IGNORED

Not MC, but fun for the gearheads, Surface Grinder build.

Flyinfool

Jeff,

Stepper (and their big brother - servo) motors and controls are what I do for a living. Sorry I didn't see this before.

Let me know if you have questions. I may be able to help.

RR

HA! I got more questions than you can shake a stick at.

I know nuttin about this stuff.

I have no problems with the mechanics of how it works and building what I need, It is the control parts that have me spinning.

This first part is just to make the table cycle back and forth, then I get to figure out how to make the table feed a set amount at the end of each stroke.

I may have to do some serious brain picking on you.

I now have the mounting plate nearly done.

The original mounting holes were drilled with a #7 drill bit so that they would work as drill bushings for the drill and tap of the machine, they have now been opened up to 1/4 by 1/2 slots to allow for belt tightening.

I just have to open up the hole that the machine shaft goes thru. I initially made it to match the shaft so that I could use the plate as a drill guide for putting the mounting holes in the machine. Now I have to open it up for the machine boss and the spacers that will line everything up. Size and finish is not critical and no one will see it once installed, So I will just use around a 2 inch hole saw with 2 holes spaced 1/2 inch apart and clean up the points with an end mill to make it a 2 inch wide x 2-1/2 long slot to match the mounting slots, and call it close enough. Then I can start with mounting the motor to the plate and the plate to the machine. Once I get that done I can take the final measurements for the length of spacers that will be needed to finish the stack up on the machines table drive shaft. For the motor end of the plate, I drilled and tapped mounting holes and nose relief for a NEMA 23 on one side of the plate and a NEMA 34 on the other side of the plate. Just in case the 23 is not strong enough to do the job. It was a lot easier to add the relief and hole for the 34 as long as it was all set up and indicated in on the rotary table. T

It has been slow going, temps are supposed to be pushing 100°F with super high humidity (dew point hitting 80°F) for good measure. I am old and can not tolerate that kind of heat anymore. It is supposed to be cooler next week.

Pics of the plate will be coming as soon as I can get that last hole done and some paint squirted on it to match the paint I used on the rest of the machine. OR maybe I'll just clean it up and use some gun bluing on it. I did machine all of the outside edges just to true it up. I could slap it on the surface grinder to make the front pretty and then just leave it looking like a ground surface. Hmmmmmmm........... decisions, I have never had any artistic flair as to what would look good. This plate is steel, if it were aluminum I would leave it plain. I just happened to have a chunk of 3/8 thick steel plate laying around when I started this, and no aluminum plate laying around.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was delayed again, had to deal with dad going into hospice and finally passing and then the funeral stuff. That is all behind me now and it is time to get back to life.

I did make the mistake of working on this some while all this was going on, my brain must have not been functioning properly because 2 of the holes in the stepper mounting pattern are drilled and tapped exactly .100 off from where they should be. SO now my choices are to slot those 2 holes and just use a screw and nut to attach the stepper, or weld the holes closed, clean up the weld, anneal the weld, and then drill and tap in the correct spot. I am leaning toward just slotting the 2 offending holes since once the nuts are on, no one will ever see the slots and this will be a LOT faster.

This all amazes me, since the only machining I have ever done was in college working second shift for company making vane pumps. I started on a Colonial Broach, then to a zip and finally a surface grinder. Hated working in manufacturing but it gave me money to continue my education. I am proud of your accomplishments Fool.

:farmer:

Thanks Sly, The machining hobby is one where one will spend hundreds to make a part that they could have bought for 20, and love every minute of it. It is usually not the finished part that is the goal, it is the journey to get there. Kind of like motorcycles, it is not the destination, it is the getting there that is fun.

We have more progress.

I have the stepper motor and the belt drive all mounted up on the grinder. Plugged in the electronics I built earlier and the table even moves back and forth now.

WOOOOOO HOOOOOO

I still have to mount the switches for the table reversing. Right now I am just holding one switch in each hand and clicking to reverse direction. But I just had to see the table move under its own power.

There are still some issue to sort out. The motor that I have, the ones I got for free, is not quite enough torque to do the table reversing. If I slow the motor speed down to a crawl then the motor can do the job. I am still playing with various setting in the electronics to see if I can up the torque enough without loosing any speed. It is real close to being enough. Remember these motors are different, the peak torque is holding at 0 RPM and the torque drops as you get faster, Opposite of "normal" motors. I did drill and tap the mounting plate, while it was all set up in the milling machine, to be able to mount the next bigger size of motor if needed, so there is also that option still easily available. But that bigger motor option cost more money.

:mo money:

But at least we have table movement. That is a big step in the right direction.

Stepper-Mounted.jpg

Looking AWESOME brother!!! :thumbsup:

It makes me :cold: just thinking about the performance difference between hand filed White Washer nozzles compared to precision ground ones,,,, looks like we poor friends of Fool on the other side of the pond will find out :happy34:

Jeff,

Just a word of advice about those handles.

The retro fitted knee mills we have all come with fold up crank handles for safety.

At least remove the handle from the crank when in operation.

Even if the original has teeth or splines and a spring to disengage to spin free, they can move with considerable force when the installed motor starts.

Depending upon the height of the handle, it can be really painful.

Don't ask how I know.

Argo

@cowpuc

I guess you will know the answer to that in just a few short months.

Yesterday was the last time this year you will see a sunset after 8:00 pm, winter is coming.......:snow2::snow::snow2::snow::snow2:

WI White Washer.gif

@Argo

The handle spins on a pin that is pressed in and peened over into the wheel. I am not sure if I can or want to remove it. It might be easier to make a removable guard for the wheel.

The impact of the handle is something that I had not really given a lot of thought to. Now that you mentioned it, I will have to give it some more thought.

Winter never come to southern NC. I dare you to try hitting us.:Im not listening to:stickpoke::stirthepot::backinmyday:

WOWZY WOW WOW WOW,,, I'd be mighty careful with those kind of challenges when messing with Flyinfool my sweet brother.. I know of folks as far away as Southern Cal, Arizona, Washington (the State of), Florida, the entire eastern seaboard and all of Canada including British Columbia who ended up on the "bitter" end of Fool excepting challenges like that.. I will NEVER forget the time he got such a challenge from another southern gent down near Atlanta Georgia who :stickpoke:Fool in a similar way and to my recollect,, Fool and his Wisconsin White Washer stopped all traffic, shut down schools, closed airports and even almost canceled Christmas for millions of cute little southern kids with just a mere 5 inches of his special mix Wisconsin White Wash,,,, and all that was with hand filed nozzles....

Sadly,, due to your old buddy quoting you here,, the ability for you to delete your tempting post that I am sure will have Fool salivating thru his lips of blue has long since departed so your defensive options are narrowing down.. Being a very dear and close friend of yours and continually looking out for your best interests,,, you might want to consider selling a couple of your shooters and special ordering a snow shovel, snow blower (make sure you get at least an 8 horse/double stage blower), a snowmobile (so you can get groceries), a truck with a snowplow on it so you can plow your neighbors out and keep them happy (you don't seriously think their feelings toward you are gonna stay on the + side once they find out who is responsible for the WWW covering their environment do you?)..

I know,, right about now your probably thinking - I wonder if Fool would accept a simple begging for mercy... Thing about Fool brother Sly is the Ice in his veins and his sheer joy of producing powder.. Also his pitt-bull attitude about being challenged.. Matter of fact,, I highly suppose he is out pulling the nozzles on the WWW as I type and is fitting up a jig to them that will set on his Surface Grinder so he can produce a special precision ground nozzle just for your location so I highly doubt you will slow em down at this point...

My goodness Slyvester,,, what have you done:backinmyday:

I don't care...bring it on. I miss my winter frollicks back in Omaha. And I am retired with Generac standby power, two stocked freezers and four outdoor cookers. Plus a heated well pump. So there!:stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke:

And if Puc gets some of it, I am all the happier.:snow:

But I am sure this is what I will get (:rain2:).

:farmer: Slyvester

Hey Puc, thanks for getting me going. I would really like to see a winter for a change down here. I think that I have put my truck into 4wd once for snow since 2013, and that was due to wet grass on my farm. That year we had some snow but more than the locals can handle. I am very fine with Jeff machining his nozzles for a distance shot. Love the entertainment.:icon_lurker::icon_lurker::icon_lurker::stirthepot::rain2::250:

:farmer: