IGNORED

Anybody seen these new helmets?

grubsie

They are really no more expensive than a decent quality traditional lid. Which would prompt me to ask how they measure up in terms of quality. I like the AC idea, pretty co... er, I mean neat.

i agree, Casey, my helmets (Shoei) cost more than that without the AC so they must be scaling back somewhere

This is interesting. IF they are still around the next time I need a new helmet I will give them serious consideration. As it is now I am uncomfortable riding in temps over 80°F, and dangerous heat is over 90°F. I have always had issues with heat, and since my heart issues my heat tolerance has gotten much worse. If it makes the difference between riding or not riding, $600 is cheap.

The helmet is DOT and EU so it should be comparable safety to other high end helmets.

i was just reading a review on these. they not only cool but dehumidify ,so even on cool days they will stop the fogging of sheild. and they are not much heavier than standard helmets. because of plugging into bikes electric,so no need for battery in helmet. but they said it does draw a lot, so you will need a beafy altenator. but they just came out so im sure they will get better with more options soon.

i was just reading a review on these. they not only cool but dehumidify ,so even on cool days they will stop the fogging of sheild. and they are not much heavier than standard helmets. because of plugging into bikes electric,so no need for battery in helmet. but they said it does draw a lot, so you will need a beafy altenator. but they just came out so im sure they will get better with more options soon.

I have to wonder where the water from dehumidifying goes! Maybe it drips down the back of your neck and helps keep you cool?

zag

I guess it depends on the weather. It will only dehumidify if the temp it is cooling to is less than the dew point. Out west where the air temp is very high and the dew point is low there would not be any water to drip. Even around here where humidity is high, if it only drops the air temp 20°F below ambiant and the temp is 90°F then the dew point would have to be a tropical 70°F+ before there will be any condensation. The part that I would worry about most would be if it is blowing cool air onto the face shield it will help to keep it from fogging on the inside but may cause fogging on the outside. On hot humid days I often get fogging on the outside of the wind shield of my truck and on the outside of the windows in my house.