IGNORED

Ignition Switch question

Hi, Sorry to ask a dumb question if its already been answered but I have not found anything in my search. Am I correct that the Ignition switch on the 88 VR is attached with a pair of 10mm bolts? Or are they using some kind of one time safety lock kind of bolt? I just ordered a new lock set for my bike and need to pull the original one as I don't have a key for it. I have heard that it can be reached from under the fairing with a ratchet and a few extensions but I cant see the bolt and I don't have a mirror ( I really need to get one). Thanks in advance.

Yeah it was answered in my thread of need keys. I used a 11 inch extension up thru forks and cabled to get to mine. I had to pull it to have a key made for my bike. Its a pain to get bolts back there unless you have small hands. It is 10mm socket.

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

Awesome! Thanks Snyper, I figured it had been answered but then I kept finding things saying that there were security bolts being used. I was really hoping I didn't have to remove the upper fairing. Thanks for the answer. Cheers!!

Michael

Awesome! Thanks Snyper, I figured it had been answered but then I kept finding things saying that there were security bolts being used. I was really hoping I didn't have to remove the upper fairing. Thanks for the answer. Cheers!!

Michael

Yeah it was @Condor said something about using hex bolts to reinstall. It would give ya more control but maybe he has skinnier lankier arms then me.

I appreciate the response ya'll. I have a pile of parts coming and want to be ahead of the curve. New lock set, Carb Kits, Carb Slides, Fuel pump (just in case), Battery, new Allen head screws for the carbs (because the security heads suck), Oh and a new Carb Sync gauge set so I can tune this bike right :) So while waiting, I need to pull the old locks, drain the fuel tank and check it out, more cleaning, more cleaning, more cleaning.

Thanks for the info!!

I appreciate the response ya'll. I have a pile of parts coming and want to be ahead of the curve. New lock set, Carb Kits, Carb Slides, Fuel pump (just in case), Battery, new Allen head screws for the carbs (because the security heads suck), Oh and a new Carb Sync gauge set so I can tune this bike right :) So while waiting, I need to pull the old locks, drain the fuel tank and check it out, more cleaning, more cleaning, more cleaning.

Thanks for the info!!

Ok silly question... Did you lose the keys?

Nah, bought it that way. I got the bike from a man who bought it from an estate sale. and there were no keys. Paperwork was clean, so I bought it. everything was locked up and on first look it had no tank cover fuel door etc. I paid $200 for it and got it home and drilled the locks for the bags and trunk and I am starting the teardown on the carbs. When I opened the trunk and bags the rest of the bike was packed in there. so I have a complete bike. but it's been sitting for at least 5 years. carbs were frozen shut. Nastiest things I've worked on so far. So new kits and slides for them (I killed a slide getting it to break loose). I found the slides from a gentleman in SoCal for a really good price so I couldnt pass that up. I just spent about $400 on everything I needed to get her running today and need to get a few things ready for when those parts come in.

The safety bolts that have to be drilled out are on the second generation Ventures...

Actually, if you can find the lock number, you may be able to get a new key!

They had to do mine old school but 50 bux and I had two keys and saved me 50