IGNORED

Shoulder surgery

RDawson

Anybody here have experience with a labral tear in the shoulder? I go Wednesday to meet with the surgeon to schedule his fixing that, a rotator cuff 50% frayed, and maybe removing some bone spurs. My tear is in the back and somewhat unusual according to the first surgeon I talked to, he referred me to another dr with more experience with that injury. I've been trying to get some accessories on the bike and have it ready as soon as the shoulder will handle it, waiting for the hitch and passenger peg mounts to come back from powder coater. SOOOOOOo the big question is how long will she be setting in the shop? I don't personally know anyone with the labral repair. I do know this getting older stuff ain't for wimps.

Not me Corporal Newkirk but you will be in my thoughts and prayers for a good outcome on that upcoming surgery. Thinking back in time a ways, I do recall a couple of dirt riding buddies who suffered some rotator cuff injuries and were down for a good while. If memory serves, I think one of them who I had not seen at the track for months finally showed up at a race and I asked where he had been. His reply was something along the line of "because of the lower blood flow in the region of the rotator cuff - the recuporation from such surgery is fairly lengthy". He also added that so was the therapy program taken to get back up to par. He obviously did what he was suppose to do cause it wasnt long and he was clearing 150' jumps with NO PROBLEM again..

Well Puc I don't plan on any 150 foot jumps, I remember what ramping Tweeksis did for ya last year. From what I understand the labral tear is a bigger problem than the rotator cuff. I didn't ask doc about heal up time or what it'll do to my firefighting yet. I'm not sure I'll ask about riding, I've never seen a dr yet that didn't back up when you mention that word motorcycle. I'll probably play that by ear and jump on when I feel like it. If I don't ask maybe momma won't yell that I'm not listening to the dr. The last shift I worked was Christmas Day, shouldn't have been there then but if I took off one of the young guys with kids would've been forced into missing Christmas at home. I'm ready to get it fixed and back to life.

I spent 23 years providing Orthopedic rehab equipment in homes for rotator cuffs, total knee replacements, anything to do with a joint or muscles or injuries. Sports injuries. For a lot of years my fleet of knee CPM machines was over 160 machines in use/day either in homes or hospitals. Helped hundreds of RC repair patients. Western IA and all of NE.

How short, sweet, honest and breifly would you be up to hearing 3 truths about shoulder surgery based on my experience?

Here's where I was the last 10 uears...

https://www.orthotekinc.com/

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Fell in April 2012, and broke my humerus bone into my right shoulder joint. Doc opened me up and repaired the bone, long scar in armpit.

Took three months of physical therapy, and I was off on my trike from NJ to AR in September. Didn't have full use of arm for a year, but today,

it is 100% and stronger than my left arm.

Edited by leo3wheel

For some reason I can't respond to individual posts.

I would like to know as much as possible of what I'm up against. I've heard therapy won't be fun but that's about it. I've already been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in several joints so I'm sure that's gonna be fun too. I'm anxious to hear the drs opinion about crawling around dragging hoses and swinging sledge hammers and axes.

I had bone spurs ground down, rotator repair, and slight labrum repair a year ago this past Christmas. Surgery was on Thursday. Friday through Monday was spending most of the time in the recliner. Which by the way, is the only place to sleep after this surgery. It was 2 weeks before I was able to sleep in a bed.

i have an office job and spend my days on a computer. I was able to work Tuesday afternoon and all day every day after that but it was from home. I only missed 3 1/2 days of work. It was about 10 days before I was driving to the office. I drive a full size pickup and with the left shoulder repaired I wasn’t comfortable pulling the door closed.

My first physical therapy appointment was one week after the surgery and my wife had to take me to just that one. After that I went two times per week for maybe two months, possibly 6 weeks. Whatever I was assigned to do for exercises I had doubled the reps before the next appointment. I had been told by others that to recover completely to not slack off at all on the PT.

It worked. I have full, if not more movement and strength than I had before. I have coworkers and a relative who slacked off and struggled to recover and have less movement/flexibility.

We are all different and the surgeries vary so do what the Physical therapist tells you at minimum and follow his/her advice before going to the extremes I did. Since this was done over the winter it didn’t interfere with bike riding, clearing brush, and a complete remodel of a kitchen and two bathrooms starting in May.

i was humbled when I had a flat tire on my truck 3 weeks after the surgery and had to call for someone to change it for me. Never before watched someone work on something for me in my 60+ years.

I wish well with your surgery. Those first days will be tough but it will be worth it

Another thought, I was prescribed a cuff that circulated ice water. It was great for those first few days. If it’s an option, go for it! It helps if you assistance in replenishing the ice water the first day and night because it needs it every few hours.

• 4 weeks later...

I missed most of last season after my shoulder surgery in March. I tore 3 of the 4 rotator cuff muscles. Couldn't ride till mid Oct and didn't try riding 2 up. I had trouble with strength in push/pull movements. Another month here till riding season starts, cant wait. Good luck in your rehab.

• 1 month later...
S.Tyler I've tried several times to respond to your post. 3 truths? Hit me. I'm ready........ I think.
It hurts like nothing else.

You have to push through rehab Faithfully in spite of the pain.

You will ultimately be happy that you did it.

It hurts like nothing else.

You have to push through rehab Faithfully in spite of the pain.

You will ultimately be happy that you did it.

I'm 7 weeks post surgery. Most of the damage was in the labrum and a cyst had formed on the nerve. It really hasn't been as bad as I'd heard. Therapy twice a week plus working at home. Therapy isn't much fun but I'm healing. I have been on the bike once for 75 miles, not a wise choice. Now I'm working toward being ready to make Freebird's in June.

I'm 7 weeks post surgery. Most of the damage was in the labrum and a cyst had formed on the nerve. It really hasn't been as bad as I'd heard. Therapy twice a week plus working at home. Therapy isn't much fun but I'm healing. I have been on the bike once for 75 miles, not a wise choice. Now I'm working toward being ready to make Freebird's in June.

Good news,,,, blessings to ya!

That is good news. Glad you are healing up well.