IGNORED

Cheap Cheap Royale Miracle

Hello All

Just wanted to share a video and some pictures my "new to me" 86 Royale, I bought this bike for 300 dollars for parts ( it has a clean title ) the previous owner told me the engine was seized, leaks all over, it was a real pain to bring it home but we managed. I then hook it up to my trusty Costco Duracell starter and after barely touching the start button, the bike comes alive engine and stereo blasting, the air suspension works, everything seems to work so I am thinking on making it my main bike

Now I post the video here to ask for more experienced ears to help me diagnose because it sounds really off despite not failing to start

royale2.jpgroyale.jpg

Welcome to the Venturerider's Serj. I suggest that you start with the simple stuff first. Fresh Gas! Check the plugs! Sync the carbs! Add a can of Seafoam or some other fuel system of your choice and ride it like you stole it (which you did at $300). If it sat around for a while all of the above will help. More First Genner's will be adding to this list so hang on. Good luck and keep up posted.

Welcome to the Venturerider's Serj. I suggest that you start with the simple stuff first. Fresh Gas! Check the plugs! Sync the carbs! Add a can of Seafoam or some other fuel system of your choice and ride it like you stole it (which you did at $300). If it sat around for a while all of the above will help. More First Genner's will be adding to this list so hang on. Good luck and keep up posted.

Yup, I can only add a fuel filter. Keep us posted, you got a deal even if you need to sink several hundred into it :happy34:

Sounds like it's running on 2 cylinders or maybe even one. The first thing to check is the compression. If the compression is good, then it may be worth spending money to fix everything else. If the compression is low, adjust the valves and recheck. If the compression is still low, the engine needs a rebuild.

Sounds like it's running on 2 cylinders or maybe even one. The first thing to check is the compression. If the compression is good, then it may be worth spending money to fix everything else. If the compression is low, adjust the valves and recheck. If the compression is still low, the engine needs a rebuild.

Thanks! it does sound like a lawnmower when its idling

may have to clean the carbs if the seafoam does not work. it sounds to me as the low speed jets maybe partly blocked and it does need a carb synced for sure. but other then that do like the others suggested. Good luck

Yup!! Compression test for a good baseline! Carbs will definitely need attention, research the "shotgun" method here or on the VMax forum, try a full can of seafoam added to a tank of gas and drive it like you stole it.

Try a new set of NGK plugs and make sure you don't have the dreaded green disease on the coil output. When you check for this, cut about 1/4" to 1/2" off of the coil wire to insure a good connection. Speaking of wires, maybe consider nice new ones. On the plug connectors, inside the caps is a resistor element and a disc which can become corroded and cause problems. You need to do a spark test on all 4 wires. Using a gap tester (they cost $15 - $20 at most auto parts store) you should pul a minimum of 0.100" spark, I think the factory spec is 0.106".

You will also want to eventually do a valve adjustment on the engine, but first do a compression test and insure you are getting the proper spark on all 4 cylinders before you start carb work...

Welcome to the club!

Wow nice seeing how many posts included compression test!

!st, you you establish a budget that is reasonable for the age and mileage of the bike, then post it and let the guys help you reach it.

2nd remove the carbs, ZERO sense to me to do anything with them at this point on the bike! You will be looking to change some gaskets and clean the pilots jets (easy step) check bowl levels, inspect the needles and diaphragms. Again posting pic help us help you.

3rd you do the compression test follow the link below. Most likely we can help you level off the compression if needed.

Post the mileage of the bike.

Stay in touch with the group and they will show what makes this club different then the rest;)

Patch

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?137296-A-Case-for-Fogging&highlight=case+fogging

Thanks everybody, awesome help

I bought the compression test kit just to realize after I got home that the Harbor Freight ones are not really reliable so I will get a better brand and get back to you as son as I get more info