IGNORED

Check this out. 87 VR with 2369 original miles.

Like he said, it belongs in a museum!

Betcha he doesn't get a single bid at that price regardless of how nice it is...

I have to agree, thats a hefty chunk of change for an old bike. IMHO Ventures just aren't rare enough to command that price, regardless of condition. Ya never know though, the right buyer might just see it.

I agree, it's not worth the price but it blows my mind how someone buys a bike and just stores it for years. There was a car dealer here that did it with low mileage used cars, in the end he had a huge building full of low mileage old cars that nobody wanted.

I saw that Venture for sale on eBay a couple days ago.

Some red flags were immediately flying:

1. It is not the proper color for a 1987. There was no blue 1987 ROYALE.

2. It has 1990 forks (gaiters and the electric anti-dive on the side instead of in front of the forks as a 1987 should be).

3. The wheels are silver (like the 1990 and newer) not black like the original 1987.

4. The left foot peg rubber is worn more than a bike with 2369 miles should be worn.

5. The "chevron" pinstriping on the trunk.

6. The black and gray seat is not consistent with a 1987; it is what was found on 1990 and newer.

Bottom line, despite the stated VIN (which IS for a 1987 Royale), the bike is not a "museum quality" 1987. Perhaps a 1989 or 1990 and not precisely correct even for a 1989.

Edited by Prairiehammer

I totally agree with @Prairiehammer on this one.....something smells fishy about this bike. The left front crash bar appears to be pretty scratched as well (distortion of the chrome in the picture) so she has been laid down during her life on the left side.

So do you think it was an accident rebuild with later model parts, repaint to a 1990 colour (based on the extra non-standard chevron on the back trunk), or just a plain old Odometer 5 digit miscalculation?

Might be the lighting thing in the pictures, but it looks like a slightly different shade of dark blue metallic than what Mother Yamaha put on her kids.....but it could just be me. Also, why would they put additional tacky car plastic bumper "Chrome" strips on the bags and fairing if she was pristine and stored almost immediately after purchase in a warehouse? Oh well, people do interesting things I guess.

Long story short, not something I would touch as a buyer. But if someone does buy the bike I hope they join Venturerider.org so we can get to the bottom of this mystery!!!

I saw that Venture for sale on eBay a couple days ago.

1. It is not the proper color for a 1987. There was no blue 1987 ROYALE.

2. It has 1990 forks (gaiters and the electric anti-dive on the side instead of in front of the forks as a 1987 should be).

3. The wheels are silver (like the 1990 and newer) not black like the original 1987.

4. The left foot peg rubber is worn more than a bike with 2369 miles should be worn.

5. The "chevron" pinstriping on the trunk.

6. The black and gray seat is not consistent with a 1987; it is what was found on 1990 and newer.

Bottom line, despite the stated VIN (which IS for a 1987 Royale), the bike is not a "museum quality" 1987. Perhaps a 1989 or 1990 and not precisely correct even for a 1989.

Hey PH,you have some keen eyes sir, good job!!

Edited by uhfradarwill

I sent the seller a copy of my earlier post:

His response:

New message from: tammytleming (4) You are correct about some of the parts being 1993. The ad states it is a 1987 in 1993 clothes. It has only 2369 miles. Original base bike is a 1987. Mentioned it should be in a museum because of the pristine condition it is in. I am going to add some additional pictures of the foot pegs. They only have 2369 miles.

He did add two pics of the footpegs to the eBay listing. I still maintain that the left peg shows too much wear for 2369 miles.He has not changed the listing to reflect that it is a "1987 in 1993 clothes." He did remove the "museum" comment. :confused24::doh:

Edited by Prairiehammer

And then there's the thing about: "Engine is started every month to keep the carbs fresh"!!!

For 240 MONTHS??? Who charges the battery, drains and/or freshens the gas, rolls the wheels to 'unsquare' the tires, etc.

The 'Owner' must have a Day Job writing for Marvel Comics.

Still that machine is in amazing condition, but... we wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, nonetheless.

Rgds, WRIDR

Edited by WRIDR
sorry, computer locked up.