IGNORED

Went down last night

WIZ

Tina and I was out for a nice ride last night when a deer came running off the bank and hit us on the left side off the fairing and dumped the bike. We were very fortunate that we were able to stay with the bike for the first 75 feet or so then came off about five feet before the crash bar dug in deep enough to flip the bike to the other side. Thankfully no broken bones just road rash.

Ron

Also glad you are no worse for wear. Road rash is no pleasure but definitely the better of some alternative results.

Don't know what you folks do down there for marking deer crossing areas but up here we have taken to using picture signs instead of written signs. Seems to make a difference since we have come to the conclusion that deer can't read.

Woah!! Sorry to hear this but glad you're OK!!

On a side note, we had a deer run into the side of the Impala a couple of evenings ago. I saw it leap from the center median just as the front of the car was at the same spot, and heard him hit (right on the "C" pillar) and saw him fly in my rear view mirror. Pulled over and saw no damage but notified 911 anyway as I had no clue about the status of the deer. Washed the car and found just a slight scratch in the paint that should buff out with no problems the next day.

I know all about hitting a deer with the Venture, we were on the way back from MD and only had the bike for 4 days and 500 miles when we hit one head on! Managed to get stopped but it took a good quarter of a mile and the tank was slapping my thighs! Not a scratch to us but $6000 worth of damage to the bike...

So glad to hear you and your wife are going to be OK. This year my wife and I have seen more close deer than any other year and I have become especially concerned.

Fortunately, only one gave us a real scare as it looked like it was going to jump in front of us, then ran parallel to us for several yards before turning back into the woods. While it was running parallel, I did the only thing I could think of at the time was to grab hard on the brakes to scrub off as much speed as possible. Had it jumped in front of us, probably the only thing I could have done was hold on for dear life. (pardon the pun)

All the deer we have seen have been during daytime hours. But then again, we don't ride at night anymore. I am hearing more reports than usual year about deer accidents and close calls on several bike forums.

Didn't mean to wander off topic ...Glad you 2 are OK.

Really sorry to hear about this Ron, but glad you two were not seriously hurt. Hopefully you both heal up quickly, that roadrash can be pretty painful depending how bad it is. From past experience white cotton button down shirts about 2 sizes too big mite be most comfortable for awhile.

Take Care, Craig