IGNORED

Lexus SUV meets Venture with bad result

beastwood

Well, my beautiful 2008 RSV Black Cherry is no more. I am okay, uninjured.

Here is the short version. I'm camping in the mountains at 6500 feet. Wake up two Mondays ago to get breakfast at about 0800am. Obeying speed laws, use turn signal, slow to a stop to make a left turn on a two lane road. The motorist in a pickup behind me decides to make a whip around pass maneuver to my right. He does, I check my mirror, I see the SUV which was behind him, which appears to be stopping, then, BAM I get rear ended. I roll off wearing full gear uninjured. The mom in the SUV was taking her daughter to school and just didn't stop in time. The rear end of the bike collapses, fender, bag guards and bags and trunk absorb the impact. Then the bike hits the ground and more stuff on the left side are damaged. It is totaled.

The take away: In addition to observing laws and avoiding errors, take into account the emotional tone of traffic. Monday morning in the mountains is crammed with service workers going to work, impatient,moms taking kids to school, etc. It was not a good time for going to breakfast on that busy street. We on two wheels need to anticipate other peoples failures before we get bit.

The result: Friends of mine in the Gold Wing community set me up with a beautiful 2006 GL 1800.

Riding will continue!!!!!!

20180826_151515_Film1.jpg

Sorry to hear this news Bob. I remember your beautiful ride from The Dallas. Glad to hear you were fine though, which is really the only important thing. Enjoy your Wing and glad you’re still up to riding. Doug

I've read where the experts say that all accidents can be avoided but I never really agreed with that. All you can do is keep your head in the game and take all reasonable precautions. So sorry to hear about the accident but so very happy that you are still here to talk about it. Hope that new Wing brings you many miles of joy.