IGNORED

Well Dang It! Fuel Pump Issue?

I finally got around to bleeding my 07 RSV's clutch. That went well and it appears the clutch engages with less lever throw now. However, my plan to go for a ride was stopped when I had the bike running while warming up and it cut off and wouldn't start. I let it sit for a few minutes thinking maybe the engine is flooded because it was idling on full choke. After a few, when I hit start, the fuel pump slow clicking was a very fast clicking and it would start and run for a few seconds and cut off again. I assume this is a failure of the fuel pump points? Sound right? Dang it! The bike has 23k miles on it. Do the points fail that quickly usually?

I just looked at partzilla and I assume the points are inside the pump. Where can you buy the points separately? ebay?

Edited by BlueSky

I finally got around to bleeding my 07 RSV's clutch. That went well and it appears the clutch engages with less lever throw now. However, my plan to go for a ride was stopped when I had the bike running while warming up and it cut off and wouldn't start. I let it sit for a few minutes thinking maybe the engine is flooded because it was idling on full choke. After a few, when I hit start, the fuel pump slow clicking was a very fast clicking and it would start and run for a few seconds and cut off again. I assume this is a failure of the fuel pump points? Sound right? Dang it! The bike has 23k miles on it. Do the points fail that quickly usually?

I just looked at partzilla and I assume the points are inside the pump. Where can you buy the points separately? ebay?

Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Supply-Universal-Point-Switch-18-4615/dp/B0034ZMVKU/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=K-L-Supply-Universal-Fuel-Pump-Point-Switch-Kit-18-4615&qid=1554654586&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Or Ebay https: https://www.ebay.com/itm/K-L-Universal-Fuel-Pump-Point-Switch-Kit-18-4615-Kawasaki-Yamaha-Honda/392240662545?epid=171162134&hash=item5b535d8811:g:LNwAAOSwGelcaD3P

Minor Solder job needed. Suggest you use your phone to photo before and after close up of old and new point as I goofed the spring,,,, I think.

But this is likely the problem.

Mike G in SC

Boy I don't know Sky,, my experience with those contacts in the fuel pump has been one of when they fail - the clicking stops all together as its actually the contacts that are making er click.. I'd check and make sure I had a full tank of fuel, the tank vent was open and the filter wasnt plugged before I went diggin into the pump.. You aint got a rusty tank do you?

After checking those, maybe pull the outlet line off the pump and cycle the pump with the kill switch while watching/checking flow and listening for the contacts working

Thanks for the responses. Maybe I do need to do a little more checking. But, has anyone tried one of these pumps? They are advertised to fit the Venture.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FUEL-PUMP-FITS-YAMAHA-ROYAL-STAR-MIDNIGHT-VENTURE-1300-XVZ1300-2002-2007/271850120121?epid=561039002&hash=item3f4b87a3b9:g:EaoAAOSweW5VO8Wa:sc:USPSPriority!28409!US!-1

Thanks Mike G,

So the #18-4615 point set will fit an RSV? The RSV is not listed as one of the bikes that it will fit.

Update. I just started the bike a couple of times. The fuel pump is no longer clicking at all and the bike will start and run for a second or two. The tank is not rusty and I opened the tank and there was no vacuum on it and it's almost full. Sooo, I'm fairly certain the fuel pump points are the problem? Famous last words!

You can gravity feed, bypass the pump.

This works if you keep the gas filled above half tank.

I had to do it when a pump failed. I ran that way for a couple weeks till the dealer got me an OEM warranty pump.

(I did put a cheap in-line filter in the gas line as this bypasses the filter too.)

I posted here some time back, but here is same from a FB forum.

TO GRAVITY FEED: You can gravity feed pretty easy if you have a few tools (Wrench for seat bolt, needle nose pliers for clamps, Alen wrench for side cover bolt.). Takes 20 minutes. You may spill some fuel so careful there. You turn off the petcock. Remove the rider seat. Remove the rear tank bolt under the seat. Raise/pivot the tank at the rear an inch or two, Put a wedge so it stays up. Remove the left side cover. With a needle nose, pinch the gas line clamp and pull the line from the filter. Pass this end of the line over to the right side of the bike near the tank end. Then with needle nose pull the carb side gas line from the carbs single inlet (also on right end under the tank). Now connect the line from the petcock to the carb intake. You now have a straight line from the tank to the carbs for gravity feed. On the fuel pump side, pull the pump electrical connector so it will not try to puke out more fuel. Turn on petcock. Give it a try, see if it starts. If it was the pump it should. Drop the tank, put on seat, put on side cover. You can ride this way if you keep the tank over half full,,, indefinitely.

Thanks Mike G,

So the #18-4615 point set will fit an RSV? The RSV is not listed as one of the bikes that it will fit.

This is what fits... yep, same.

Mark Shields has a lot of experience with this. He has rebuilt several. He's on this forum, not sure what user name Mark goes by. Hey, Mark, got INFO?

Also, Mike Eykamp, EUSA1, Diamond Cut Guy, has done this. Mikey?

points for fuel pump.JPG

points2.JPG

Edited by Mike G in SC

I just took the side cover off exposing the fuel pump. When I went to re-install the bolts so I wouldn't lose them, I had to chuckle when I realized that one of the bolts is just for looks and is only bolted into the side cover. I ordered those points from ebay so I hope they fix the issue.

So I have a question for the electrical experts. Would a capacitor wired across the points keep the points from burning up while allowing them to power the pump? Flyinfool?????? If I remember correctly, that is why the old cars with point type ignition had a "condenser" wired across the points.

Edited by BlueSky

I just took the side cover off exposing the fuel pump. When I went to re-install the bolts so I wouldn't lose them, I had to chuckle when I realized that one of the bolts is just for looks and is only bolted into the side cover.

Remember that dummy bolt. If your shifter bolt ever falls out on the road, that one will do, till you replace that high dollar original. Found that out in 2007 near Carowinds.

Came across this earlier today thinking that this will happen someday.

https://www.denniskirk.com/all-balls/fuel-pump-rebuild-kit-47-2001.p1800376.prd/1800376.sku

Me too, what do you get? Says parts to fix the OEM pump? But plug and play?

I know the connector for the venture and the RSTD are different. Don’t see how it could fit both.

unless it has both.

Fuel filter is worth a check. They are a PIA to get at, so if your checking it out might as well just change it. I ran one like this 710wAjo3HzL._SY679_.jpg

Also I just went solid state with a Mr Gasket G 42 fuel pump. Never had to worry about it again.

With your gas tank full, bike should run without a fuel pump. Sounds like you may have a bad fuel filter or petcock is not on.

I'm embarassed to admit that you are correct and for the first time, sometime before this incident, I had turned the fuel valve to the off position. I turned the fuel on a few minutes ago an the pump clicked normally and it fired right up! I'm a big dummy! If the fuel pump clicks at high speed again, I suppose I might be able to remember the cause?

I usually ride my smaller Kawasaki around town and it has one of those vacuum operated fuel valves that shut off when the vacuum goes away so I never think about the fuel valve. Oh well, humbled again!

With your gas tank full, bike should run without a fuel pump. Sounds like you may have a bad fuel filter or petcock is not on.

Yeah, but you have to take the pump out of the gas line circuit for it to free flow, else the broke pump is acting like a shut off valve. (See above on gravity feed).

OH, I see he fixed it. Issue gone.

I'm embarassed to admit that you are correct and for the first time, sometime before this incident, I had turned the fuel valve to the off position. I turned the fuel on a few minutes ago an the pump clicked normally and it fired right up! I'm a big dummy! If the fuel pump clicks at high speed again, I suppose I might be able to remember the cause?

Had a friend 10+ years ago who put on our message board that his bike was dead, wouldn't start. He begged to borrow a trailer, but most of us knew his luck with "stuff". So someone lent him one, which he promptly got.

But he had to wait till the weekend to take the bike to the dealer. So when he hooked back the trailer and ran the bike up the trailer,,,, he forgot to lock down the trailer,, the nose went in the air and he fell over to the right side on the trailer rail and creased the hell out of the gas tank. So, after getting it "safely" loaded, took it to the dealer. Um,,, after all that and two weeks of being down,,, yep,,, same think,,, petcock was off. Dealer fixed it in the first minute.

Then he gets the tank repainted but the shop paints over the vent hole, so now he is plagued with gas expansion when he fills up. Listen,,, this goes on and on...…

Glad yours if "fixed", Blue Sky. Hard to say if you'll ever need the points so you got a head start. They tend to pit after 50K miles.

Mike G in SC

I've learned a lot too about RSV fuel pumps. I searched and read most if not all of the threads on RSV fuel pumps. I haven't ridden the RSV much yet and I'm not that familiar with it. Last year I was hindered by Shingles that caused a numb weak left knee. I hope to remedy that situation this year but my lower back is giving me fits lately. Sucks to be 75 sometimes. Hope to ride a little every non-rainy day from here on. Onwards and Upwards!

Dennis Kirk replies to my online question about this. They say it is in fact the entire replacement pump. For the price point it’s worth a shot or even throw it in the saddlebag for the day it’s needed.

Me too, what do you get? Says parts to fix the OEM pump? But plug and play?

I know the connector for the venture and the RSTD are different. Don’t see how it could fit both.

unless it has both.

Dennis Kirk replies to my online question about this. They say it is in fact the entire replacement pump. For the price point it’s worth a shot or even throw it in the saddlebag for the day it’s needed.

I suppose I have to wonder if this pump is any different from the one on ebay for half as much?