IGNORED

Dunlop Elite 3 rear tire

dusty roads

Trying to find a new Dunlop Elite 3 rear tire 140/90/16 for my 86 Venture.

Had a puncture in the rear and needs to be replaced. Was interesting getting home.

Have a Elite 3 on the front and tires have about 2500 km on them. Would like to match them.

Looked all over locally and on line and have had no luck finding one...discontinued. Last year I could still find one.

Was wondering if anyone knew of someone who has a tire I'm looking for. Dealer or someone who has a new one they never used... in Southern Ontario.

Any help would be appreciated.

Trying to find a new Dunlop Elite 3 rear tire 140/90/16 for my 86 Venture.

Had a puncture in the rear and needs to be replaced. Was interesting getting home.

Have a Elite 3 on the front and tires have about 2500 km on them. Would like to match them.

Looked all over locally and on line and have had no luck finding one...discontinued. Last year I could still find one.

Was wondering if anyone knew of someone who has a tire I'm looking for. Dealer or someone who has a new one they never used... in Southern Ontario.

Any help would be appreciated.

Try Performance Cycle in Cambridge. I replaced front and back on my Gen2 a couple months ago and their supplier still had inventory.

Is that the right size? 140/90/16? Or is it 150/90/16 ?

Performance Cycle

2630 Beaverdale Rd, Cambridge, ON N3H 4R6

519-658-5819

Have you looked at the Dunlop E 4 it is the replacement for E 3? It seams that a lot of people are using Continental on the rear also.

Will probably go with Elite 4 and give it a try. Can't find Continentals in our area so E 4 by the looks of it.

Try Performance Cycle in Cambridge. I replaced front and back on my Gen2 a couple months ago and their supplier still had inventory.

Is that the right size? 140/90/16? Or is it 150/90/16 ?

Performance Cycle

2630 Beaverdale Rd, Cambridge, ON N3H 4R6

519-658-5819

Talked to Performance Cycle and they don't have any. Will order Elite 4 from fortnine.ca in the morning unless I can find a cheaper one on line.

If I remember an MU 90-16 and MT 90-16 is the same size, just a different load ratings with the “MU” being the higher.

If so Dennis Kirk still has some in stock.

Have checked them out and dealer tells me they are not compatible with wheel with. Can get them locally but they recommend proper size.

I have purchase my last two sets of Elite 3 tires from fortnine.ca mostly because they are delivered to my door for the least amount of money. The main issues are exchange rate and border fees.

Will be getting Elite 4 tire from them. Unfortunately they do not have any of the Elite 3s in size I need.

If I remember an MU 90-16 and MT 90-16 is the same size, just a different load ratings with the “MU” being the higher.

If so Dennis Kirk still has some in stock.

Decided to double check with fourtnigt.ca and was told MU 90-16 is the tire to use. It's a 140 verses the MT which is a 130. Sometimes it pays to talk to others rather then just your local dealer. Ordered the MU Elite 3 to match the front so all should be well.

Thanks Zzyzx for bringing it to my attention and getting me thinking again.

Have checked them out and dealer tells me they are not compatible with wheel with. Can get them locally but they recommend proper size.
If you have a MkI or MkII Venture then those are the correct sizes for the rear. If your dealer doesn't know that then you should rely on a more competent source of information....such as these forums.

Will be getting Elite 4 tire from them. Unfortunately they do not have any of the Elite 3s in size I need.
It's not surprising since the E 3 has been superseded with the E4. I put E3's on my Virago before I ever got a Venture and replaced the tires which came with each of my Ventures with E3's. I think they are awesome tires and can only hope the new ones will be as good.

I've been using the E3s on my Venture, quite like them. ***** can dance just fine in the canyons as well as resisted squaring off on my recent trip that included hundreds of miles of straight roads as well as hundreds more of glorious hills/mtns. As far as I can tell the E3 is a very damn solid choice for the Venture. I think they might not be sticky enough for the Vmax to get ultimate traction but what fun would that be? It will get E3 or E4, whichever is most cost effective. Both my Venture and Vmax came with the Metzler Marathons, I'm going to go ahead and not recomend those to anyone for anything. The Dunlops have my attention by just being really decent tires so far.

I got mine online from Dennis Kirk, I think. I waited for a free shipping deal and snagged them.

dusty roads My last 2 sets were E3 and they were great tires. My currant set which I just installed in the beginning of summer are E4's and so far I am just as happy with them. If you do find E3's beware they may be old stock as Dunlop has stopped making them. Up until this year you could only get the rear for the 1st Gen and had to use an E3 on the front. But now E4 is available for both front and rear. I got mine from Burlington cycle and there price was actually cheaper than Zdeno in Kitchener if you can believe that. Try giving them a call.

Tire size from Dunlop for the front E4 is MR90-18 and for the rear E4 is 140/90B16 for the 1st gen MK-I and MK-II ventures.

A little food for thought,

MR90 is the same as 120/90

and

MU90 is the same as 140/90

Edited by saddlebum

If the tires are kept in a garage out of the sun, I'm not so sure I believe in the age thing up to a point anyway. When I bought my 85 Kawasaki in 2009 with only 1k miles on it, the original tires looked great. I actually rode it 300 miles or so before changing them. I still have those tires. I thought about advertising them on ebay just in case someone is trying to restore a bike to original condition for collector purposes and they would appreciate oe tires. Of course I wouldn't trust old tires for an all day cowpuc run of 100mph across the desert.

If the tires are kept in a garage out of the sun, I'm not so sure I believe in the age thing up to a point anyway. When I bought my 85 Kawasaki in 2009 with only 1k miles on it, the original tires looked great. I actually rode it 300 miles or so before changing them. I still have those tires. I thought about advertising them on ebay just in case someone is trying to restore a bike to original condition for collector purposes and they would appreciate oe tires. Of course I wouldn't trust old tires for an all day cowpuc run of 100mph across the desert.

Years ago it was common to swap out tires on my MX bikes after each weekend of racing cause the tires would lose their edge and not hook up well (can be down right DANGEROUS when setting up for a jump!!).. A year end party at one of my sponsors revealed a HUGE sale on left over Dunlop 752's (MY FAVORITE MXin TIRE).. The dealership had 6 pallets of them that had been stored in their shop and were selling them at 10 bucks a pop = I grabbed 30 sets!! Next season I noticed that my KX500 had gotten into the nasty habit of not just dulling the edge of the knobs on a weekend of racing but had also now started actually tossing knobs!! Literally,,,,, the "knobbys" on those knobby tires were coming unglued (that's a opinion,,,,, thats what it looked like)..

When I discovered this I got ahold of the Dunlop techs and inquired and was told that as rubber ages it hardens and looses its flexability and that was the cause of my tires loosing the knobs... The tech dude clearly stated that this "aging" does not happen just because of direct sunlight exposure BUT sunlight definitely will speed up the process...

Cross over that story with the thought of being out there in the desert on a fully loaded scoot with passenger in tow and,, having the habit of really enjoying of wide open spaces,, no other persons for miles around and a "twitchy" right wrist and it shouldnt be hard to understand my following response to Sky's post above =AMEN BROTHER!!! AMEN!!!!:biker::checkeredflag:

Well Puc that is why I got the name Slowroll. I don't twist the handle like you do. Maybe 75-80 but no more than that. :680: :banana: :guitarist 2:

I know Roller,,,, it's a flaw in my already flawed charachter :8:... It is nice to be loved in spite of it all though :big-grin-emoticon:!!!!

dusty roads My last 2 sets were E3 and they were great tires. My currant set which I just installed in the beginning of summer are E4's and so far I am just as happy with them. If you do find E3's beware they may be old stock as Dunlop has stopped making them. Up until this year you could only get the rear for the 1st Gen and had to use an E3 on the front. But now E4 is available for both front and rear. I got mine from Burlington cycle and there price was actually cheaper than Zdeno in Kitchener if you can believe that. Try giving them a call.

Tire size from Dunlop for the front E4 is MR90-18 and for the rear E4 is 140/90B16 for the 1st gen MK-I and MK-II ventures.

A little food for thought,

MR90 is the same as 120/90

and

MU90 is the same as 140/90

Finally installed the MU90 E3 yesterday...had to take it to a shop to put on with machine. Two of us tried Wednesday night and found it impossible with the stiff sidewall. Tire manufacture date is 4615 so its 3 years old. The ride compared to the low mileage 404 which was on the back is far superior. No more road snake wobbling or barely noticeable. In fairness I did readjust the swing arm bearings so it might of helped a bit. The 404 worked well last summer when new but not this summer and degraded really bad after about 2500km. Chasing the problem with Marcarl and could not pin it down the poor ride...wondering around on the road. Was cold last night so did not get a chance to go for a longer ride to test properly. Thanks to all the members comments re tires and next time will do a bit more research before taking some kids advice behind the counter.

Finally installed the MU90 E3 yesterday...had to take it to a shop to put on with machine. Two of us tried Wednesday night and found it impossible with the stiff sidewall. Tire manufacture date is 4615 so its 3 years old. The ride compared to the low mileage 404 which was on the back is far superior. No more road snake wobbling or barely noticeable. In fairness I did readjust the swing arm bearings so it might of helped a bit. The 404 worked well last summer when new but not this summer and degraded really bad after about 2500km. Chasing the problem with Marcarl and could not pin it down the poor ride...wondering around on the road. Was cold last night so did not get a chance to go for a longer ride to test properly. Thanks to all the members comments re tires and next time will do a bit more research before taking some kids advice behind the counter.

The 1st thing I noticed going from the 404 to the E3 and now E4 was the disappearance of that horrid road snake tracking. you will like the E3 I got real good millage out of mine I actually never wore them out. The 1st set I changed due to the rubber getting hard from age and loosing grip in the corners, probably cause the bike sat out in the sun a lot. the last set I changed due to side wall cracking probably for the same reason. Two sets of tires over 11 years and 65,000 KM I don't think I can really complain about, since I probably could have done better if my bike was kept parked in the garage. Been thinking about one of those oversize fold back baby carriage tops they make for bikes.