IGNORED

Spark Plugs, 2018

--

I was just re-reading what I was supposed to be doing to my bike besides riding it. Turns out I was supposed to change the plugs at 8,000 miles. I'm at 9,000 now. Performance doesn't seem to be suffering--I'm still getting over 50 mpg on each fill up. The maintenance book recommends NGK/DPR 7EA-9 standard plug. That's the same size as I've been using in my Road Stars, sometimes 20,000 miles and more without any problem with iridium. The standard is about $2.49 as opposed to iridium at $7.99 at Auto Zone. I didn't mind the extra if it meant that it was going to last many times more miles before changing, plus not having to take the tank off, etc.

I haven't taken the tank off yet on this new bike, so I don't know how hard/easy it will be. Anybody done it yet?

I know that while I imagine the iridiums last longer, there is a trade off. The copper core (standard) plugs are actually more efficient, but have a shorter life. The iridium wire core are less efficient, but have a longer life and are more prone to overheating. But then the Road Star was nowhere as "sophisticated" and may be able to adapt to less technology. The Eluder maintenance charts don't suggest other options.

Boy, the choices we have to make!

--

I just can't imagine the plugs really needing to be changed every 8,000 miles. I may change them at 8,000 the first time but if they look good, I will likely go longer after that. At least 12,000 - 15,000.

No, I haven't yet pulled the tank but if you look at my trailer hitch install thread, you'll see that I pulled darn near everything else. :(

• 3 months later...

--

Update on plugs. I haven't changed my plugs yet on my Eluder, but I have nearly 40,000 on the iridium plugs on both my Road Stars which take the same plug, a NGK DPR-7EA-9. The difference on the iridiums is they are DPR-7EIX-9. Since all three of my bikes take the same plug, I went ahead and ordered some off EBay. I got 12 plugs for $48.03 with shipping. So for the extra $1.50 or so per plug over standard plugs, I thought I did okay.

I'll be putting in the new iridiums at about 13-14,000 miles. I'll be heading out on an 8,000 miler after that so I don't want to do any work at all on the bike on the road.

--