IGNORED

Clogged Carbs??

ENG2242

, Hey everyone, the 2013 RSV has sat for three years as a result of an illness . Two of the four carbs are operating, the other two must be gummed up. It starts,however, she’s not running rough. There is a quarter tank with minimal amount of Seafoom added from before I got ill. Should I just take it to the dealer, or do you have any suggestionsThanks so much, David

Same thing happened to my 99RSV. Rode it home from the Cody International and parked it. I started it a couple of times but never rode it for another year, but was having big health issues. It sat for another 2 years during colon surgery recovery, and when I tried to fire it up the throttle wouldn't even twist. The carbs were so bad I never did get them free'd up. And believe me I tried everything... Finally had to replace them with a another set. Good luck with yours.... :fingers-crossed-emo

All depends on whether or not you are wanting to/able to work an them yourself? If you are wanting to tinker with them and try a few things, maybe take a quick look at this video and then take a look at the carbs on your RSV and see if you can locate the drain plug/screws and drain hoses like shown on my 83. I have successfully cleaned carbs that have sat by working thru those drains numerous times (not always, sometimes they do have to come all the way down and jets be cleaned out/replaced and carb rebuilt). The down side is that I have never been exposed to a set of RSV carbs (I'm one of the clubs 1st Gen Mk1 wearer outers and never worked on the RSV) BUT carb is usually a carb so to speak.. Here is the vid, you watch it, look at your bike and see if you can find the drains on yours, then let me know if you would like more thoughts on trying to clean them before taking them down..

Good for you to be well again and reaching for the bike, that sure cheers up a fellow.

Likely the answer can be found knowing a bit more information, such as when the bike 1st starts and runs for one or two minutes, are all pipes hot? using a Water spray bottle.

Next is when you raise the rpm does she smooth out and are all pipes get hot?

If she only stumbles at idle it is likely the pilot jets. If the cold pipes warm slower but within 4 minutes (before heat conduction) then safe to assume partial clogging and additives will likely work although it takes time!

If the pilots are completely blocked on 1 or 2 cylinders then the pipes will only warm after the coolant circulates (after 5+ minutes; in which case the pilots need to be removed and cleaned.

If however she stumbles with light throttle likely stuck floats and knocking them while the bowls are full may release them.

Glad you are back on your feet. I have had good luck with Berryman's B12 in a spray can. Drain all old gas, add a little with some B12 in it. Start if you can. spray B12 into every hole you can find run it spray more run it spray more. Let sit for a day, repeat. It takes time but I have cleared out an RSV that sat for 5 years untreated.