer:

So after trying to clean it with about 15 defferent cleaners the carb and choke cleaner suggested by Marcarl took first price followed by my citra clean. Plus I followed up the carb cleaner with citra cleaner and finally and industrial vinyl treatment similar to armour all.The seat did not com out perfect but I would say a huge 95% improvement. Interesting little thing although the seat is for a MK I it fits the MK II wexcept the passanger seat is a tad smaller. The drivers seat is a tad lower and so I found myself seating about 1 1/2 inches lower and when I took it for a ride I swear it felt like I could handle the twisties even better than when I had the MK II seat. Although the original upholstry on the bike is brown the grey black does not look half bad. I have a black back rest and left rear arm rest so now all I need to do is find a right rear black arm rest and a set of lack pouches.

Thanks for the seat Grez007 :thumbsup2:https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117266

Not too often I can make this statement, so now given the opportunity,,,,,,,,,,,

I told you so!!!!!!!!!

Now that is supposed to feel better,,,but didn't make any difference.

That black and gray seat was only on the 1984 Standard Venture. Rare bird.

I have a couple of gray pouches for the trunk and and maybe a couple pouches for the fairing.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117267

Grey huh sounds like it could work. I found some black vinyl paint and repainted the right arm rest from brown to black and now it looks better than the left one I already had.

I think there was a black pouch in that box of stuff you haded over to me, you are welcome to get it back if you like. I think its one of the smaller ones with a snap, not a zipper( wherever thats supposed to go) that seat looks awesome by the way, glad you were able to save it!

• 2 months later...
Just found another black arm rest in my junk pile I mean surplus inventory. so now I have two matching black arm rests. Glad I didn't repaint the second one. so now everything except the pouches match. So Prairiehammer what would you want for the grey pouches.

I have three gray trunk pouches and two gray fairing pouches. One fairing pouch snap was pulled free by the PO and has been repaired.

$20 each your choice plus actual shipping costs. How many do you want?