IGNORED

Yard irrigation

djh3

Hmm power went out just as I got all my info loaded here. Arghh

So my irrigation system has been INOP for a couple years. I have piped in a connection with a ball valve to put city water to system to check out leaks/broken sprinklers/ breaks in lines etc. all of that is sound now. when I turn on the pump motor runs but no pressure. So open city water and I can get maybe 4-5' of coverage, turn pump on and it it increses to maybe 7-10' which is about where I think it should be. turn off city water and nuttin. Even with city water hose off pump running open valve I get no water spraying out. This am I did out of the city water/hose connection, maybe 3 inch or so but not what it should be at 40 psi or more.

I did split the case and check things out best I could. Impeller bushing looks worn bad and black like overheated. So I did the old pack it with grease to take up space thing and no better results. So I am thinking my next step is remove pump from system, drop a line in the kiddy pool use for dog baths and see if it will pump. Sound like a viable plan? If pump makes water move I guess then its in the line from the well up. $$$$$$$$

I do not know the brand of pump. So far the only part # I can gather is off impeller housing. C1-258p which comes up a Berkly pump. I dont think that is what I would have put on there as I am not familiar with them. I can tell you it looks like a Flowtec maybe a FP5172 FP5172-08_72337_1000.jpg

Yea I have dealt a little with wells for a house and foot valves. But I have no idea where this well line goes once it leaves the pump. I have to imagine there is a check valve of some type. But.... once I had water in pump and it on it should create enough suction to draw, and loose it after I turn pump off if the valve is bad.

Had a similar issue a number of years back, I dropped in a new pump and all was good, took the old pump to local place and they rebuilt it. Sitting in my shed as a spare. One thing is those pumps do not like to run dry, they will ruin the impeller in short order, so if you lost prime on the pump and it ran for a while dry, the impeller is probably toast.

You need to make sure there is water in the pipe going to the well or what ever is supplying the pump.

On mine there is a threaded plug on the top of the pump and on the top of the well pipe, fill them up with water to prime the system. If the foot valve is bad the water in the pipe going to the source will leak out.

It is possible that if you have a simple well with a sand point at the bottom, which is pretty typical here in FL, the sand point is clogged or maybe the water level has dropped below the bottom of the well pipe.

Hmm power went out just as I got all my info loaded here. Arghh

So my irrigation system has been INOP for a couple years. I have piped in a connection with a ball valve to put city water to system to check out leaks/broken sprinklers/ breaks in lines etc. all of that is sound now. when I turn on the pump motor runs but no pressure. So open city water and I can get maybe 4-5' of coverage, turn pump on and it it increses to maybe 7-10' which is about where I think it should be. turn off city water and nuttin. Even with city water hose off pump running open valve I get no water spraying out. This am I did out of the city water/hose connection, maybe 3 inch or so but not what it should be at 40 psi or more.

I did split the case and check things out best I could. Impeller bushing looks worn bad and black like overheated. So I did the old pack it with grease to take up space thing and no better results. So I am thinking my next step is remove pump from system, drop a line in the kiddy pool use for dog baths and see if it will pump. Sound like a viable plan? If pump makes water move I guess then its in the line from the well up. $$$$$$$$

I do not know the brand of pump. So far the only part # I can gather is off impeller housing. C1-258p which comes up a Berkly pump. I dont think that is what I would have put on there as I am not familiar with them. I can tell you it looks like a Flowtec maybe a FP5172 https://www.waterpumpsdirect.com/products-image/360/FP5172-08_72337_1000.jpg

How lucky are you Having the irrigation go out during rainy season.

I have some experience with well pumps but nada on irrigation pumps. Reading what's posted so far makes me wonder if the pump is supposed to pull from the well or if it's a booster pump to raise pressure coming from the well pump. If it's a booster it makes me think there could be a valve turned off upstream from the stepped on line repair??? Like I said I don't know much about it but enquiring minds want to know.

ITs a well pump, only one to supply pressure. Steve I'm really leaning towards the impeller/housing. I showed it to the fellow @ the pool place and he says "oh its fine". To me it looks overheated and the impeller does not fit tight enough to me. I understand it cant be like a press fit, but I bet there is .030 clearance. I put it back together and took silicon dielectric grease and put a thick bead of it in the bushing. I can get a little pressure out my supply bleed port, but it aint much. So tomorrow looking for a "repair/rebuild" kit for impeller and difuser. If nothing else I will know the pump is got all new bits.