IGNORED

Bourbon drinkers I want to hear from you

M61A1MECH

So I have been drinking Woodford Reserve almost exclusively for the past 10 or so years, sometimes the regular Reserve and sometimes Double Oaked, have dabbled a bit with other brands when Woodford was not available, but always returned to Woodford. Yesterday I picked up an after Christmas present for myself and decided to try the relatively new Woodford Rye, I like it quite a bit, wanted to know if other steadfast Bourbon drinkers have tried it and what they think.

Thanks for your time.

I hear so many people talk about their love for bourbon but I just hate it. I've head people tell me "try this one and you'll be hooked". Nope, still hate it. Not just bourbon but any kind of whiskey. Bourbon, Scotch, whatever. Just have to gag it down if I even try it.

I hear so many people talk about their love for bourbon but I just hate it. I've head people tell me "try this one and you'll be hooked". Nope, still hate it. Not just bourbon but any kind of whiskey. Bourbon, Scotch, whatever. Just have to gag it down if I even try it.

I think many of these drinks are an acquired taste & if you don't like 'em you don't like 'em. I do know people who don't care for the regular "scotches" but who do like aged single malts. Much more mellow & palatable.

Anyway by not liking them just think of the $$ you're saving to spend on other stuff!

Edited by Kretz

I'm with you on this except I can't even get it in my mouth. Just the smell makes me to feel like I am going to vomit. If someone else is drinking it and they talked to me face to face, I would have to turn away or lose my lunch.

But then again, I don't like the taste of any kind of hard liquor even though it doesn't make me gag or feel like I am going to vomit like whiskey, bourbon and scotch does.

Wine makes me tired so the only alcohol I drink is beer.

When my brother-in-law drank whiskey or bourbon or scotch, everybody in the family stayed clear of him because he became so nasty. You could actually see his personality change the longer he was drinking it. He was fine when drinking anything else.

Geepers Don, not even a solid Dark Rum, like 'Pussers Navy'?

Been around since the Brits began sailing Boats - every hand received a daily Dopple to keep their spirits up. In those days, you'd need a real healthy Dopple; accommodations being a bit 'sparse' - essentially a hammock and pail, not sure about a toothbrush.~

Rgds, WRIDR

Just got home tonight from visiting old friends in Lexington. I did make a few stops while in the vicinity and came home with:

Wild Turkey - Russel's Reserve Rye & Rare Breed

Buffalo Trace - Sizerac Rye & E.H Taylor Barrel Proof

Last time down there I brought back:

Blantons

Weller, Weller Special Reserve, and Weller 107

Woodford Cherry Oaked

My go-to for Mixed Drinks is usually Buffalo Trace or Woodford

I almost always have a bottle of Eagle Rare floating around the house

Bartons 1792 isn't a bad drinking bottle

Basil Hayden regulars tend to be to "buttery" for my liking but the Two by Two blended rye has a nice spice

If you like smoother "wheated" bourbons Rebel Yell tends to get you close to the Weller/Pappy flavor and usually being readily available

Evan Williams is what I grew up drinking, and usually have a bottle at my mom's cottage, so I'm not always high end stuff

If you're willing to venture away from the Kentucky bourbons High West has some good stuff as well as Breckenridge.

Just got home tonight from visiting old friends in Lexington. I did make a few stops while in the vicinity and came home with:

Wild Turkey - Russel's Reserve Rye & Rare Breed

Buffalo Trace - Sizerac Rye & E.H Taylor Barrel Proof

Last time down there I brought back:

Blantons

Weller, Weller Special Reserve, and Weller 107

Woodford Cherry Oaked

My go-to for Mixed Drinks is usually Buffalo Trace or Woodford

I almost always have a bottle of Eagle Rare floating around the house

Bartons 1792 isn't a bad drinking bottle

Basil Hayden regulars tend to be to "buttery" for my liking but the Two by Two blended rye has a nice spice

If you like smoother "wheated" bourbons Rebel Yell tends to get you close to the Weller/Pappy flavor and usually being readily available

Evan Williams is what I grew up drinking, and usually have a bottle at my mom's cottage, so I'm not always high end stuff

If you're willing to venture away from the Kentucky bourbons High West has some good stuff as well as Breckenridge.

Man I shouldn't have read this while I was at work makes me want to go home :beer:

I kind of like the regular stuff Seagram's, Jack Danial's, Jonny Walker Rea and Black. The half gallon that I have had stored in a closet from the day the wife and I got married may be great or it could be trash. I am not willing to find out. This August will be 46 years.

This summer I was watching the 'Justified' series online (highly recommended) and decided to explore bourbon a bit. I've been buying different bottles on various best lists for months. And drinking it, even though I was only a good wine and cheap beer guy except for an occasional bloody mary.

So far, I think I am tasting a lot of expensive marketing and focus group results. The bottles are pretty. The difference is in the mash of course, how much wheat vs rye. And how much time in what kind of oak, barrels or chips. I think as a beginner I liked smoother wheat and if I stick with it will move toward more rye and its character. Same journey I made with scotch decades ago going from something bland like Chivas Regal to a smokey single malt.

Except now I'm more of a cheapskate, or a value shopper, or whatever, than ever.

So I usually circle back to Wild Turkey. Yesterday at the store a cute girl was giving taste tests so I bought a local small batch bourbon instead. Lots of those popping up. She was cute. I also tasted what she called a real potato (note to Dan Quayle no e) vodka which surprised a 'that's good' out of me. I usually think of vodka as just as flavorless diluted alcohol I put in my bloody mary.

Or not. PBR is good enough for me.

Jim Beam Devils Cut. I have been drinking bourbon my whole life and Devils Cut is by far one of the best tasting and relatively inexpensive bourbons I have ever tasted. Give it a try.

I have been looking at that one myself, may have to give it a try, thanks for the info.

Between myself and my closest friend we do a lot of taste testing and we are self proclaimed Bourbon snobs. Love the stuff . We drink it straight up , no water no ice . Some Bourbons are to strong alcohol tasting some are sweeter. I have yet to find a Bourbon we like better than "Four Roses Small Batch" Got a bottle of Four Roses single barrel for Christmas from the bride Oh my that is very good too. IMG_0111.jpg

All Bourbons are Whiskey but not all Whiskeys are Bourbon. Jack Daniels is not bourbon.

I have gotten many funny looks from bar tenders over the years when I ask, "What do you have for Bourbon?" and when I am offered JD, I am as polite as I can be when I tell them JD is not a Bourbon, many just do not get it. Does that make me a Bourbon snob?

i have gotten many funny looks from bar tenders over the years when i ask, "what do you have for bourbon?" and when i am offered jd, i am as polite as i can be when i tell them jd is not a bourbon, many just do not get it. Does that make me a bourbon snob?

​yes

I have gotten many funny looks from bar tenders over the years when I ask, "What do you have for Bourbon?" and when I am offered JD, I am as polite as I can be when I tell them JD is not a Bourbon, many just do not get it. Does that make me a Bourbon snob?

We just know the difference.

• 2 weeks later...