IGNORED

Enhanced Drivers License

Jayceesfolly

In the US there is a new requirement for a new Real ID drivers license that takes effect in a few weeks, for air travel, border crossings, etc.. I have discovered that an Enhanced Drivers License is an accepted replacement for this Real ID and since I already have the enhanced license I don't have to go thru the process of getting a new drivers license(or the expense). But one thing I did find out is that Canada is now issuing enhanced licenses in Ontario, Quebec, BC, and Manitoba for travel to the US, per our Dept of Homeland Security.

My question to my Canadian friends is - Is this license available there and is it cheaper than a passport?

Inquiring minds want to know and thought this might inform someone wanting to attend our rallies here in the states, that there may be a faster or cheaper method than a passport.

I have used my EDL to cross from Ontario back to the US and it has worked well, only a 30 second stop at the customs booth.

Jim

:325: :63:

Glad to see this post. KY will start the new license in April, mine will expire then anyway and was trying to figure out if it will get us across the border without a passport. We are considering going to Niagara Falls when we leave Freebird's maintenance day. Our 25th anniversary is just before MD and I don't think she'll count that as the celebration trip. I got away with it last year but I think she expects more for 25 years. I thought she won the lottery when she got me but evidently I got to give a little more now and then.

[h=2]Cost and delivery[/h] [h=3]Cost[/h] $40

Note: you will also have to pay for your driver’s licence fee.

[h=4]Payment[/h] You can pay with a Visa, MasterCard, debit, cash, or certified cheque.

[h=3]Delivery[/h] You can have the card delivered securely to your residence, which takes 6 to 8 weeks by secure delivery or you may pick it up at a specified ServiceOntario centre of your choice.

Please note, the temporary driver’s licence you receive before your card is ready for pickup cannot be used to travel to the United States.

[h=2]Renewing an EDL[/h] The EDL is valid for 5 years. It must be renewed every 5 years at a ServiceOntario centre that offers the service.

You will receive a renewal reminder with a renewal form 2 to 3 months before it expires.

To renew, you will need to visit a ServiceOntario centre that offers EDL services and:

• bring your EDL as proof of identity and citizenship
  • complete the renewal form included in the renewal reminder
  • fill out a renewal questionnaire
  • pay the renewal fee plus the cost of renewing a driver’s licence (and any other fee or fine applied to you)

We will keep your current EDL, however, a temporary driver’s licence will be issued to you for use until your new EDL arrives by secure delivery. You may also choose to pick it up at a ServiceOntario centre. A temporary driver’s licence cannot be used for entry into the United States.

So it sounds like: Yep, it can work, but then it might just depend on the US border guards and you'll still have to get in line to wait your turn. I don't think it's a Nexus card.

Terror and trouble is nothing new here, we are NORTH of the border and can handle whatever comes our way. Iffin we don't like it, we leave them snowed in!!