IGNORED

Not Loving This Hitchdoc Install

Well, it took a lot longer than I anticipated but I finally got the hitch installed and the bike put back together. Somehow I managed to use all the parts that I took off of it and there were a lot of them. Man....all these gadgets are nice until you start having to unplug all those wires just to remove the trunk and rear fender.

Hitchdoc makes a very robust hitch. I removed a Hitchdoc form an RSV once and swore I would never do it again. They were the only ones I found that is making a receiver hitch at this time though. Had I known how much work it was going to be, I would have considered a non-receiver type hitch if it would have made it easier.

Anyway, it is done and I have absolutely no intention of ever removing it. I would take a torch and cut it off first.

IMG_1188.jpg IMG_1189.jpg

Anyway, it is done and I have absolutely no intention of ever removing it. I would take a torch and cut it off first.

If you don't leave the receiver in when you are not using it, you will probably never have to cut it off with a torch. Keeping the inside of the receiver greased will also help to prevent it from rusting.

On the other hand, if you never ride in the rain, it will probably never rust.

Glad I went with the big bike hitch. Only the bags, seat and back brace needed removal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow Don! That’s the same hitch I want, but I had no idea you have to remove the trunk as well. Oh joy! I am sooo looking forward to that... NOT! :nanner:

Thanks for the “heads up”.

BTW, the Ultimate backrest looks great!

It could I suppose. I've never had an issue but it could happen. They would have to prove cause and effect. It's a chance that you take though. I think every bike made has a disclaimer about towing trailers.

Page 2-4 of your owners manual

Page2-4.jpg

Pulling a trailer will not invalidate your factory 1 year warranty, but will destroy your subsequent 4 year service contract. Cause and effect does not have to be proven under a service contract.

• 1 year later...
If you don't leave the receiver in when you are not using it, you will probably never have to cut it off with a torch. Keeping the inside of the receiver greased will also help to prevent it from rusting.

On the other hand, if you never ride in the rain, it will probably never rust.

The Venture Frame looks fairly stout but curious about the welds . Other hitch manufacturers only use the upper and lower connections , wonder what the strength is there versus your full setup?

getting ready to purchase a hitch and looking for some warm fuzzies....

The Venture Frame looks fairly stout but curious about the welds . Other hitch manufacturers only use the upper and lower connections , wonder what the strength is there versus your full setup?

getting ready to purchase a hitch and looking for some warm fuzzies....

I purchased the Rivco Hitch, easy install as only the saddle bags need to be removed. With the ball removed the receiver is hidden behind the license plate.

https://www.rivcoproducts.com/shop/yamaha/hitches-yamaha/trailer-hitch-for-2018-and-newer-yamaha-star-venture-transcontinental-and-eluder-2/

CAUTION!!!!! The frame is aluminum, do not over Tighten the upper bolts, the threads will strip (ask me how I know).. use a good torque wrench.

Also Electrical Connections has a complete plug & play harness for the Venture.

https://electricalconnection.com/index.php/product/isolator-yamaha-venture-eluder/

Very happy with this hitch.

Hope this helps...

I'd like to know more about the Rivco Hitch - any issues while pulling your trailer?

Also, for those who worry about voiding warrantees its good to know that in 1975 the federal government passed a set of laws called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. This act states your vehicle warranty cannot be voided or canceled for using any non-original equipment manufacturer (O.E.M.) part or accessory (like a trailer hitch, filter, or oil) unless the manufacturer of the vehicle can prove the use of this non-O.E.M. part or accessory caused a failure of any part or parts on the vehicle. Usually quoting this fact to the dealer or manufacturer changes their attitude pretty quickly!

I'd like to know more about the Rivco Hitch - any issues while pulling your trailer?

No issues, the hitch is well made and the Ball and tongue are chrome plated.

Last year I towed the trailer Across Rt 6 in Pa and then to Stowe Vermont with no issues. BTW the Venture pulled the trailer thru the mountains with ease and that's two up riding. So if you go with the Rivco product I think you will be happy.

Just an fyi I purchased the harness, converter (my trailer is a 4 wire setup) and isolator from Electrical Connections, all three components are plug and play and easy to install.

I purchased the Rivco Hitch, easy install as only the saddle bags need to be removed. With the ball removed the receiver is hidden behind the license plate.

https://www.rivcoproducts.com/shop/yamaha/hitches-yamaha/trailer-hitch-for-2018-and-newer-yamaha-star-venture-transcontinental-and-eluder-2/

CAUTION!!!!! The frame is aluminum, do not over Tighten the upper bolts, the threads will strip (ask me how I know).. use a good torque wrench.

Also Electrical Connections has a complete plug & play harness for the Venture.

https://electricalconnection.com/index.php/product/isolator-yamaha-venture-eluder/

Very happy with this hitch.

Hope this helps...

--

This is what I've purchased for my bike. Links above are good. For the elecrical connections, you need the sub harness and isolator. If you're not sure on which plug converter, give them a call and they will get the right stuff easily. Good folks and real good on delivery.

--

• 2 months later...

Also, for those who worry about voiding warrantees its good to know that in 1975 the federal government passed a set of laws called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. This act states your vehicle warranty cannot be voided or canceled for using any non-original equipment manufacturer (O.E.M.) part or accessory (like a trailer hitch, filter, or oil) unless the manufacturer of the vehicle can prove the use of this non-O.E.M. part or accessory caused a failure of any part or parts on the vehicle. Usually quoting this fact to the dealer or manufacturer changes their attitude pretty quickly!

curious about the trailer your pullin what kind of weight and how the ride is ?

I have noticed on the RVTC that it picks up side draft winds pretty good and image the trailer might tend to whip Your thoughts ?

Thanks

PJ