IGNORED

OK computer experts

Venturous Randy

I have an HP B&O laptop with a terabyte of memory that is giving me some problems.

Currently, I am occasionally getting a box popup telling me I have a Windows problem and I can not delete the problem unless I do the three manual shutdowns that work on Windows 10. I have Malwarebytes Premium and will do a scan and nothing pops up.

I also have a problem with my disc cleanup. After I do a disc cleanup, I still have 854MB in the "Temporary Internet Files" section because there is a lock on those files.

On the "System error memory dump files" I still have 866MB, but there is no lock showing on this file.

On the "Temporary files" I still have 73.4MB.

I have researched the "lock file" problem, but I have not been able to find one that works on my computer that will unlock the file.

I have considered taking it back to "factory settings", but I know I will loose all my various passwords and I have a bunch of stuff in my favorites listings that I don't know how to save other than save them individually and transfer them to a thumb drive.

I use Windows Edge that came on the computer. I am not very computer savvy, but so far I have been able to work thru most of the problems that pop up.

Any help is appreciated.

Randy

Can't say for certain if this is your problem but active files cannot be deleted from a hard drive. It is quite possible there is a bad file in your temporary Internet cache that is always active, think unauthorized tracking.

This is how to clear the temp Internet files in Edge:

To clear cache and cookies when using Microsoft Edge, follow the steps detailed below: Click on the menu button situated in the upper right corner. Under Clear browsing data, click on Choose what to clear. Check the boxes next to Cookies and saved website data and Cacheddata and files.
If that doesn't work try running a scandisk either from Safe Mode or even better schedule a scandisk for the next boot. That should fix any broken files before Win 10 loads.

If that doesn't work it gets a little more complicated. Using Windows Explorer find the folder that hold the Temporary Internet Files. Write down the path that is shown in the address bar at the top. Reboot to a command prompt in the same menu that Safe Mode can be activated from.

Type: CD "the path you previously wrote down" - press Enter

Type: dir - press Enter (This should give you a list of all files in the temp Internet directory)

If you are in the right directory you should see the folders and files you saw when in Win 10.

You want to be sure you are in the right directory before entering the following command because everything in the directory will be deleted, never to be recovered.

delete *.* - press Enter

Good luck Venturing into the Tech Sector.

Dont know anything about "Edge" Randy but if it were mine, I would do a system restore in an attempt to take it back to an earlier date. If that failed, I would write down my passwords, move wanted pictures/documents that you know are clean to an external drive and then do a complete cold reboot restore taking that puppy back to as new,, a complete reinstall if you will = wipe out the bad stuff = all of it.. Sounds to me like you bumped into some kind of virus/bug/worm/scammer that is killing your puter..

Another method that was HIGHLY successful was doing exactly what you have done here by posting on the site. As a result of me doing exactly that, one of the guru's on the site took over my puter once thru some program that allowed him to access my machine from miles and miles away. I sat and watched him work on my computer (WOWZY WOW WOW WOW was that strange!!) and make necessary changes that brought it back up to excellence (THANKS AGAIN MY DEAR FRIEND!).. That was fun and VERY interesting (watching stuff being deleted/changed/corrected right before my eyes without touching the keyboard = WAYYYY COOL!!) - maybe someone with such talent and skill will chime in offer assistance in this way..

Currently, I am occasionally getting a box popup telling me I have a Windows problem and I can not delete the problem unless I do the three manual shutdowns that work on Windows 10. I have Malwarebytes Premium and will do a scan and nothing pops up.

I also have a problem with my disc cleanup. After I do a disc cleanup, I still have 854MB in the "Temporary Internet Files" section because there is a lock on those files.

On the "System error memory dump files" I still have 866MB, but there is no lock showing on this file.

On the "Temporary files" I still have 73.4MB.

I have researched the "lock file" problem, but I have not been able to find one that works on my computer that will unlock the file.

Randy

I've never heard of Windows suggesting three manual shutdowns to "fix" itself. I've run into situations where it was recommended to run "chkdsk" three times from a command line. Sounds like you caught a "bug" from somewhere.

As Cowpuc suggested, you can try to recover a restore point (also called a "restore point") but you'd want to go back a few weeks before the issue started.

Right click on the bar at the bottom of Windows and run Task Manager. Depending on what your knowledge level is you can "end task" on suspicious applications or processes that are running.

Beside the Windows icon on the bottom left click on the magnifying glass and type : add remove

Click on "Add or remove programs". On the right side of the window that opens click on "Programs and Features". Another window will open. Click on the column title that says "Installed On" to sort. One click should do it but you might have to click a second time to sort from newest to oldest. Look at the first column to see what has been installed by name or by publisher. If there is anything that you don't recognize or looks suspicious, click once on the line and then above the list click on "Uninstall".

CCCleaner is an option as well.

Microsoft has a "safety scanner" you can run - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Start with these steps.

System Restore is my go to if I can not find a "fix" for something. I dont use Edge or IE. I use Chrome or @ work we use Mozilla Firefox. If it goes to overwhelming go to Best Buy Geek Squad or our Office Depot does computer stuff like that too.

Hey Randy here are some tools I have used and what I use today that have worked for me from 7 to 8.

Remember that Webroot works differently than any other security software I am aware of, it is not stored on your computer, meaning it works over a cloud. What it will do is monitor a bug by tricking it into thinking it is running home to Momma where as in fact it is being watched and studied by Webroot. If Webroot has already logged the bugs behavior then it will lock it down.Since I have been using it I haven't had any concerns with it nor have I seen any logs showing quarantine and all my net searches as you know are Webroot deemed safe. Webroot was the only home use software at the time I started that would reverse ransom ware, something my industry had been hit with often.

However I also use another sidekick software found here https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/ I've used this one before switching to Webroot but now just as backup running side by side in safe mode with networking kind of like boot camp inspection, whenever the mood strikes me. The full version version I found to be too hyper vigilant for my liking.

But I 1st started with this Windows Defender Offline in safe mode with networking for the download. Yes its a manual operation but my computers stayed clean with it, the concern is down loading it on an infected computer may corrupt the files but like I said I never had issue using it! https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/17466/windows-defender-offline-help-protect-my-pc

Down towards the bottom of the page you'll find the link;)

Patch