IGNORED

Enthusiasts Abound

SilvrT

We have gun enthusiasts, boat enthusiasts, RC plane enthusiasts, knife enthusiasts, not to mention what this forum is about ... bike enthusiasts

BUT...

Are there any model car / truck enthusiasts ???

I am one at least ... here's a few of my "builds" ...

IMG_5634.jpgIMG_5472.jpgIMG_5806.jpgIMG_5754.jpgIMG_5790.jpg

Edited by SilvrT

I haven't built any scale models in quite a long time, but I was quite the avid modeler in my youth. My favorite was a very detailed model of the Formula 1 Elf racer. Steering and suspension all worked and the engine was extremely detailed. I'm afraid I'm too OCD these days to enjoy building. It would drive me crazy if I couldn't get everything perfect and would not be able to focus on anything else.

Those look great, BTW!

Edited by luvmy40

I haven't built any scale models in quite a long time, but I was quite the avid modeler in my youth. My favorite was a very detailed model of the Formula 1 Elf racer. Steering and suspension all worked and the engine was extremely detailed. I'm afraid I'm to OCD these days to enjoy building. It would drive me crazy if I couldn't get everything perfect and would not be able to focus on anything else.

Those look great, BTW!

I've only recently gotten back into it ... was quite involved back in my youth also ... now that I'm retired, it gives me something to do.

Yea I also built models when I was much younger. Drag cars, a few trucks (semi) no boats or planes I can remember. But I really was into the "short track" style stock cars of the day. Big tires that stuck out of the fenders full bodied. Had a bunch of them when I got married, but over the years of moving and limited spaces they have all disappeared. Still have a display shelf deal I helped build at a friends of mine dads shop heck got to be almost 40-45 years ago now. The wife has her dust collectors on it now.

I remember using tinfoil for chrome and thread for spark plug wires...

We now can buy a product called "Bare Metal Foil" ... it's specifically made for this purpose.

We can also now buy little distributors of various kinds with wires installed. All we have to do is glue the distributor in place and route the wires, cut them to length and glue them in. These come in various colors of your choice.

And then there's the 3 D printed engine components, carbs, blowers ... all very realistic ... oh, and fuel lines, fuel linkage, wire management.... gawd the list goes on and on. Special tires with raised white lettering, modern custom wheels resembling 18, 20, 23 inch that you see on real custom cars today.

I just ordered 2 air brushes and bunch of paint ... this hobby is gonna put me in the poor house LOL

I remember using tinfoil for chrome and thread for spark plug wires...

I would strip wire and use the copper strands individually, old Ma Bell wire from back in the day are individually insulated and one copper wire makes them rigid, that works fantastic too for some detail also. My best work was a Ferrari 348, the next one I do is a bottle nose pete wrecker.

Mine are all put away so I cant get photos but I have many many left to build. Mostly classic trucks and towtrucks peppered with the cars I would build given infinite money and time. Great thread with some very nice workmanship shown.

AWESOME STUFF GUYS!! :clap2::dancefool::thumbsup2:

I got whipped on and punished pretty bad just for drawing pictures of choppers when I was in Kinny Gartin (true story) so, I missed the formative years of building models and had to jump directly into building the life sized stuff.. It's all good though cause I actually enjoyed riding the things as much as I did building em.. :hurts:

DSCN2804.jpgti3 (171).JPGDSCN9593.JPGDSCN9607.JPGDSCN9612.JPGMay16222.JPGMay11211.JPG73honda74tc185jasonwallpics 009.jpg73honda74tc185jasonwallpics 071.jpgti3 (9).JPGti3 (3).JPGwow (12).JPGDSCN2768.JPGDSCN2766.JPGDSCN2764.jpgDSCN2761.JPGDSCN2726.JPGDSCN2728.JPGwow (36).JPGwow (21).JPG73honda74tc185jasonwallpics 085.jpg

I used to make a lot of models when I was a kid. Cars and airplanes mostly. My favorite was a F1 ferrari about 18 inches long. Everything worked on it and it had an electric motor hidden in it. Next was a hydroplane with a gas engine.

OK, I'm confused ... maybe even astounded .... how does it go from a 5 window coupe to a pickup truck ??? :scared:

Ha! You beat me to it... I was going to say That's one helluva conversion from a coupe to a PU Truck! LOL Love that truck a friend of mine is doing a 5 window Chevy Truck (the one with the curved windows in the back pillars) I think it's a '52?

OK, I'm confused ... maybe even astounded .... how does it go from a 5 window coupe to a pickup truck ??? :scared:

I couldn't be without an old vehicle to drive while I was playing around with the '32. I sold a barn full of projects that I knew I would never live to be old enough to get around to building and bought the '49. It's a 5 window too.

You sir have much more patience than I!!! Wonderful work! And puc, was one of those choppers a KZ? I’ve got a 1100 LTD I’m planning on cafe/brat modifying. Great pics one and all!

Just finished applying the other colors ... now for some clear coats, wet sanding, and polishing ... TAXI anyone?

IMG_5874.jpg

Puc, never claiming to be an old school bike fan but is the last red bike there like a 43 or so Injun flat head?

Good eye Deej,, 41 Chief basket case to be exact.. I will never forget the day I dragged it home,, my cousin was at the house when I pulled in with it, I was jumpin up and down yelling I GOT IT,, I GOT IT!! Tip was standing on the porch with a great big grin on her face,,, my cousin looked at me and said,,, "whats all the excitement, looks like a great big ol heap of scrap metal to me" :no-no-no:

Good eye Deej,, 41 Chief basket case to be exact.. I will never forget the day I dragged it home,, my cousin was at the house when I pulled in with it, I was jumpin up and down yelling I GOT IT,, I GOT IT!! Tip was standing on the porch with a great big grin on her face,,, my cousin looked at me and said,,, "whats all the excitement, looks like a great big ol heap of scrap metal to me" :no-no-no:

That leaves only one question. Did the 41 ever leave the basket???? My uncle had one that sat in his yard for a few years. It would turn over but never did get it to run. Us youngsters would try to kick it over and it would almost through us over the handlebars.