IGNORED

please help, what would you do?

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol I have 3 are you just talking the housing?

I went ahead and removed the housing and the o ring was chewed up. I guess i put the incorrect size in. I fashioned a new o ring and then put some sealant on it, hopefully it will work.

Also, I have some good good news, the guy I bought this bike from has 2 other bikes which i believe are 87,88. They are torn down but he contacted me yesterday and told me he was tired of storing the parts and that i could come and get what i want for free !! So ......................

It is actually pretty common for the top of the T-stat housing to warp. Some have made up a brace out of steel to help spread the load. On mine I just milled the housing flat and put it back together with a new o-ring and it never did leak again.

Sounds like such a deal on the 2 parts bikes, I would beat feet over there before he changes his mind.

The leak on that elbow is from the bike having been laid down on the right side. The engine guard mounting point will flex back far enough to puncture the elbow. I ground the corner off of my engine guard to give more clearance and sprayed some "Chrome" paint on the edge to prevent rust. For the elbow I scuffed it up real good and repaired the hole with JB Weld and then painted it to about the right color.

IF you are lucky the ones on those parts bikes will not have the same hole in them.

The leak on that elbow is from the bike having been laid down on the right side. The engine guard mounting point will flex back far enough to puncture the elbow. I ground the corner off of my engine guard to give more clearance and sprayed some "Chrome" paint on the edge to prevent rust. For the elbow I scuffed it up real good and repaired the hole with JB Weld and then painted it to about the right color.

IF you are lucky the ones on those parts bikes will not have the same hole in them.

Okay, I just found out the the parts bike is an 86, will some parts on that work on my 83, for instance i am needing the air suspension console unit.

If you have an 86 that you plan on keeping as a parts bike. Move all the stuff that is needed to put the entire headlight assembly on your 1st gen. This is a big drawback on the early 1st gens and the later headlight is much better. That was another improvement I made on my 83.

Rand

I agree 100% on this after riding both my 83 and 87 at night, There is a huge difference in my opinion. Can't wait to get the LED light in the 87 also!

Well, the parts bike was stripped when I got there. Good news I did get a windshield, calipers, air suspension controller ( just putting on for looks), complete plastics same color, I just now noticed that the trunk on my bike is not stock. Would not have noticed if I didn't get a trunk while up there, I prefer the smaller stock trunk. I also picked a nice seat. Anyway, all was free so it was well worth the drive!! Oh, I also picked a vmax final drive since he had some vmax parts there.

Holy moly!! I just started the bike after it sat for a few days, right after I hit the starter button I heard a loud thump !! Didn't sound good at all! I waited a minute and started it again and it started no problem and no loud sound. If it threw a rod, could it still run?

mmmmm...........now I'm reading it could be starter clutch.

Edited by made2care

How were the front forks on the parts bike? I don't remember if you've replaced them but the MkIIs have bigger brakes.

Actually, the parts I picked were off an 83 so I'm good.

Also , back to the loud noise I heard on startup, I'm not hearing it anymore, so I'm hoping the starter clutch will hang in there!

So...................I was pretty excited to get the bike out today for its first ride. Put her on the center stand and attempted to check gears, she died when put in gear. I look down below the side stand and there is no switch. Just overlooked it and don't remember the bike having one. used one on the way.

Look at your screen on the dash, if the side stand icon is lit up then you have to do something with the switch. If it is not lit then some one already bypassed it and your issue lies elsewhere.

There are 3 wires that go to the side stand switch, to bypass the switch you connect all 3 wires together and it will always show as side stand up. It is NOT recommended to do this other than trouble shooting or an emergency patch to get you home.

Look at your screen on the dash, if the side stand icon is lit up then you have to do something with the switch. If it is not lit then some one already bypassed it and your issue lies elsewhere.

There are 3 wires that go to the side stand switch, to bypass the switch you connect all 3 wires together and it will always show as side stand up. It is NOT recommended to do this other than trouble shooting or an emergency patch to get you home.

The side stand icon is lit and there is no side stand switch connected to the bottom of the frame by the side stand. I have 2 wires going into the clutch lever, is that coming from the side stand switch? I found the 3 wires by the sidestand itself, do i connect all 3 and also the 2 up by the clutch lever? I have ordered a side stand switch that fits on the frame .

Okay, I figured it out!! Tied 3 wires together and she runs fun. I will also say this. I for the first time just took this bike out on the road and OMG, this is an amazing machine!!!!!!!! After all my hard work, I finally got this ride this bike and she handled perfect. My gears shift through nicely and very powerful !!!

Edited by made2care

I am beyond excited!!! The feeling of resurrecting a bike that had so many issues and finally getting her on the road is an amazing feeling that is hard to match!!!

Now, I still have alot left, there are no plastics on her. I have one front brake working but barely!! My rear master cylinder still does not work , even after a rebuild so a new aftermarket is on the way !! I also need to fix a small leak in clutch line and coolant elbow. I ordered a fuse box upgrade kit from skydoc and will get that this week! Also, a sidestand switch must be installed

For the most part, she is on the road.

Seriously guys, this is a first for me and I still can't believe I did it , with your help of course. Man !!!!! This bike is so effortlessly powerful and handles beautifully!!!

I will get a little video together of me riding it!!

Chow for now !!

I know this has been a rather long adventure, and I must say that you are doing good. With all you have done, you are going to have a fun bike that will be a great performer. I put 150,000 miles on my 83 and it was a really big part of my life for a long time. If I had known how dedicated you were going to be with this project, I wish I had sold you mine. Mine is still sitting on the carport covered up.

I do suggest you put some highway miles on the stock final drive so when you do put the VMax drive on, you will be able to tell the difference. Then, you will really get to enjoy that "Hang on for dear life" feeling as you are screaming up through the gears.

Randy

I know this has been a rather long adventure, and I must say that you are doing good. With all you have done, you are going to have a fun bike that will be a great performer. I put 150,000 miles on my 83 and it was a really big part of my life for a long time. If I had known how dedicated you were going to be with this project, I wish I had sold you mine. Mine is still sitting on the carport covered up.

I do suggest you put some highway miles on the stock final drive so when you do put the VMax drive on, you will be able to tell the difference. Then, you will really get to enjoy that "Hang on for dear life" feeling as you are screaming up through the gears.

Randy

Thank you. I am looking forward to completing and going on a trip :) Then converting that final drive! Thanks again for all your help sir. Much appreciated! Where is Cowpuc? I have to say thank you to him too and others I might have forgotten.

The side stand icon is lit and there is no side stand switch connected to the bottom of the frame by the side stand. I have 2 wires going into the clutch lever, is that coming from the side stand switch? I found the 3 wires by the sidestand itself, do i connect all 3 and also the 2 up by the clutch lever? I have ordered a side stand switch that fits on the frame .

Okay, I figured it out!! Tied 3 wires together and she runs fun. I will also say this. I for the first time just took this bike out on the road and OMG, this is an amazing machine!!!!!!!! After all my hard work, I finally got this ride this bike and she handled perfect. My gears shift through nicely and very powerful !!!

Very glad that you finally got to throw a leg over her and let her rip. That 36 year old bike will still surprise a lot of modern bikes. She loves loud V twins as a snack. You will also find that she is very capable of lifting the front wheel off the ground, even with all her weight and the rider leaning forward, so be ready for that surprise.:bikersmilie:

There should be 4 wires into the clutch switch, 2 of them are to disengage the cruise control and the other 2 are part of a safety circuit that will not let you crank the engine if the bike is not in neutral unless the clutch is pulled in. If you do not have cruise on your bike then you will only have the other 2 wires.

Awesome Tim

I will be starting the rebuild of my 84 this fall and can't wait to hear it purr this spring.

have you had any more smoke from the engine covers?

If No like i said it is common that grease and oil residue will burn off a freshly rebuilt motor even with just a gasket set change.

Nice job overall and fun time following along with the restore.

HermanK84VR

Awesome Tim

I will be starting the rebuild of my 84 this fall and can't wait to hear it purr this spring.

have you had any more smoke from the engine covers?

If No like i said it is common that grease and oil residue will burn off a freshly rebuilt motor even with just a gasket set change.

Nice job overall and fun time following along with the restore.

HermanK84VR

No more smoke but I have had quite a bit of smoke from right tailpipe , although it seems to be diminishing now! I can't wait to get the plastics on, its amazing how these can buff right up using a compound to look brand new. The po removed all the handles and did a permanent mount of sorts, so I'm going to try to get those back to stock. I also mentioned earlier that the trunk was not stock and much bigger, so i will change that too. Prefer the look of the smaller trunk. anyway, lots left to do but the tough part is over, she finally rides again !!!