IGNORED

My "New" 1986 Venture Royale

luvmy40

First things first.

86MK21.jpg

86MK22.jpg

86MK23.jpg

I just brought this beauty home tonight!

Let me tell you, this is as close to mint as a bike this old with any mileage(33K) could possibly be! I see two scratches that are even noticeable and the vents on the side covers have some cracks. But they are there and complete. That's it! The paint is nearly perfect(those two scratches I mentioned) and everything is operational. It even came with two paint matched helmets with the factory intercom system, the factory service manual, the original owner's manual, the original tool kit and all the pads in the bags. The two scratches are on the left side bag cover where it fell from the seat once.

Technically I'm the fourth owner, though the third only owned it for a little over a week and never transferred the title so I am legally speaking the third owner. The second owner is in his late seventies and bought from his friend in 1999 with 9594 miles on the clock.

I had seen this bike posted on Facebook Market Place a few weeks ago for $2000.00 but did not respond as the one picture looked too good to be true(ask me about my experiences in that realm sometime) and the description was along the lines of "looks nice, runs good". I just wrote it off. The guy I bought it from did respond to that FB add and brought it home with the intent to resell it as he is a Gold Wing guy.

I gave him $2300.00, after all he rode it the 100 miles or so from Tiffan to Perry making a shorter trip for me to pick it up.

He did say that the CLASS works but shows E4 error? I know I've seen some talk about this here, I just don't remember what it means.

Any way, to say I am happy with this find would be quite the understatement!

Yes! I am very glad that I kept looking! Thanks for emotional support from everyone who listened to me whine about my trials and tribulations in the world of Face Book and Craig's List!

The pics above are from the PO's FB posting as I forgot to take any before we loaded her up and it was too dark for photos when I got her home.

I went out first thing this morning and got some pics of her on the truck.

86MK24.jpg

86MK25.jpg

86MK26.jpg

86MK27.jpg

86MK28.jpg

86MK29.jpg

86MK210.jpg

If you look closely at the pics of the side bags you can see on left bag almost in the reflective flash a scratch about 2-1/2" long and one just ahead and above that about 1/2" long. On the right side bag you can see the back, top corrner of the pin stripe is chipped and there is a tiny scuff just below that.

That is the worst damage to the paint I can find. Now, I have experienced the "New Bike Goggles" phenomenon before. I know I'll find more of the like as the newness wears off. But I doubt I'll find any cosmetic issues wose than those I've pointed out. She's just that perfect!

Three things make for this not being the absolute perfect bike for us, and they are minor I know.

1. The back rest pad is black and faded. It was obviously bought later and did not come the bike from the factory. The back rest mounting hardware, just as obviously DID come with the factory package. I can only assume the original was lost or damaged somehow.

2. She does not have a luggage rack on the trunk lid.

3. She does not have a trailer hitch.

All can be easily remedied.

She was cold in an air conditioned shop when I arrived and started right up with no enrichment with just the slightest bump of the start button. I did not even take a ride, except to run her up the ramp onto the truck. My grin was so wide the seller knew he could add some $ to price and I would have just said OK and start counting! I fully expected another situation where the pictures were old and the bike was a shadow her former glory and got exactly the opposite. The picture didn't do her justice.

OK, I'll shut up about my good fortune...for a while.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Excellent find!

The E4 error. Easy fix. On the right side of the fairing, lift the lid holding the Class control and look down. At the front is the overflow bottle, the rear is the white Class connector going into the controller. That connector strains the circuit board and cracks develop on it. Solder the connector and all should be well again.

To get to it, take off the top panel on the fairing, then the Class controller. While you are there, take off the CB antenna cable, clean, check your signal strength and put it back.

The rest is easy. Take the controller apart, pull the circuit board and resolder the pins for the connector. Use a magnifying glass to make sure you get a good connection. Put back together and test. Don't over heat the board wit the soldering iron...use a pencil if you have one.

I found pics on the forum somewhere....

david

Yes! I am very glad that I kept looking! Thanks for emotional support from everyone who listened to me whine about my trials and tribulations in the world of Face Book and Craig's List!

The pics above are from the PO's FB posting as I forgot to take any before we loaded her up and it was too dark for photos when I got her home.

I went out first thing this morning and got some pics of her on the truck.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117044

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117045

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117046

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117047

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117048

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117049

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117050

If you look closely at the pics of the side bags you can see on left bag almost in the reflective flash a scratch about 2-1/2" long and one just ahead and above that about 1/2" long. On the right side bag you can see the back, top corrner of the pin stripe is chipped and there is a tiny scuff just below that.

That is the worst damage to the paint I can find. Now, I have experienced the "New Bike Goggles" phenomenon before. I know I'll find more of the like as the newness wears off. But I doubt I'll find any cosmetic issues wose than those I've pointed out. She's just that perfect!

Three things make for this not being the absolute perfect bike for us, and they are minor I know.

1. The back rest pad is black and faded. It was obviously bought later and did not come the bike from the factory. The back rest mounting hardware, just as obviously DID come with the factory package. I can only assume the original was lost or damaged somehow.

2. She does not have a luggage rack on the trunk lid.

3. She does not have a trailer hitch.

All can be easily remedied.

She was cold in an air conditioned shop when I arrived and started right up with no enrichment with just the slightest bump of the start button. I did not even take a ride, except to run her up the ramp onto the truck. My grin was so wide the seller knew he could add some $ to price and I would have just said OK and start counting! I fully expected another situation where the pictures were old and the bike was a shadow her former glory and got exactly the opposite. The picture didn't do her justice.

OK, I'll shut up about my good fortune...for a while.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

:thumbdown:,,, I'd NEVER shut up about owning such a great big gorgeous scoot like that sweetheart... I would spend hours and hours and hours in the penalty box here for :Im not listening to to much about it but even then I would be seen talking to myself about it .. I wouldn't even shut up as I was riding it :stickinouttounge:!!! Somethings in life are just not shutting up material:thumbsup:..

She is a BEAUTY Rich and I look forward to hearing wayyyy more about her and perhaps even seeing her IRL!!:big-grin-emoticon:

Fortunately I have tires on the way already as the rubber on the new girl is 18 and 19 years old. Still has the mold nubbins all over!

I'll get a crash course in tearing the back end apart first thing. I'm hoping the tires show up tomorrow. I'll order a set of Kenda Challengers for the boy to mount on his new girl as he doesn't put anywhere near the mileage on that I do. They'll age out before he wears them out.

The boy and I swapped seats today(he's taking ownership of The Beast), cause I ain't giving up my new custom made saddle! so I have a MK2 back rest and brackets in Black vinyl that I will send to anyone who needs it. I can't remember if we have a pay it forward thread But I'll look around and if there is I'll post it up there.

I found a few more very minor defects. I knew I would, but you have look really close and hard to see them!

Ya Ya not likely... "OK, I'll shut up about my good fortune...for a while." Aint it always so, from hunter to bragger ;)

You know Luv that is a gentlemen's ride so keep your nose down when you passing the broken downs...

note: after fixing the class board it was good for a while then it started acting up again.. so I took a pic with my phone then enlarged it finding more cracks at the other end of the board, she remained good after that.

Oh yeah, about the CLASS. It does work The E4 error is not constant. One time you try to make a change you get the error. The next time it woks just fine. I found if it pops an error, start the bike, the switch back to accessory and the error is most likely gone. Sometimes the pressure sensor wonks out and shows 0 or 98 psi. Start it and switch to accy. and it's fine.

Oh yeah, about the CLASS. It does work The E4 error is not constant. One time you try to make a change you get the error. The next time it woks just fine. I found if it pops an error, start the bike, the switch back to accessory and the error is most likely gone. Sometimes the pressure sensor wonks out and shows 0 or 98 psi. Start it and switch to accy. and it's fine.

Yep its the board!

You are correct about the backrest as not FACTORY original equipment, because there was no FACTORY rider's backrest, ever on any Venture. But you are incorrect about the brackets, they did NOT come in a "factory package".

Your backrest is a Yamaha VentureLine backrest accessory offered by Yamaha dealers. It was available in brown (Yamaha called it "Burgundy") or black (to match the particular Venture seat color.) Retail price in 2001 was $240!

BTW: your offer of this backrest for free on the "Paying it Forward" section is very generous. The VentureLine backrest has been sold on eBay for as much as $190! The brackets alone have sold for $50.

I have one for sale (in black), too. I am asking $120 + actual shipping costs. You will certainly move yours much quicker!

Backrest, driver, VentureLine, MKII,  ABA-1NLCD-04-40 brackets only $50.00 2013.jpgVentureLine access2.jpgUntitled.jpg

Edited by Prairiehammer

Lift the lid and wiggle the wires with the bike in "aux" mode. See if the display is intermittent.

Great find. I love the older Yamaha's handle bars to no end. I love the TC I have now and loved the '06 Gen 2 I had but the handle bars on the Gen 1 I rode were my favorite of the lot. They just seemed to fit me perfectly. Wish they would've kept that format. You should have miles and miles of fun on that.

Great find. I love the older Yamaha's handle bars to no end. I love the TC I have now and loved the '06 Gen 2 I had but the handle bars on the Gen 1 I rode were my favorite of the lot. They just seemed to fit me perfectly. Wish they would've kept that format. You should have miles and miles of fun on that.

I put the 2 1/2" ROX risers on my SCTC and then are pretty much perfect now.

Brother, be proud very proud of that beautiful '86. If you haven't seen it already, I'm in the middle of breaking my down and restoring it.

You can follow me either on the FB Group, here or for quicker updates on my website: www.jonathondbaker.com

Just took off the rear this weekend and the pipes, have some Road Kings on the way. Have to get a new rear as well.

Again awesome sauce with that bike...

10f1a93e-df4b-480a-93df-49846f642be0-32f5e926-8fcb-4a73-9857-cbf9edc4d8b7-v1.png

I put the 2 1/2" ROX risers on my SCTC and then are pretty much perfect now.

I'll be picking up risers soon. The handlebar shape of the Gen 1 and that era of Yamaha with the downward sweep of the grips is what I really liked. I had an old Yamaha 400 Special II that had the grips almost vertical. That was interesting to ride to say the least so I went back to the factory bars after a few months.