IGNORED

What's your second favorite motorcycle?

luvmy40

The Beast is my all time favorite ride. Bar none, it's the most comfortable, road eating, powerful and stylish bike I have ever owned.

I also love the Yamaha XJ series bikes. I've owned the SECA 750 and the Maxim 750. I actually still own them. The SECA is a pile of parts today but the Maxim is still a good running little bike.

My son has claimed the Maxim as his own(I'm good with that), so I am on the hunt for a new second, short hop ride.

I love the look of the Triumph Bobber, it fits the bill perfectly. I haven't ridden one yet but I have many miles on semi customized Bonnies and liked them quite a bit. I assume the Bobber will be a nice ride.

The Yamaha Raider recently came up on my radar. It is a gorgeous and mean looking bike right off the factory line. It's a good bit bigger than I was really considering but beautiful none the less. Again, I haven't ridden one but I did get to sit on one and it does feel to be a comfortable ride for local hops and even day trips.

Yesterday, I saw the Yamaha Stryker. It is quite similar to the Raider with a 1300cc water cooled Vtwin as opposed to the 1900cc air cooled engine. I would imagine it is a little lighter if not slightly smaller than the Raider, but I could be wrong on that.

My quandary is a good one to have I suppose. Which bike do I go with? All are available on the pre owned market now, though the Bobbers seem to be a bit harder to find used. I'd guess that is simply due to them being the newer model of the 3. The fickle first timers and RUBs haven't had enough time to lose interest them yet.

Does anyone have any road time on any of these three? Opinions?

Thanks.

Edited by luvmy40

well so far been virago 920 and 750 early eightys. But that is because there here. Kid pays lic and insurance never rides them. So I fixed them up. Only thing starter is very bad design. There is a update but its around 350.00 Out of the two 750 is my favorite.

I hear ya 40,, soooo many scoots to choose from and, being only able to ride one at a time,, soooo hard to choose. I passed on a gorgeous 2012 Raider last year - had 3600 miles on it, some pretty cool xtra's and the guy wanted 4 for it.. Not feeling well and already having several scoots sitting around, I passed = and regret it to this day!! Always been a Chop lover and, IMHO - as far as Cookie Cutter OEM Chops = that Raider is numeral uno!!

Maggie (my R1) has really spoiled me in the "OHHHH MY GOSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" performance department and is the PERFECT bucket list scoot for performance obsessed lop eared varmints IMHO.. I have NEVER ridden her when I did not pull back in the driveway still shaken with Adrenaline pump and a HUGE smile on the mug BUT,, seriously,,, being a V-4 addict,, I am still to this day watching for that budget bucket big block V-Max = the 1700, not the 1200 = already done that. I know that's nuts cause Maggie, with her teeny little 1000cc inline 4 will blow past one of those new Maxes like it aint even on the same planet (been there) but,, Maggie aint a new big block V-Max :173:. Strange varmints we bike lovers can be cant we:missingtooth:?

I think a good ways above the V-Max though would be another 40's Indian Chief followed closely by another Flat Head HD (like Olivia) from that same era only this time a 74 inch UL.. Having crossed the country several times on long bike hand built Chops my absolute need to build another is somewhat fullfilled,, maybe... I do feel a urning to build another Sporty trike just for play,, decent Sporties are REAL cheap now (got a neighbor with an 08 with 8000 miles on it that offered it to me for 3500,, still considering that one = its the Red scoot in the vid below),, now if I could get my beat up ol worn out geezer body to agree that it's got one more build left in it:missingtooth:..

Good thread 40!!! I bid you all the best in trying to figure out what ya wanna do and how ya wanna get there.. I will say this in closing my friend,, dont under invest in the time ya have brother,, if you come up with something ya just gotta own = save your pennies and buy it cause in a blink,, your riding days will slow down as you slip into a whole new chapter of life in the fast lane :backinmyday:

Well, for me, I like my Honda Sabre 1100. Nice handling, good gas mileage. Put on over 70K miles without issues. Added extra gas tanks when I was touring out west with my BMW friends - now it has a range of about 350 miles.

zag

I hear you Vaz I picked up a 2002 650 Vstar for $700 back in October. I have never been on a Vtwin before well non Harley anyways. I love the sound of the sporties. I rode a road king last summer and it felt like something was a miss. Mind you it was running right. But it just felt weird. I loved the nighthawk but them 250s are like riding a revved push mower. Just my opinion. So that 650 will be my second favorite bike for just hopping on and cruising. The sons 450 Nighthawk is a pretty cool bike too. Enuff pep to run 100+ but still easy to put around town on. 1bdf6737f1da93fd1c4c0933104a928d.jpg47aecba1a3cb281d3d25960fc29916a4.jpg142b3ff98a231f70410988e268a5675a.jpg6abd36c0c6700b8eaa89ed8b1ee43b54.jpg

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

Of the bikes I've owned and want back, this would be top of the list.

1982 Midnight Maxim XJ 750 Touring with Yamaha faring and luggage.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115793

m

Funny you posted this. My maxim came to me with the Vetter Wind Jammer II fairing and a GK bag and trunk kit. Not nearly as sleek as the factory luggage but in the same vein. I took it back to stock and mounted thee fairing and bag kit on a Suzuki GS850. I've got pics of them somewhere but I can't seem to find them right now.

This is a tough question. I've seen this post up for a day or two now and I've tried to answer but I cant come up with anything. I'm really fond of the goldwings just because I grew up on the bike of one and have done many 1000+ mile trips on them by myself. Dad had a Kawasaki Mean Streak that i fell in love with. Wasn't that fast and definitely no where near as cozy as a venture but it really turned heads! My first street bike was a 99KZ 650 that we took to the new hampton rally. Got 50mpg on that bike going 55 through iowa in a group of goldwingers. But I cant come up with a second favorite. Every bike has just been tons of fun in its own way.

I agree. I've been watching this thread also and have given it much thought. I just don't think I can pick which one was my favorite. I've owned a LOT of motorcycles since I was about 14 years old. The first was a Super 90 Honda and first bikes always hold a special place in our hearts I think. I only rode it a short time before ceding it to my little brother and bought a 250 Harley Sprint. I think the stage of life we are in has as much to do with it as the bike itself. The Harley Sprint gave me a fair share of issues but most of them were self inflicted. I used that bike as a street bike, a hill climber, a motocross bike....basically, I beat the crap out of it. I pushed it more than once and it taught me a lot about working on my rides. It had a single fuse that was located in the headlight bucket. I learned that fuses are there for a reason and that if you blow one while riding deep in the woods, a brass screw and nut is really not a good substitute. My Dad helped me rewire after all the insulation melted off most of the wiring.

Those were magic times though. Nothing can duplicate the freedom, smiles, fun, that I enjoyed at 15 on that thing. So, while it was certainly not the very best bike I ever owned, I guess it's the one that brings me the most pleasant memories as I look back on life. After cracking the swingarm and welding it back together several times, the front sprocket bearing finally gave up after being put in a bind from the swingarm finally not be aligned perfectly. It was mostly in boxes when I sold it and bought a Honda CL350. I had many great adventures on the Honda also but I think that the old Sprint comes out slightly ahead in adventures.

45005_425949339389_5775384_n.jpg