IGNORED

I'm sure y'all been wondering ....

SilvrT

Where I've been ...

(well maybe not but anyhoo ...)

Aside from being totally engrossed in model car building I'm now fully emerged in studying to become a licensed tax preparer. ASSUMING I pass my exams I'll be working full-time from beginning of Feb thru end of April.

I do hold a certificate in tax preparation now; however, that was wayyyyy back in 1990 ... methinks some things have changed since LOL ... not to mention I've only done my own taxes both personal and self-employed since. Gawd there's a LOT to know !!!

Did you know, for instance, that a teacher can deduct certain out-of-pocket expenses for his/her classroom? As an example, they can deduct crayons but they can't deduct a fish and a fish tank ... yet they can deduct food for the fish !!! hahaha I just find that hilarious!

Round' here it's easy to find tax preparers, but mighty challenging to find ones that take it seriously. Congrats on that, I suspect you will be in demand.

I've got a Bottlenose pete towtruck I'm waiting to build, I havnt built a model car/truck/bike since before my first marriage, so, 30 years or so. I do have several I have picked up over the years and really wanting to get back into it. I like to build select classic cars with heavy tilt towards euro, but I have a strange attraction to old trucks, cant get enough of that, especially tow and recovery rigs. Funny, just a couple weeks ago I found my Badger 350 and knife/awl set.

If you ever feel compelled to post some of your work I would be counted among the interested viewers.

Where I've been ...

(well maybe not but anyhoo ...)

Aside from being totally engrossed in model car building I'm now fully emerged in studying to become a licensed tax preparer. ASSUMING I pass my exams I'll be working full-time from beginning of Feb thru end of April.

I do hold a certificate in tax preparation now; however, that was wayyyyy back in 1990 ... methinks some things have changed since LOL ... not to mention I've only done my own taxes both personal and self-employed since. Gawd there's a LOT to know !!!

Did you know, for instance, that a teacher can deduct certain out-of-pocket expenses for his/her classroom? As an example, they can deduct crayons but they can't deduct a fish and a fish tank ... yet they can deduct food for the fish !!! hahaha I just find that hilarious!

Good to hear you’re still alive and kicking Rick. I was wondering if you were spending all your time planning the Kruisin’ for this summer. I also see you’ve sold your new house you bought and have moved back into a fifth wheel, lol 😂. Anyways, hope your new gig works out for you and good luck with your exams. Doug

Good to hear you’re still alive and kicking Rick. I was wondering if you were spending all your time planning the Kruisin’ for this summer. I also see you’ve sold your new house you bought and have moved back into a fifth wheel, lol 😂. Anyways, hope your new gig works out for you and good luck with your exams. Doug

Sorry, no Kruis'n this year ... maybe 2020.

Nope, haven't moved back into a 5er ... yet! LOL but if I keep spending money on model cars we might have to!

Round' here it's easy to find tax preparers, but mighty challenging to find ones that take it seriously. Congrats on that, I suspect you will be in demand.

I've got a Bottlenose pete towtruck I'm waiting to build, I havnt built a model car/truck/bike since before my first marriage, so, 30 years or so. I do have several I have picked up over the years and really wanting to get back into it. I like to build select classic cars with heavy tilt towards euro, but I have a strange attraction to old trucks, cant get enough of that, especially tow and recovery rigs. Funny, just a couple weeks ago I found my Badger 350 and knife/awl set.

If you ever feel compelled to post some of your work I would be counted among the interested viewers.

Here's a few of the more recent ones ... since we moved here in Sept last year I've built 17 and have 4 in various stages of completion.

IMG_6104.jpgIMG_5910.jpgIMG_5995.jpgIMG_6120.jpgIMG_5929.jpg

The bug has a front mounted Ford 4.6 litre supercharged, intercooled V8 sitting on chassis and driveline components from a '68 Camaro Z28 and yes, the hood fits LOL

WOW, thats some nice work! It would appear I'm a few steps behind you with getting a nice paint job. Love the frankenbug. I have a couple totes full of models where parts were missing/body warped/error victims, just for such things.

I'm getting my data cables back this week and i'll upload a few pics. Should give me some time to clean them up, they haven't seen daylight since I was in my early 20s.

Funny, the wrecker I've been wanting to build, the AMT 8126. I thought it was a bottlenose but I guess to much time went by. I think I have a bottlenose 1:25 cab in that tote though. I'm clearing some room in the loft and sorting through all my paints and supplies, a little less screen time would be good for me anyway.

WOW, thats some nice work! It would appear I'm a few steps behind you with getting a nice paint job. Love the frankenbug. I have a couple totes full of models where parts were missing/body warped/error victims, just for such things.

I'm getting my data cables back this week and i'll upload a few pics. Should give me some time to clean them up, they haven't seen daylight since I was in my early 20s.

Funny, the wrecker I've been wanting to build, the AMT 8126. I thought it was a bottlenose but I guess to much time went by. I think I have a bottlenose 1:25 cab in that tote though. I'm clearing some room in the loft and sorting through all my paints and supplies, a little less screen time would be good for me anyway.

Lookin fwd to seeing your "stuff" ... if you're on facebook, check out this group ... it's where I am a lot.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheNewModelersClub/

Lookin fwd to seeing your "stuff" ... if you're on facebook, check out this group ... it's where I am a lot.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheNewModelersClub/

I'm afraid I'm no longer on FB or any social media beyond these great forums. I'll see if I can get to it from my laptop, I would like to see some more work. To bad I cant engage in FB groups like this without actually going back to FB.

I brought out a few that I had done years back, they were wrapped in bubble wrap and carefully fit into small totes. I was moving around too much in those years not to try and keep them safe until such a time that I could place them in a suitable case. My next move is coming soon and will hopefully be my last. I've been collecting a few model kits as I find them. I always knew when I was done moving around I would return to this thing I have been doing since I was a small child.

BTW, I like what you did to Christine, that last one was Christine, right? I have a Christine still sealed, also a 57 300C waiting to be built. Something about the old Chrysler products, They captured all that was spectacular and flamboyant about American cars when the big three were still on top of the world. Every time I go to a hobby shop I go straight for the models and see if one jumps out at me. Usually at least one does. Now I have a fair stack of models to choose from to build.

I understand painting much better than I did last time I tried it on a model truck. I'm seeking out youtube tutorials now. The one part of model building that has always haunted me was trying to get a nice job like that on the body. Most of mine I built simply omitting body paint/CC, but going forward I'm going to learn to do that correctly.

Edited by CaseyJ955

I'm afraid I'm no longer on FB or any social media beyond these great forums. I'll see if I can get to it from my laptop, I would like to see some more work. To bad I cant engage in FB groups like this without actually going back to FB.

I brought out a few that I had done years back, they were wrapped in bubble wrap and carefully fit into small totes. I was moving around too much in those years not to try and keep them safe until such a time that I could place them in a suitable case. My next move is coming soon and will hopefully be my last. I've been collecting a few model kits as I find them. I always knew when I was done moving around I would return to this thing I have been doing since I was a small child.

BTW, I like what you did to Christine, that last one was Christine, right? I have a Christine still sealed, also a 57 300C waiting to be built. Something about the old Chrysler products, They captured all that was spectacular and flamboyant about American cars when the big three were still on top of the world. Every time I go to a hobby shop I go straight for the models and see if one jumps out at me. Usually at least one does. Now I have a fair stack of models to choose from to build.

I understand painting much better than I did last time I tried it on a model truck. I'm seeking out youtube tutorials now. The one part of model building that has always haunted me was trying to get a nice job like that on the body. Most of mine I built simply omitting body paint/CC, but going forward I'm going to learn to do that correctly.

yes, Christine ... a good kit. look into a product called Bare Metal Foil ... thats what I use for the chrome trim ... also a Molotow liqiud chrome pen

painting doesn't always go easy and I've re-done a few because of that. A bit of advice ... stay away from Testor's enamel both brush-on and spray ... their lacquer is ok ... Tamiya brush on lacquer and spray paints are good, Dupli-color is good as well as Krylon spray paint.

If you have to re-do (strip old paint), soak the model in DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid for at least 24 hrs ... generally the old paint peels right off.

yes, Christine ... a good kit. look into a product called Bare Metal Foil ... thats what I use for the chrome trim ... also a Molotow liqiud chrome pen

painting doesn't always go easy and I've re-done a few because of that. A bit of advice ... stay away from Testor's enamel both brush-on and spray ... their lacquer is ok ... Tamiya brush on lacquer and spray paints are good, Dupli-color is good as well as Krylon spray paint.

If you have to re-do (strip old paint), soak the model in DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid for at least 24 hrs ... generally the old paint peels right off.

Isn't that the same stuff that eats our fairings when leaked onto them? :crying:

:farmer:

I have a large expensive box full of Testors paints. In retrospect the Testors paints were never great to work with, I guess I didn't realize there were better alternatives. I will replace them now with the better paints. Far to many hours go into one of these to cheap out on supplies IMHO.

When I was much younger I had 20/13 vision and the steady hands of a surgeon. I painted chrome trim freehand with a precision brush and it was pretty darn good if I do say so. I'm looking at some of the examples of foil vs paint and it's no contest. I have added Bare Metal Foil and Molotow Liquid Chrome pen to the shopping list along with what I'm sure will be a fairly pricey pile of paints. I have been using the Testors precision glue, is there something better I could be using?

I now have an old Peterbuilt cab/sleeper soaking in DOT3, I condemned it years ago with a bad paint job. You saved ol' Pete! It's working! I still have the rest of the kit untouched. I didnt know what would strip the paint without hurting the plastic body. I did, however, find some things that would strip the paint and turn the body into a molten plastic turd.

I didn't know any of what you said here, highly informative and I'm sure I cant thank you enough. I can see each of these tips upping my game considerably. Last time I built a model the internet wasn't a thing, access to tips and professionals like yourself were not available.

What can I say? Thank you! Time to go shopping.

I have a large expensive box full of Testors paints. In retrospect the Testors paints were never great to work with, I guess I didn't realize there were better alternatives. I will replace them now with the better paints. Far to many hours go into one of these to cheap out on supplies IMHO.

When I was much younger I had 20/13 vision and the steady hands of a surgeon. I painted chrome trim freehand with a precision brush and it was pretty darn good if I do say so. I'm looking at some of the examples of foil vs paint and it's no contest. I have added Bare Metal Foil and Molotow Liquid Chrome pen to the shopping list along with what I'm sure will be a fairly pricey pile of paints. I have been using the Testors precision glue, is there something better I could be using?

I now have an old Peterbuilt cab/sleeper soaking in DOT3, I condemned it years ago with a bad paint job. You saved ol' Pete! It's working! I still have the rest of the kit untouched. I didnt know what would strip the paint without hurting the plastic body. I did, however, find some things that would strip the paint and turn the body into a molten plastic turd.

I didn't know any of what you said here, highly informative and I'm sure I cant thank you enough. I can see each of these tips upping my game considerably. Last time I built a model the internet wasn't a thing, access to tips and professionals like yourself were not available.

What can I say? Thank you! Time to go shopping.

I use 4 kinds of glue ...

Elmer's clear school glue

Testors clear parts cement and window maker

Super Glue aka Krazy glue ... the gel kind.

Tamiya extra thin cement

Happy to share my knowledge!

@CaseyJ955

Here's a Chevy van I've painted twice and haven't been happy with either result. The first time the paint was too ripply .. caused from holding the spray can too far away and not laying on enough paint ... second time I got good results but didn't care for the graphic design / colors I used.

You can see it soaking for the second time in the brake fluid ... It's been there since last night and already the paint is almost ready to fall off.

IMG_5969.jpg IMG_6162.jpg IMG_6163.jpg IMG_6164.jpg

Certainly a lot of knowledge goes into model making. Where do you get your models from? I would like to find a "Diamond T" truck tractor circa 1970. If you have sources, let me know. Thanks.

:farmer:

for y'all in the USA, Hobby Lobby is a good source. Go to their web site and print off the 40% off coupon ... you can use that against the most expensive item you purchase ... and you can do it over and over several times ... just print off a new coupon and go again.

for me, due to where I live, I'm limited to some on-line Canadian sources.

I don't recall ever seeing a model kit of a Diamond T though ...

for y'all in the USA, Hobby Lobby is a good source. Go to their web site and print off the 40% off coupon ... you can use that against the most expensive item you purchase ... and you can do it over and over several times ... just print off a new coupon and go again.

for me, due to where I live, I'm limited to some on-line Canadian sources.

I don't recall ever seeing a model kit of a Diamond T though ...

I just printed one off, might as well stop in and see what they have. The other local Who's Hobby has tons of good stuff. Just as well check both out. If I were to see a 70s Diamont T kit I would snap right up, thats exactly the sort of thing I keep an eye out for. I've had my eye out for a same era COE Ford, not to many of those floating around either.

Just wondering SilvrT do you always use spray cans & brushes to paint? Ever thought of an airbrush? Never used one myself but would love to play with one. Friend of mine in the UK had a framed painting done of his E Type Jaguar, done by a guy that painted using airbrushed I was astounded at the detail. It looked amazing when completed.

Just wondering SilvrT do you always use spray cans & brushes to paint? Ever thought of an airbrush? Never used one myself but would love to play with one. Friend of mine in the UK had a framed painting done of his E Type Jaguar, done by a guy that painted using airbrushed I was astounded at the detail. It looked amazing when completed.

Yes, I do use an airbrush also ... in fact, I have 3 of them. ... it just depends on what paint and color I'm going to work with or what I want to do ... the "bug" in the pic above was done with an airbrush using a candy orange over silver base. Did the yellow/orang graphic on this truck with the airbrush. I have a home-made spray booth and small compressor in my "hobby room" which is a spare bedroom converted to an office/hobby room.

IMG_5910.jpg

I took my 40% off coupon into Hobby Lobby today. They have a fairly decent wall of stuff. Mostly the AMT kits, no Tamiya, and no Tamiya paints. I did grab the chrome pen, contour putty and glue that is not old enough to buy it's own beer. I was walking out and this Revell kit, an Early Bronco, jumped right off the shelf. Never seen one jump like that before, so I had to bring it home, really no choice. I know you understand.

I did grab a handful of the Tamiya paints from another hobby place. They had one Tamiya model but it was an Enzo, I'll go on Ebay and see if I can find a 356 or 935 in the Tamiya line. Thanks for the tons of guidance, I"m going to do my best to get a couple pics up today.