IGNORED

Spring in Victoria

camos

Whoa!

In VICTORIA???

Is that allowed?~

Rgds, WRIDR

I was certain it was against the law but the NDP/Green Party got into power so things are going to Hell around here. Mother Nature probably had her gas shut off.

If you brush the snow off the trees you will find the cherry blossoms underneath.

In the big storm just after Christmas Salt Spring was the hardest hit. There were 124 telephone poles down and 73 transformers blew up. Every road had trees and power lines down across them. We fared ok, as old timers we were prepared. We only lost power for 5 days and water for 3. With the wood stove and propane lanterns and the freezer packed with ice we had no problems. Some people did not get out for two weeks, no power or water. It reminded me of when I first moved here. Every winter if you had to be on the road early you carried a chain saw to cut your way through the downed trees. The second storm bypassed us completely and hit the mainland.

BC Hydro had over 200 linemen here working 24/7. All the locals were out cutting up the trees for next years firewood.

We had cherry blossoms on our two trees last week too....

You guys seem to have it worse than us this year. We were on SSI last week (didn't go on the bike though LOL) visiting friends & then on to Nanaimo & Gabriola viewing a house (glad we weren't going this week!)& there was a couple of inches. But it's just gone nuts since then. Our friends on SSI were without power from 22nd to 28th Dec.

We had to go out today as my wife had a medical appointment. People just don't seem to be able to drive in this weather. Wrong tires & their reaction seems to be "foot to the floor" if wheels start to spin. Couple of pics taken around Mission earlier.

We've had between 6" & 10" but it's varied a lot dependant on location. It's also that light powdery snow that blows around a lot, but easier to clear than the wet stuff we usually get.

C.Hwy 7 Lougheed east 2.jpg

Hwy 7, Lougheed driving east

C.Junct 7th ave & Grand.jpg

Mission- Junct. 7th & Grand

You gotta laugh! Schools closed, snow days (offices closed) all over the place, public transit not running or ridiculous queues, God knows what'll happen if we ever get a REAL &/or prolonged winter! This is CANADA after all!

Edited by Kretz

Don't understand it. It should never snow :snow: in Victoria with all the hot air :witch_brew: coming out of a certain building!
Yeah but it's probably closed due to weather because the air services into the harbour are down and they can't fly in from their mainland mansions on the North Shore and Marine Drive. It's like a big Catch 22.

The main road near my house finally got plowed this afternoon. Don't expect that to happen on my road for another week or so. Not that it matters too much as I have enough food to last 3 or 4 weeks however, my meds are going to run out in 10 days. Hope things get back to normal before then... and that my bike will start after such a long siesta.

On top of the snow we already had, yesterday we got another 10 or 11 inches ... 5-6 of it overnight which I had to plow my driveway yesterday morning and then another 4-5 during the day. Pic att'd is after the snow stopped falling yesterday afternoon. Then we got another 3-4 inches last night. NOT complaining coz the snow here is light and easy to clear and frankly, I like the snowy weather in this area. It's not been all that cold (anywhere from +2 to -10), lots of sunshine and very little wind. So glad we're no longer living in the Vancouver area!

Our driveway...

20190212_163230.jpg 20190212_163255.jpg

Looking east towards the river from the driveway...

20190212_163245.jpg

Looking west ...

20190212_163321.jpg