IGNORED

Need your thoughts

Condor

Years ago I had a bucket list that included doing Alaska. The plan was to pick up a BMW 1100GS, ride it up and back, and sell it at the end of the summer, but that was long ago and obviously didn't happen. Now I run across this GS, and just because it's in my blood stream it sparked some old memories... It's up for auction, non-op'ed for 5 years, and in one of the pics it looks like there isn't any oil showing in the sight glass... Am I nutz to be even be looking at this thing???

https://www.westauction.com/auction/1999/item/1996-bmw-r1100gs-touring-motorcycle-249592

I don't think your nuts at all for looking at it!!

Maybe the bike was tilted back so the oil looked low.

Or, since is was last registered in 2014 and the tires looked fresh, it had a horrible and sudden death?

Who knows for sure from the pics. I personally would never consider buying something complex and used online.

Good luck!!

Hey Condor,

Oil level is probably just a function of the bike angle.

On the other hand - do you enjoy having your legs jammed up underneath you? I've been on some long trips with BMW riders and noticed them trying to shake out their legs on straight stretches of roads. The cylinders sticking out on each side pretty much prevent leg movement forward to a more relaxed position. I cannot imagine why I might want one.

zag

Hey Condor,

On the other hand - do you enjoy having your legs jammed up underneath you? I've been on some long trips with BMW riders and noticed them trying to shake out their legs on straight stretches of roads. The cylinders sticking out on each side pretty much prevent leg movement forward to a more relaxed position. I cannot imagine why I might want one.

zag

As an ex GS100PD owner, the GS's are exremely good distance bikes. I never had an issue with needing to stretch legs, but the pegs on the older bikes were 'further forward' then the RS/RT's.

It looks good, but it does have 134k miles on it and it's 22 yrs old. What would you do with it?

I saw that but those boxers can last a while... The age doesn't bother me... I have four VR's that are older.... And... when you get as old as me???

Hey Condor,

zag

It would have to be sitting on the rear wheel to get the oil to not show.. Maybe it evaporated?? :-) :whistling: I owned a 1979 R100/7 that felt good, and I also like the feet back position of the 1stGens... It's just a personal. Lots of riders complain a lot about the foot position...

As an ex GS100PD owner, the GS's are exremely good distance bikes. I never had an issue with needing to stretch legs, but the pegs on the older bikes were 'further forward' then the RS/RT's.

I think anything that allows any stretch forward once in a while is a good thing...:mytruck:

Personally agree with all the posts.

What I read was KLM not miles? .58 of..

There are features I like.

I did spend some time last fall with a BMW rider our age, it was the only bike for him, I might add his love of was well expressed. His mishaps cost him large tho he mentioned in a more quiet tone;)

I work a while on German cars only hobby wise but on many. I do recall that the learning curve took quite a while to get and understand! The competitive nature in their reasoning on how things fit... 3rd dimension thinking or - something in the water they sip on. lol

And this would be my strike against. Parts and repairs for me need to be easy enough when touring to remote places!

A quick experience, touring with my boys across the prettiest parts of this Continent... I busted a cat, up in a place called WAWA. If I had continued on I would have cook the engine. $3000.00 to get that cat to us or car to them.

This is what we pay out when we are nowhere in or on a German ride.. Of course I made a way thru the problem but just to say..

By no means am I suggesting a German ride is not a good ride but they are known for being hard on the budget..

It looks like the brake line off the rear brake reservoir is disconnected ?!

It's just hanging there.

I missed that... nice catch... Looks like the hose from the reserve down to the rear master.. If it is a brake problem that's something I do know a little about... :-)

Hey Condor, as you may know, in addition to Ventures I dabble with BMW scoots as well. So here are a couple of "personal opinions" I can contribute to your question.

1. Those BMW "oil head" engines are pretty well bulletproof. There is a reason BMW GS bikes are the prefered choice and what you hear people doing "around the world" trips on. Plus, that is basically the same engine that BMW has been using and refining over almost 90 years of the BMW Motorrad existence. Fairly route to see these motors go 200,000+ miles on the RS model Police bikes used by highway patrol departments (which has basically the same engine of the GS). I've seen them for sale on craigslist with 300,000 and still going strong.

2. They are so easy to work on! A man of your talents and expertise will find this motor a piece of cake to work on and maintain! You will laugh at how easy a valve adjustment is on this bike compared to what we have to do on our Ventures! A 30-minute job on the GS compared to a weekend on a Venture MKII for a hack wannabe amateur mechanic like me.

3. Oil level in the picture does not worry me one bit. This bike appears to have been sitting for a long time. The key to these bikes is to check the oil level on the centre stand when the bike is "WARM".....I think it even says that in the manual. Long story short, this is usually the process BMW riders are advised to follow when checking oil levels:

a. go ride the crap out of your bike.

b. park it on the sidestand for a few minutes while you take off your gear, and try to wipe the grin off your face.

c. put it on the center stand.

d. observe the oil level. the goal is for it to be halfway up the sight glass.

4. Although the 1100GS is still a large, powerful, and formidable motorcycle, it will feel like a feather under you compared to the heavy Venture and road bikes you are used to riding. The GS is actually the bike that most BMW riders go to as they get older or have injuries and don't feel comfortable riding the big BMW LT road bikes etc anymore. And once they try a GS they usually comment on the BMW forums saying they wonder why they didn't go to the lighter GS bike sooner!

5. The GS will go ANYWHERE! I personally believe it is right in the sweet spot of a street machine and still very capable in the dirt. It is not a street machine trying to be a dirt bike, nor is it a dirt bike trying to run on the street.....it was designed to be a jack of all trades.

6. Your auction bike looks to be taken well care of from the pictures. She probably was a "highway commuter garage queen" most of her life and then changed owners back in 2014 and has been parked outside in the tame California sun since then. Plus it has some interesting farkles on it (aftermarket rear alloy wheel?). She probably had a pampered life in California with mostly highway miles......and if the owner took good care of the outside they probably did the maintenance for the inside too.......but that is just a guess of course.

Get it cheap, have some fun turning wrenches and getting to know your new scoot, and then ride the heck out of it!!!!! If you don't like it once you try it then you can sell it to me (cheap as well!):cool:

All the best to you and your decision!!!

If a GS boxer fell into my lap and I could justify the purchase I would do it in a second! Not sure where else you can find a full size competent touring bike that does not fear the end of the pavement. Lots of nice middle weights out there but there is really nothing on the market like a GS. It's in a class by itself. Thats not to say that I would sneeze at a KTM 990 or 1190 Adv bike. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY does a Vtwin like KTM (or Ducati for that matter) If your used to the soul crushing weight of a Venture then a GS should be doable. From what I can see, most of the folks that ride them are height challenged relative to such a statuesque steed. Lowering kits and seats abound on the aftermarket. I would love to have a boxer, even in an RT. I'm biased, I prefer parallel and flat twins to Vtwins. Although Vtwins seem to run fine if the jugs are spread out to 60 or 75 degrees, but there is nothing like a boxer.

I cant tell you how many times my wallet was circling the drain as I stood before a GS12 ADV, it has happened more than a couple times in the last 10 years. If I had to choose just one bike for the rest of my life it would likely be a GS12ADV.

I totally think you should do it if it fits within the budget! We should be taking our bucket lists seriously.

Thanks for the comments Van. Some good thoughts. Like I mentioned in a previous post I rode a '79 R100/7 back in the day and liked it. So I'm not a nu-be to BMW. The reputation of the GS was one of the reasons I had it as my top choice for the 'bucket' Alaska trip.

I cant tell you how many times my wallet was circling the drain as I stood before a GS12 ADV, it has happened more than a couple times in the last 10 years. If I had to choose just one bike for the rest of my life it would likely be a GS12ADV.

I totally think you should do it if it fits within the budget! We should be taking our bucket lists seriously.

And I'm hoping that someone bids the 'H' out of it. I really don't need it, but if it stays cheap I'll be their Huckleberry.... :-)

I wish I had pertinent info for you, Condor, but alas I don't. Only BMWs I were ever around was a buddy's back in the late 60s, it was an R65. In my 20ish mind it looked silly especially next to my Norton 750 Commando. Before I purchased my 02 RSMV (after bad experience with a HD Ultra 2000) I tried all the bikes for touring. The BMW was too tall and stiff for me. Obviously since I never had involvement with them. I did have a Maico 400 motocross though (is that European?).:think:

I would like you to get this machine cheap and I will wait for every post you write on how it is going.:happy65:

Run this by Puc since he knows the bike world.

:farmer: