IGNORED

Trailer Wireing Harness Available

You probably could. It's too late for me but I'm sure there will be others needing them. It's not like the usual ones. Due to the way the lights are setup on the Star Venture, it requires three separate connectors on the bike side. You would have to find one to look at.

I think my friend Dion was referring to me in his post, and I am already thinking about it. Buckfann was kind enough to let me poke around his bike a month or so ago looking for the connectors needed, but we just did not dig deep enough. I am sure I could even buy the subharness from EC and add the Isolator (4 or 5 wire) and sell it for less than what they are selling a complete system for and it would be easier to install.

I may just reverse engineer the subharness, that is what EC did to me years ago. I presented a sample of my Royal Star subharmess to Bushtec at one of the rallies in Daytona, hoping to get some sales , but they turned the unit over to EC and about a month later EC was offering the same subharness on their site. So we will see.

I think my friend Dion was referring to me in his post, and I am already thinking about it. Buckfann was kind enough to let me poke around his bike a month or so ago looking for the connectors needed, but we just did not dig deep enough. I am sure I could even buy the subharness from EC and add the Isolator (4 or 5 wire) and sell it for less than what they are selling a complete system for and it would be easier to install.

I may just reverse engineer the subharness, that is what EC did to me years ago. I presented a sample of my Royal Star subharmess to Bushtec at one of the rallies in Daytona, hoping to get some sales , but they turned the unit over to EC and about a month later EC was offering the same subharness on their site. So we will see.

They are pricey. Mine wasn't terrible because I didn't need the third component, the 5 to 4 adapter because the lights on my Bushtec match up without it. Mine came to about $126.00 plus a couple bucks for shipping.

If you can do it better and/or cheaper, then you should go for it. I haven't seen it yet but they told me over the phone that there are three connectors connecting it to the bike. I don't remember but something like an 8 pin, a 5 pin, and a 4 pin. There is apparently not a single location to tie in the connector as some of the lights are on the saddlebags.

They are pricey. Mine wasn't terrible because I didn't need the third component, the 5 to 4 adapter because the lights on my Bushtec match up without it. Mine came to about $126.00 plus a couple bucks for shipping.

If you can do it better and/or cheaper, then you should go for it. I haven't seen it yet but they told me over the phone that there are three connectors connecting it to the bike. I don't remember but something like an 8 pin, a 5 pin, and a 4 pin. There is apparently not a single location to tie in the connector as some of the lights are on the saddlebags.

When I looked at Buckfan's bike it became very obvious that there was no one master joint for the fender harness like on the Royal Stars, Ventures and other Star bikes from Yamaha and with out having a wiring schematic at the time we were just shooting in the dark disconnecting plugs to see what did not work. A few days later I found the schematics here on the forum and confirmed that yes three different locations needed to be tapped into. Much will depend on the availability of the connectors as to whether I can build a complete system or will I need to order their sub harness and add the isolation system. I have a sub harness on order so I can get firsthand knowledge of the connectors.

From what I could see on the schematic and looking at the photos on ECs site, there is one connector for each saddle bag for the turn signals and one under the seat for tail and brake.

I will keep everyone posted on my progress.

They told me that to ensure that they actually got the correct connectors for this first batch, they actually ordered them from Japan.

I can believe that, some times it is tricky looking a picture and trying to match up the details to be sure you get the right one, I have been lucky so far with my suppliers, hope they have the sub harness in stock and can ship soon so I can get a look at it. I hope Yamaha did not pull trick like BMW and Harley where they contracted with Amphenol to get proprietary connectors that you can only get if you are a licensed shop, but does not sound like it if EC was able to procure them.

• 5 months later...

Hey Freebird, how simple is it to install the wire harness? I do have a 5 to 4 converter attached to my trailer, but would rather loose the large box attached to the hitch coupler. The cleaner, the better. I also like tight concealed trailer connector. Any photos would be greatly accepted ;)

Hey Freebird, how simple is it to install the wire harness? I do have a 5 to 4 converter attached to my trailer, but would rather loose the large box attached to the hitch coupler. The cleaner, the better. I also like tight concealed trailer connector. Any photos would be greatly accepted ;)

Check with Rob “Buckfan” he did his install.

Hey Bucfan, how was the install? I do understand what Freebird was saying about winter. The frozen rain in WI don't go down the drain that fast either. W/ a detached garage (the wife calls it my toy box), it gets pretty cold, even w/ a propane heater, when working on my toys.

It was simple, seat off, saddle bags off. Everything was plug and play. If your trailer has dedicated turn signals you will not need the 5 to 4 converter. The only concern is the top bolts on the hitch, they thread into aluminum and are easy to strip. I had to get a longer bolt and put a nut on the outside after I stripped one of mine. An hour or two to install. Instructions were good too.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Now you are confusing me. What hitch bolts have to be removed to install the wiring harness? Are you talking about installing the hitch?
Sorry, I was talking about both. If your hitch is already on than you don't have to do anything to it. Just remove seat and bags for the harness. Harness is plug and play, very easy.

Thanks Bucfan11. I just finished installing the lower deflectors and highway pegs today and I will have more fun tomorrow installing the trailer harness that includes installing the 5 to 4 wire converter, the 2" handlebar risers and play w/ the Freewire. The snow is melting nicely here in Milwaukee. I even took a short ride on my winter cycle today.

Thanks Bucfan11. I just finished installing the lower deflectors and highway pegs today and I will have more fun tomorrow installing the trailer harness that includes installing the 5 to 4 wire converter, the 2" handlebar risers and play w/ the Freewire. The snow is melting nicely here in Milwaukee. I even took a short ride on my winter cycle today.
Geez... I'm a little sunburnt from yesterday. ;) At least you don't have to deal with spring break... Life in Florida can be tough!

Geez... I'm a little sunburnt from yesterday. ;) At least you don't have to deal with spring break... Life in Florida can be tough!

I don't know which is worst, sunburn or cold wind burn:mad:. I think you have me trumped on that one :cool:

• 4 years later...

hey there guys, i realize this is an old thread, but,thought i would give it a shot anyhow. i am on a 2020 venture tc, and am looking for a wire harness for a trailor as well, but, am coming up empy. does anyone knoe where i could find one or would someone have and detaied instructions on how to build one? any help would be greatly appriciated.

I am still building them and have replied to your PM messages.

For any one interested, I do build these for folks in need, one issue that has come up in the past few months is that the 5 way isolator I have always used is no longer available, I have a couple of work arounds for that, but like to talk it over with the buyer to make sure they are on board with the work around.

4 Way isolator / converters have not been an issue to date, but the prices are steadily increasing.

I have been told the 5 way isolator went out of production sometime in 2021 or 2022 with no estimate for a return to production.

I am happy to help where ever I can if you are in need.