IGNORED

Lets talk about Geezer teeth,,, to partial or not to partial?

cowpuc

I can't be the only one of us lop eared varmints who have/are dealing with this. After loosing several crowns over the past few years I ended up with no chew surface (molars) on the bottom right and upper left. My dentist is hooking me up with partials for both area's to restore proper chewing. What do think gang,, are partials worth it or are complete Dentures the way to go? I know I go complete for wayyyy cheaper BUT,, as in lots of things,, I am sure there are times when putting your money where your mouth is ends up being the right way to go...

Thoughts?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They are Expensive with a capital E but implants would be best I think. I've been lucky with my teeth so far but my wife has had a couple of implants. The price may be coming down. I see ads on tv all the time about them. Or go to Guatemala. My wife has a friend who went there for implants because they were so much cheaper and the dentist was great. I think he makes most of his money on foreigners.

Or go to Guatemala. My wife has a friend who went there for implants because they were so much cheaper and the dentist was great. I think he makes most of his money on foreigners.
Right, or Mexico might be easier. I had a couple of root canals done when I was in Puerto Vallarta last November. Cost about $600 compared to the $3000 my Canadian dentist wanted.

Cowpuc, take a quick trip across the border before the Pres gets his wall built to keep you in. :duck:

I've had a partial covering 2 missing lower teeth on one side, and one missing on the other for 15 years. Pain in the A**. After every time I eat, I have to take out and rinse the food off. So, last November I started the process of getting Implants. 3 of them. I am currently waiting for the posts to finish the healing process, jaw bones growing back around the implants. I had to have my jaw bones rebuilt first. Long story short, I'm 9k into this process, plan to spend 3k more on crowns.

Back to your question, I would take partials every day over complete dentures. Don't pull any teeth that are still good just for dentures, you'll regret it. The thought of having food get under and behind the whole gumline is not what I hope to have. BUT, if there is ANY way to swing at least one side for implants, I would do it. As you age, and if you have to go to a place later down the road to help you with everyday life (ie assisted living) partials and dentures are misplaced and pitched daily. Then it's nothing but soft food. Had to deal with that with my dad.

IMG_0414a.JPG

Edited by SpencerPJ

Right, or Mexico might be easier. I had a couple of root canals done when I was in Puerto Vallarta last November. Cost about $600 compared to the $3000 my Canadian dentist wanted.

Cowpuc, take a quick trip across the border before the Pres gets his wall built to keep you in. :duck:

THAT IS AWESOME CAMMY!! I love saving :mo money:!! I have a dental appointment next week for a filling and then to be fitted for the partials. With all this GREAT input (THANK YOU GANG!!) about implants, I may just get the filling done and pass on the partial fitment for a while and get some quotes on implants. If nothing else, maybe just do my lower right where even a couple implants would give me some chew power..

Now you KNOW I gotta respond to the President Trump and "his" wall comment :Laugh:. 1st, IMH :usa:O, it is not his wall, it is OUR wall, America's wall to keep out those who choose to violate our country's laws by coming here illegally,. It does intrigue me that, as a Canadian you can not see that the action we Americans are choosing to take by building our wall not only protects our sovereign nation but also protects your home land. Perhaps Canada should chip in on the costs associated with the build OR fully fund an unguarded bridge over America for those who choose to not go thru the legal process of becoming real Americans so they have the ability to come, with their drugs and gangs and set up residency in Canada!:thumbsup:

You could start a Canadian "Go Fund Me" thing today that would be used to give those illegals free plane rides from Mexico to Canada as a start to the process Cammy. Perhaps "Cammy the Canadians Free Ride Plan" would end up creating such a vacancy of illegals crossing into America that we :usa:'s would not have to build our wall!!:cool10::big-grin-emoticon:

Gee and I thought it was robbery because next week I go in for a root canal and crown for just under $900 out the door.

My boss has recently gotten several implants, He said for the most part they are great, but the one thing the dentist never mentions is that the tooth on that implant is slightly above the gum line and you do and will get food particles stuck between the tooth and the gum, it is hard to get them out, its not like you can take the tooth out to clean under it. When the tooth is screwed to the implant they use a non toxic form of red Loctite.

Just something to ask about while you are getting quotes.

Gee and I thought it was robbery because next week I go in for a root canal and crown for just under $900 out the door. How you do that? That is AWESOME!!

My boss has recently gotten several implants, He said for the most part they are great, but the one thing the dentist never mentions is that the tooth on that implant is slightly above the gum line and you do and will get food particles stuck between the tooth and the gum, it is hard to get them out, its not like you can take the tooth out to clean under it. When the tooth is screwed to the implant they use a non toxic form of red Loctite. GOOD POINT JEFF, THANKS!!

Just something to ask about while you are getting quotes.

I will definitely ask!!

But how does one KNOW who the good dentists are. You hear a lot of horror stories.

My wife is having a lot of problems right now, due to a dentist who hasn't been as diligent over the past 25 years as we thought he was. She's had to have two extractions & two root canals since late December with more work to come. Root canals were just over $1000 each, extractions were $900 each. We've spent over $4000 & of course our extended health insurance ($5000/ year) covered only a very small part of the first extraction the rest was down to us!

But here in :canada: as everyone knows..... we get FREE healthcare! Yeah! Right! :stirthepot:

I can't be the only one of us lop eared varmints who have/are dealing with this. After loosing several crowns over the past few years I ended up with no chew surface (molars) on the bottom right and upper left. My dentist is hooking me up with partials for both area's to restore proper chewing. What do think gang,, are partials worth it or are complete Dentures the way to go? I know I go complete for wayyyy cheaper BUT,, as in lots of things,, I am sure there are times when putting your money where your mouth is ends up being the right way to go...

Thoughts?

Hey Puc! to try to help with your decision, we were talking recently about my wife's options with our new dentist. He showed us some partials for where she's had extractions, but said a lot of people can't get on with them. They also (so he said) get food stuck around them & can be a bit of a nuisance. He recommended implants but of course that's more expensive. Whatever you choose, hope it works for you. Good luck!

But how does one KNOW who the good dentists are.

Ask the smartest man on the Planet, Google :happy34:

Reviews are great, if someone has 100 reviews and 90 of them are good, I'm good with that. I've had the same Dentist for 30 years, super great guy. A tad pricey, but I have to kids, 23 and 20 and neither has a single cavity.

Ask the smartest man on the Planet, Google :happy34:

My wife's old dentist had great reviews, we even gave him one. BUT what most people won't know is if he was doing a good job, or merely covering up problems that would surface later, as they have done in my wife's case.

I'm kinda going through a similar situation, by proxy.

I'm the legal guardian for one of my brothers, he's soon to be 60, mildly autistic, mild schizophrenia. He does just fine in that he needs minimal care....He lives in an apartment that I built onto the garage, we make sure he either joins us for dinner, or I'll bring him something....freezer and cabinets always have a couple weeks worth of food, he can use the microwave so it's not that much trouble to care for him.

Thing is that at his last dental checkup the dentist said it's time to think about pulling his remaining teeth and getting him dentures. He's on SSI as his only income, and we've been able to save a good chunk of it for just such a rainy day. He has no dental insurance so it'll be paid for with his savings, but this stuff is PRICEY. Dentist said we'll be looking at 8-10K for dental work and dentures. He suggested the "Post?" type if we can afford it, or standard dentures if we want to save $$$.

Anyone have any opinions on which way to go with this?

Now you KNOW I gotta respond to the President Trump and "his" wall comment :Laugh:. 1st, IMH :usa:O, it is not his wall, it is OUR wall, America's wall to keep out those who choose to violate our country's laws by coming here illegally,. It does intrigue me that, as a Canadian you can not see that the action we Americans are choosing to take by building our wall not only protects our sovereign nation but also protects your home land.
I knew you couldn't pass it up but....

Whoa, don't lump me in with the Loopy Left. You absolutely need as much wall as you can get because without it immigration policy inadequacies cannot be adequately addressed. I say it is President Trumps wall because it will be his gift to you all after 30 years of indecision and the bipartisan failure of both parties to deal with the issues involved. Looks to me that it is the President against the DC swamp. That's a tough row to hoe and he is likely the only one who will actually get it done. I wish you all luck with it.

Regarding getting dental work done in Mexico, I have heard some horror stories but way more good stories. I went to Dentoamerica in Puerto Vallarta and they were very good but I don't know if they are located in other cities. My gal pal's sister was living in Phoenix and got some work done across the border not too far from there. Don't know the details but could inquire if you think you might be interested.

Google is once again your friend with this. If I remember correctly, a titanium implant cost about $1700. Anyway, I gotta get two of them when I go back there, or wherever it is I decide to go.

My wife's old dentist had great reviews, we even gave him one. BUT what most people won't know is if he was doing a good job, or merely covering up problems that would surface later, as they have done in my wife's case.
That's pretty much what I found out when I got some work done last year. I am convinced one of the root canals that I needed was due to an abscess which was the result of a botched filling and then the second one was caused by the first one. He, of course got pissy when I brought it up. Anyway, what I saved more than payed for my three weeks in Puerto Vallarta.

There were a few of us gringos in the office and most of them had a similar story of thinking their home dentist was a good one until they got the new assessment of their dental health. Kinda shocking.

FWIW, I'm on my 3rd set of full dentures. Had all my teeth yanked when I was 22 and replaced with upper and lower dentures. The first set lasted me about 10 years but I had a lot of trouble with them as they were the first set and your gums shrink a lot initially ... should have had them replaced after 5 years. The second set lasted me roughly 25 years. Ones I have now I got around 2010 so 9 years now.

Biggest problem I have with them is little hard things getting between the denture and the gum mostly on the bottom ... things like a speck of pepper or anything small and hard ... man that can hurt so I usually have to get to the bathroom and rinse that out. After almost every meal or eating something I will have to pop the dentures out and rinse them off ... things like bread seem to stick ... toffee??? OMG! but I can't resist it LOL

What I like about them is I can eat anything including ICE ... apples - no problem, corn on the cob - no problem, you name it, I can eat it (ok leave the joking out of this lol)

If I'd had the money along the way, I might have gone for implants.

My wife's friend who went to Guatemala for implants lives in Jacksonville FL. If you like I will find out who the dentist was and his address. There is such a difference in price that it makes the trip worthwhile. But, I do see these "Clear Choice" ads on tv. Perhaps they provide implants for much less than your local dentist.

WOW!! I thought I was the only one who's teeth that have gone to hell in a hand basket... Very timely subject Puc. My uppers are toast. The bottoms are OK, just a couple of molars that had root canals and then went bad after ten years or so.... So anyone thinking about a root canal...they don't last, and if you're going to fork over the cash you might as well get it done by getting implants. You will anyway later.... For some reason the uppers are a train wreck. They are disintegrating. I have some that have broken off below the gum line, and other where half the tooth cracked off. I had one bicuspid on the right side that got so loose I pulled it myself and saved $350 bucks for my dentist to do it. It was so loose the damn thing almost fell out...

On the the Mexican implants. I've been looking at getting inplants for 6 months now. I came across a local dentist that does mini implants, which is basically dentures anchored with about 4 posts instead of trying to keep them from popping out when they are free floated?? I thought about talking to them to see about the cost, but the question does come up as to food particles getting under the denture?? There are lots of referal websites on having implants done south of the boarder and depending on the cost I may go that way.... Por Que no? It seems that there are quite a few dentistry websites....

My one nagging problem is how much longer am I going to be around, and would it be worth getting a new set of chompers :mo money:

@cowpuc,

If you go with the dentures....regardless of partial or full...know that you NEED to WEAR them! If not, your gums and mouth will change and in no time, the dentures won't fit right. Your mouth changes anyway when teeth are not around for support....but if you take the dentures out cause they are not comfortable, that's when the problems of fit really show themselves!

MY Mom-in-law can't stand them and she has had nothing but problems with them now for 3 years...multiple fittings...it doesn't matter. They just don't work for her cause she won't wear them all the time...She's not a happy camper when she eats.

Hijack time:

BTW, mom-in-law turned 100 yesterday. Her birthday present is she wants to skydive!! She said if she doesn't land quite right, it's OK! Great attitude.

We have reservations at the internationally known Skydive Arizona in Eloy for this Saturday at 11 am. If it isn't raining, 3 generations will be jumping. Grandma, my wife and our daughter! Crossing fingies the plane makes it up there ok and the jumps go well!

As for me...after 50 plus years of hanging out of airplanes, helicopters, sitting on the edge of the Grand Canyon and over the edges and roofs of buildings to "get the shot" (film and video)...I now find myself scared silly of heights. Strange...but just climbing the ladder to the roof gives me the willies. So no...I'm not going with them.

Continued :hijacked:

Happy BD to grandma.

When My grandmother reached 100 her one word of advise was, "You do NOT want to live to 100, it sucks" She made it to 103.

As for anyone thinking they are strong enough to pry my butt out of a perfectly good airplane, It aint happening. Now if the engine is out, and the fuel tanks are on fire, and a wing is broken, yea gimme the chute, you will be right behind me.

Now if I should live to 100, I might consider jumping, got nuttin much to loose at that point.

cowpuc,

If you go with the dentures....regardless of partial or full...know that you NEED to WEAR them! If not, your gums and mouth will change and in no time, the dentures won't fit right. Your mouth changes anyway when teeth are not around for support....but if you take the dentures out cause they are not comfortable, that's when the problems of fit really show themselves!

MY Mom-in-law can't stand them and she has had nothing but problems with them now for 3 years...multiple fittings...it doesn't matter. They just don't work for her cause she won't wear them all the time...She's not a happy camper when she eats.

Hijack time:

BTW, mom-in-law turned 100 yesterday. Her birthday present is she wants to skydive!! She said if she doesn't land quite right, it's OK! Great attitude.

We have reservations at the internationally known Skydive Arizona in Eloy for this Saturday at 11 am. If it isn't raining, 3 generations will be jumping. Grandma, my wife and our daughter! Crossing fingies the plane makes it up there ok and the jumps go well!

As for me...after 50 plus years of hanging out of airplanes, helicopters, sitting on the edge of the Grand Canyon and over the edges and roofs of buildings to "get the shot" (film and video)...I now find myself scared silly of heights. Strange...but just climbing the ladder to the roof gives me the willies. So no...I'm not going with them.

PRAYERS UP,, wish I was there,,, I would do that quicker than you could say "YIKESSSSSSS" as you jump from the bird!! Never did it but one of my favorite sayings throughout life has been - "CUT THE ENGINE CHARLEY, I'M GOIN IN"!!

? for ya @videoarizona,, can you guess what childhood TV of ours I got that from??

Cut the engine VAz,, I'm goin in = YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWW

I'm kinda going through a similar situation, by proxy.

I'm the legal guardian for one of my brothers, he's soon to be 60, mildly autistic, mild schizophrenia. He does just fine in that he needs minimal care....He lives in an apartment that I built onto the garage, we make sure he either joins us for dinner, or I'll bring him something....freezer and cabinets always have a couple weeks worth of food, he can use the microwave so it's not that much trouble to care for him.

Thing is that at his last dental checkup the dentist said it's time to think about pulling his remaining teeth and getting him dentures. He's on SSI as his only income, and we've been able to save a good chunk of it for just such a rainy day. He has no dental insurance so it'll be paid for with his savings, but this stuff is PRICEY. Dentist said we'll be looking at 8-10K for dental work and dentures. He suggested the "Post?" type if we can afford it, or standard dentures if we want to save $$$.

Anyone have any opinions on which way to go with this?

I'm nobody's mother but I gotta tell ya @uncledj, I FINALLY got hooked up with a Dentist office that is not only reasonably priced (for our area) but also has done a GREAT job of caring for my needs. Aspen Dental is of whom I speak. They did a walk-in removal of two teeth that were really giving me fits (broke off below the gum line) and did not charge me a dime more for the quick attention. Paying cash (no dental insurance), they also offer a 30 percent discount! All my other dental offices were above 1700 bucks for each partial, with discount, these guys are at 900 bucks. I know they do dentures but not sure on the implants, going to ask this Monday at my next appointment.. If you take your brother to see them tell them Puc sent you,, not really,, dont do that,, they would probably charge you double just for admitting you and I are buddies:240: