IGNORED

2018 Yamaha Star Venture Summary Review

Mover

Thanks Mover, this video was new to me.

Nice to see a happy owner after 12K on her.

Also watched the Wing video right after, true in my case, can't stand looking thru a bike windscreen, through that vid I was tense just tripping over the reflections dancing around it, as well as the gauge shield.

Pardon me and I apologize. For being AWOL lately and not knowing if this has already been discussed, and for passing on stupid gossip from YouTube comments section BUT...

In the comments V-Twin Lover says,"Sadly, numerous actual Owners of the 2018 SVTC/Eluder models have been pressing Yamaha concerning the question of why no 2019 models being offered (out of obvious concern). Yamaha has officially responded to those inquiries with letters stating that due to poor sales, no 2019's will be made and the future beyond 19 of the models will remain questionable based on whether or not the left over inventory of 2018's sell during the 2019 riding season. They have also been told that even if the model does go back to production it will be strictly done by a new "Yamaha Pre-Order System" and no bikes will be shipped to fill dealership floor space."

That was just too juicy for me to pass on! I guess my feminine side is flaming right now😬

Is this typical net graffiti or news? (To me anyway)

Well my first thoughts on the news of the gen 3 having read a bit and heard what Canadian pricing was scheduled at was - the Cavalcade blunder repeated.

In those days Reaganomics was to blame or so they said.

The Cade failed not because is wasn't a successful design in its time but because they spent 5.5B getting it to market during a recession.

It had two major hiccups one was fuel range and the other was a simple plug fix that unattended or not address could cause rear lockup.

It was also the most expensive production bike anywhere, in its day.

I haven't mentioned this before not wishing to spoil the splash of this new and beautiful machine but, likely I'm not the only one who has reflected on this tidbit of history.

Personally I hope it pulls thru really is a hot looking option.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for showing the Video it was great to hear a plain clean simple account of the bike by someone who has owned several over long term to compare. However not to be the downpour on a other wise beautiful sunny day, I have to say. I had the opertunity to ride the 2018 and all though I really enjoyed riding it if not for being a tad shy on extra spending funds I would certianly choose it over any of the other new bikes available today. Having said that If I could choose between a brand new 1st gen and a brand new 3rd gen I would definitly choose the 1st gen. Here are some of the things I noticed comparing them.

1. I like the fact that the 1st gen is less sophisticated and more user friendly for those of us that prefer to do our own work
  2. you could still feel a bit of engine vibration coming up through the seat. the 1st gen is still a smoother running machine
  3. I feel the 1st gen has nicer throttle response specially when you kick it down a gear.
  4. The 3rd gen corners beautifully though in the beginning I had an issue with it due to the 1st gens higher center of gravity I have adopted my riding style to it. when I got on the 3rd gen it took me a few turns to get used to and adapt to the lower center of gravity. For me both bikes corner very nicely
  5. Low speed maneuvering on the 3rd gen is however much nicer due to the lower center of gravity.
  6. Also due to the lower center of gravity the third gen feels lighter and easier to handle at a stand still rather than feeling like you could drop it at any second.

Having said all that there are some features I like on the third gen though not a necessity such as the adjustable windshield and the cargo capacity and the electric maneuvering motor. But at the end of the day when it comes right down to it I just want to ride, so really a lot of gadgets short of a GPS whether as built in or an add on all I really need is a reliable motorcycle.

Edited by saddlebum

Pardon me and I apologize. For being AWOL lately and not knowing if this has already been discussed, and for passing on stupid gossip from YouTube comments section BUT...

In the comments V-Twin Lover says,"Sadly, numerous actual Owners of the 2018 SVTC/Eluder models have been pressing Yamaha concerning the question of why no 2019 models being offered (out of obvious concern). Yamaha has officially responded to those inquiries with letters stating that due to poor sales, no 2019's will be made and the future beyond 19 of the models will remain questionable based on whether or not the left over inventory of 2018's sell during the 2019 riding season. They have also been told that even if the model does go back to production it will be strictly done by a new "Yamaha Pre-Order System" and no bikes will be shipped to fill dealership floor space."

That was just too juicy for me to pass on! I guess my feminine side is flaming right now

Is this typical net graffiti or news? (To me anyway)

This is all news to me, if this is true then the folks that already have the 18 should enjoy exclusivity and possibly increased value. I like the concept of a pre-order system. It would eliminate impulse buyers but they would be stuck with a whole lot less inventory at the end of the model-year. It makes sense, glad to see Yamaha take this approach. Although I was an outspoken critic of this bike, or at least the fact that it was coined as a Venture, I did not doubt that it would sell in-spite of being overpriced IMHO. Overpricing has not hurt HD until more recently. I've only seen an Eluder in the flesh and I can easily see how this bike would take some customers from Polaris and HD, at least those looking to cover some serious miles.

Those pressing Yamaha for regular production should (IMHO) be ready to make a deposit for one. Sure this bike aint for me, but I am surprised it didn't sell better. It seems to have a lot to offer twin buyers looking for something more refined.

This is all news to me, if this is true then the folks that already have the 18 should enjoy exclusivity and possibly increased value. I like the concept of a pre-order system. It would eliminate impulse buyers but they would be stuck with a whole lot less inventory at the end of the model-year. It makes sense, glad to see Yamaha take this approach. Although I was an outspoken critic of this bike, or at least the fact that it was coined as a Venture, I did not doubt that it would sell in-spite of being overpriced IMHO. Overpricing has not hurt HD until more recently. I've only seen an Eluder in the flesh and I can easily see how this bike would take some customers from Polaris and HD, at least those looking to cover some serious miles.

Those pressing Yamaha for regular production should (IMHO) be ready to make a deposit for one. Sure this bike aint for me, but I am surprised it didn't sell better. It seems to have a lot to offer twin buyers looking for something more refined.

While I still think Mom Yam may have made a huge profit margin mistake by trying to understand/compete toe to toe with Harley Davidson's marketing schematic (hard for any other manufacurer to figure out why HD has been such a HUGE seller when even the people at HD havent figured it out :happy65:) and I think they could have actually knocked the ball out of the park and realized some of those profit margins/ROI they were hoping for if they would have just read/listened to the clubs input found years ago in this thread :https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?102280-Let-the-discussion-begin&highlight=make+mine+fastest

I do totally agree with what Casey is saying here though.. Case in point (no pun intended Casey :biker:), it wasn't long ago that one of those "Palimino" RSTD's was for sale on Ebay and, as I recall, its bid was up to 8k when I noticed it and the reserve was not met. No idea what that 1 or 2 year bike sold for but I do know that its exclutivity DEFINITELY was a draw!! There are TONS of great deals out there on left over 18's (I have seen SVTC's for under 20 now) - perhaps this Just In Time Inventory idea will help clear the path for stabilization of sales and will help with future value..

Yamaha's "Pre-Order System" is nothing new. This was the only way you could get an FJR1300 when they first came out. They did this with the FJR because of what happened with the GTS1000 in 1993. For me the SVTC is too large. I felt the same way about the Kawasaki Concours 13. I am 6' 2" so not too large for me to handle, just stylistically too large. Its a good looking bike and well executed and no doubt will be reliable. I think Yamaha mis-read the market for it though. Unlikely you will get many Goldwing riders to switch from liquid cooled, shaft drive, 6 cylinder to Air cooled V-twin belt drive. Similarly, I believe the majority of Harley sales are because it is a Harley, not because the specifications of the bike are better. I think an old acquaintance who was the GSM of the Harley Dealer for a number of years phrased it best. I came in one day asked him "So how have motorcycle sales been?" His reply to me- "We don't sell motorcycles here.....We sell lifestyle...." Next time you are at an outdoor event, block party, concert, etc. See how many Yamaha or Star t-shirts/clothing jackets you see relative to HD. Actually look for all brands combined vs. HD. This is what you are competing against with HD. So that leaves the small V-twin market void created with Victory leaving the market. Assuming all Victory owners are V twin Loyalists, this market gets split between Harley, Indian, Yamaha, and Kawasaki for V-twin cruiser style touring bikes. Will be interesting to see what happens moving forward.

Edited by RSTDdog