IGNORED

Spam attack

Freebird

I've been away most of the weekend just looking at the new posts and bottom right hand corner, a 1"sg. logal in the shape of a grey & blue arrow saying

"Privacy-Terms" it seem to be baiting for a click..

I had this some weeks ago on my internet browser's home page. It appears to be some sort of "privacy" or "anti spam" type thing from Google. If you hover over it it says Protected by reCAPCHA, like when logging in to some websites, you sometimes have to click on specific pictures or parts of pictures to prove you're not a robot spammer. Maybe it's something Don added in to help with the spam problems he's been having recently.

Thanks for everything you do Freebird. It may be time to look into an add on for the site that requires some form of multi factor like reCAPCHA. I don't know what this site uses on the back end but I'd be willing to help research options. I for one would be willing to pay more for my membership to help pay for it too.

@Freebird This thing called privacy - terms comes up in the bottom right of my screen but only when I am on the VR site. I use fire fox normally but it still comes up if I use chrome and IE. If I move the mouse over it expands and say's "protected by reCAPTCHA"

Edited by saddlebum

OK folks. I've made a lot of changes since these spam attacks started. I think that I have finally made some progress. I have software and etc. in place now that is blocking about a thousand spammers a day.

I have turned on the "welcome thread" again. I may have to turn it off again but we'll give it a try. New users still go into moderation and I have to manually approve them for now. That is a pain and will result in some people having to wait awhile until I get to the computer and approve them but it is what it is.

Here's the thing though. As soon as a new member signs up and then confirms their email, the welcome thread welcomes them to the site. That is before I get on and approve them through the moderation interface. I haven't found a way around that yet. So you may see some "Welcomes" to members that can't yet post because their membership hasn't been approved yet.

That being said, it is a lot better than it was. Now if my hair will just grow. back....... :doh:

That being said, it is a lot better than it was. Now if my hair will just grow. back....... :doh:

I kinda thought that was the case but wanted to be sure since its getting hard to trust anything that comes up. Yesterday I got a pop up notice presumably from microsoft stating that come Nov 2019 my version of windows 10 will no longer be suported and wanted me to run the update. I do not know whether to trust it or not even though it seems legit.

In any case Don, as always thank you for your steadfast commitment and hard work to keep this site as safe as possible.

On the hair issue if you show the same tenacity I am sure you will find a solution. BTW I expect regular updates on that as well :Cartoon_397:

Edited by saddlebum

Jeez I remember when spam came in a can and spammers by the thousands were only found once a year at beer festivals served by heavy set mamas!

Things just aren't the same anymo):

Haven't you heard Saddlebum we all voted and have decided to roll back to Windows 7... You are so not with it! Are you still out riding fences...

Jeez I remember when spam came in a can and spammers by the thousands were only found once a year at beer festivals served by heavy set mamas!

Things just aren't the same anymo):

Haven't you heard Saddlebum we all voted and have decided to roll back to Windows 7... You are so not with it!

So why stop there :backinmyday: a real improvement would be to go back to XP :beer:

Are you still out riding fences...
You make that sound like a bad thing :think:

Wish I still had XP, Jeff. Company sent out new laptops and required the old turned in. Said it was due to software updates. So now, retired I have two Windows 10s. They were upgraded from 7s. Company said keep them for yourself but don't sell them (I guess due to programs) but all that has been wiped.

:farmer:

Don I am a moderator on a Chevy truck forum, we recently went thru the spam attack thing. At one point the spam got so bad it almost permanently took the site down. We were in the same boat where the only way to get it under control was to make things less convenient for the members. In the grand scheme of things the members understood and were willing to live with the changes to get rid of the spam.

saddlebum

Of the 4 puters I have at work 3 of them are XP PRO and one is still on NT.

At home I have 4 puters, the 2 I use the most are on XP Pro and the other 2 are on WIN 7.

People would be surprised at how many major corporations are still running XP due to its stability, and how many things with embedded software that you buy to day still have XP as the base OS.