IGNORED

please help, what would you do?

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice project you have there, bummer on the broken frame, but certainly not a show stopper. There's a lot of good advice written already, and nothing I could add that hasn't already been said. For me it's about the wrenching, about taking something someone else would scrap or part out and making it like new, actually maybe a little better than new if possible. Riding is just icing on the cake, the real thrill is knowing you built it yourself with your own hands and sweat. The money well that's just the price of having fun. Either way, it's your decision on how to proceed, either keep grinding away on this one or start looking for a better one that needs less love and attention. If you decide to keep it this might be an option for a frame. Not saying go out and buy it but something to consider since you are limited on time for traveling. Hope this helps.......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/83-84-85-Yamaha-Venture-XVZ-1200-Main-Frame-Royale-Paperwork-Michigan/223041735760?epid=2282458749&hash=item33ee52cc50:g:hu0AAOSwjdpbOhFy

Thank you again for finding this ! What a steal !

I see somebody did the MK2 passenger floorboard mod on your bike! Stock for MK1 is just pegs...

Also, those chrome covers at the end of the engine are aftermarket!

PS what is that strange tail light on the fender?? Definitely not stock!

I'm not familiar with this bikes stock design just yet but those lights did seem a little odd and I think they are on the back of the saddlebags too. MMMMMMMMMMM.............

Found this https://ksu.craigslist.org/mcy/d/waterville-yamaha-venture-royal/6837357127.html

says 24,000 and looks like it was wrecked. How do i know if its 24,000 , could be 124,000. within driving distance . if its 24000 , frame is probably good, engine and 2nd gear too.

Thoughts?

If you can get a vin, one of our members Prariehammer can look up and get you the year of scoot. You may have same issues with frame and trannie.

Good find on the frame

Edited by videoarizona
Add

Made2care,

This may have been said already.

Keep in mind the issue with the '83 frames is internal and will not be visible until it's too late. I'd weld the reinforcements on the "new" frame before putting her back together.

I'm waiting with trepidation for the day my frame breaks. I ride in inclement weather so it is only a matter of time from what I've been told.

And again, I hope you don't run into any issues transferring an out of state title with a non matching numbered engine.

Edited by luvmy40

Made2care,

This may have been said already.

Keep in mind the issue with the '83 frames is internal and will not be visible until it's too late. I'd weld the reinforcements on the "new" frame before putting her back together.

I'm waiting with trepidation for the day my frame breaks. I ride in inclement whether so it is only a matter of time from I've been told.

And again, I hope you don't run into any issues transferring an out of state title with a non matching numbered engine.

Yes, I will definitely reinforce the frame being mindful of muffler clearance and such. As far as titling the bike, no problem in this state. Thanks for all the concern too. This forum is for sure a second family and I've only just begun !

Hi Made2Care

Great find on the Bike and Donor Frame! By the looks of your 3 completed restores , Like me , you enjoy wrenching as much as you do riding beautiful job on all 3, I noticed on the GL1100 you replaced the 4 carbs with a single VW carb and Manifold, VTC Motors?? I did the same upgrade to my 84 Virago 500 with a Mikuni VM34 , best conversion I did, FYI, VTC motors also has a 4 to 1 Manifold for the Venture along with the VW pict 34 Carb (new).

I just got my 84 Royale Blonde/gold before Christmas, and it came with a complete 84 torndown venture as a parts bike that only has the 2nd gear issue.

I plan on fixing the donor bike to sell to recover some costs.

There is a wealth of info and Experience on this forum I have spent many hours reading thru the tech tips , upgrades & fixes. A big shout out to the many members who contribute on a regular basis to the site Especially Cowpuc for his technical contribution.

Fortunately mine just needs a good Carb overhaul to getting riding this year, the fun will be this fall stripping it down to do a full restore/upgrade.

I will check back on your progress of your rebuild so keep us all updated, Good luck Brother keep it Fun!

Hermank84VR

Hi Made2Care

Great find on the Bike and Donor Frame! By the looks of your 3 completed restores , Like me , you enjoy wrenching as much as you do riding beautiful job on all 3, I noticed on the GL1100 you replaced the 4 carbs with a single VW carb and Manifold, VTC Motors?? I did the same upgrade to my 84 Virago 500 with a Mikuni VM34 , best conversion I did, FYI, VTC motors also has a 4 to 1 Manifold for the Venture along with the VW pict 34 Carb (new).

I just got my 84 Royale Blonde/gold before Christmas, and it came with a complete 84 torndown venture as a parts bike that only has the 2nd gear issue.

I plan on fixing the donor bike to sell to recover some costs.

There is a wealth of info and Experience on this forum I have spent many hours reading thru the tech tips , upgrades & fixes. A big shout out to the many members who contribute on a regular basis to the site Especially Cowpuc for his technical contribution.

Fortunately mine just needs a good Carb overhaul to getting riding this year, the fun will be this fall stripping it down to do a full restore/upgrade.

I will check back on your progress of your rebuild so keep us all updated, Good luck Brother keep it Fun!

Hermank84VR

Thanks man ! Yes, I spend more time wrenching than riding for sure. I sill have the gl 1100 and was the only bike I had professionally painted, way too expensive! But came out beautiful. I just sold the Yamaha 180 a few days ago to make room for this one. Hate to see it go but the proud new owner was beside himself. This build is going to be interesting and I've found the right forum for sure. Will keep everyone up to speed throughout the build. Good luck with yours too.

That frame was the score of the month. Pardon my being distracted, but that's your shop ?? WOW. I'm used to dim light, excess moisture and oppressive clutter. What an awesome setup you have there. You are not going to have any issues doing whatever you need to, as you get your ride back together.

That frame was the score of the month. Pardon my being distracted, but that's your shop ?? WOW. I'm used to dim light, excess moisture and oppressive clutter. What an awesome setup you have there. You are not going to have any issues doing whatever you need to, as you get your ride back together.

Absolutely. Hope it's solid but will reinforce anyway. Must have adequate lighting. Will eventually switch to LED's.

image.jpg

I just moved into a new house and had to install lights in my garage / shop. I picked up a set of 6 T5 Led lights off of Amazon for less than $50 and OMG they are bright!!! They are made by a company called Barrina. I would leave a link below, but I am too new to the group. Go on Amazon, and run a search on Barrina T5 LED and they will come up. I got the one at the top of the list, the 6500K ones for $48.99. If you need lights, these are the ones to get. And they are easy to setup. I had mine installed in about an hour.

Sorry I didn't mean to jack your thread, I just had to comment since someone was talking about garage lights. Cheers

Mike

That sounds like a fair deal but I recently bought some new ones for buy small shop so wanted to mention them also. These are only 5000 LUMENS but I can tell you that they are very bright. 4 ft. I had dual tube fluorescents in my shop and they were always bad but even worse in the winter when I don't heat my shop unless I'm in it. If they ever came on at all, they flickered and were too dim to be any good.

So, I order 5 of these from Harbor Freight. I paid $24.99 each for them and they often go on sale for that price. Regular price is $29.99 each. After putting up two of them, I almost didn't put up the others. Two of these were MUCH brighter than the 4 double tube fluorescents even on a warm day. I ended up putting up four though and couldn't be happier. I have them all connected together and going to my on/off switch at the door. The come with 110v plugs but I just cut them off and connected them together. Each does have a pull chain so you can turn some off if you wish to.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-ft-led-hanging-shop-light-64410.html

That sounds like a fair deal but I recently bought some new ones for buy small shop so wanted to mention them also. These are only 5000 LUMENS but I can tell you that they are very bright. 4 ft. I had dual tube fluorescents in my shop and they were always bad but even worse in the winter when I don't heat my shop unless I'm in it. If they ever came on at all, they flickered and were too dim to be any good.

So, I order 5 of these from Harbor Freight. I paid $24.99 each for them and they often go on sale for that price. Regular price is $29.99 each. After putting up two of them, I almost didn't put up the others. Two of these were MUCH brighter than the 4 double tube fluorescents even on a warm day. I ended up putting up four though and couldn't be happier. I have them all connected together and going to my on/off switch at the door. The come with 110v plugs but I just cut them off and connected them together. Each does have a pull chain so you can turn some off if you wish to.

Sounds like all of us are on the same track here:clap2::dancefool::thumbsup2:!! Tip and I are avid Menards "Rebaters", our Sunday mornings after church are spent on our weekly "Rebate Dates" (sooo much fun!!!) and a few weeks ago Menards had 5000 lumeners on sale after rebate for 10 bucks, only allowed 6 though. I also notice that Harbor had some on sale also for 10 bucks but they were the 3500 lumeners.. We stopped on the way home on our Rebate Date and grabbed 4 of those (coupon limit) too. I LOVE LED lighting and have, over time converted our house over (except for the basement - ohhhh that basement.....) to all LED lighting,, VERY affordable even if replacing 65 watt recessed lighting if ya shop the bargins. GOOD STUFF MAYNARD!!

Now all we need is some WARM weather to be able to hang the dad gum things in the garage!!! :hurts:

Sorry for the :hijacked: Maddy,,, getting to happen wayy to often by yours truly,,, sorry bout that..

There's enough wiring to reach the moon and back ! Tagged and took lots of pics!

:clap2::clap2::thumbsup2:!!

I redid one of Honda's first attempts at an EFI Wing years ago,, thinking it was like an 85ish Wing.. Wayyy cool scoot with ALL the fixings.. When I got the tupperware off it and looked at the 3 inch wide wire harness running down it's backbone I had a very similar response to yours here,,, I yelped out = things not bike,, its The Space Shuttle!!!:Laugh:

Come to find out brother,,, tweekin on these things REALLY is Rocket Science :Laugh:

LOVE YOUR THREAD HERE and TOTALLY ROOTIN FOR YOUR BUILD!!:thumbsup2:

My flourescent garage lights were also a pain, not knowing if they would come on or not. One day, I was in Costco and saw they had LED replacements for the 4' flourescent bulbs. So, i replaced the 4 bulbs with LEDs and couldn't be happier. they are brighter and always come on instantly.

I've watched the video on how to remove the engine. I'm not quite there yet but thinking ahead. I don't want to purchase a hoist and the video shows just using the center stand to set the bike up, then sliding a floor jack underneath. This bike is missing a center stand and the makeshift jack I had made year ago will not work since it rests on the bike frame segment that must come off( right side) to slide engine out. I'm thinking to just get a center stand but maybe that's not the best route since the frame attached to the center stand housing is cracked.

thoughts??

IMG_2895.jpg

I've watched the video on how to remove the engine. I'm not quite there yet but thinking ahead. I don't want to purchase a hoist and the video shows just using the center stand to set the bike up, then sliding a floor jack underneath. This bike is missing a center stand and the makeshift jack I had made year ago will not work since it rests on the bike frame segment that must come off( right side) to slide engine out. I'm thinking to just get a center stand but maybe that's not the best route since the frame attached to the center stand housing is cracked.

thoughts??

I know I am a lop eared junk yardin hack of a varmint but if it was mine and knowing that I had to completely dismantle and start from scratch anyway, I would probably just support the under carriage of the motor so there was no way it could tip over as I was doing what I am about to explain,,, then I would get out my Saws All make the cuts in the destroyed frame so could just lift it off the motor.. Do it right, cut the neck and roll the front end over in the corner, pull the subframe and tank, cut the frame in front of the rear end and pull the drive shaft out of the middle gear and roll it to another corner, lift the back bone up and toss it in the scrap bin and have a gorgeous V-4 sitting on frame rails staring me the face just waiting to be remounted in its new home.. :missingtooth:

If the frame is toast I'd block up the engine and cut the frame away from it.

:scared:,, two lop eared junk yardin varmints in the same location at the same time Corporal... Only one of them types faster than the other!! :big-grin-emoticon:

Gotta say though,,, if my left hand was still functional I think I coulda gave you a run for your money!! :missingtooth::stirthepot::witch_brew::hihi: